Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-30-2016, 09:12 AM

Default Taking someone hunting if they do not own a PAL

Hello, i want to introduce hunting to one of my good friends, i have all my forms necessary for hunting and have my PAL.
He has taken the course but is waiting for his card to come in but i am going hunting very soon and he wants to come.
He will be under my supervision at all times and i will be holding the rifles, can he still use my .303 or .22 to hunt along side me?
( he has taken the hunter education course and does own a WIN)
Thank you for reading my question
Fenrirson2012
Old 09-30-2016, 09:17 AM

PAL allows you to possess and acquire firearms. It has nothing to do directly with hunting. A person can use a firearm without PAL if they are under DIRECT supervision of someone who does have a PAL. That means your friend can shoot if you are right beside them and can take control of the situation if necessary. He can carry the rifle as well, he just has to be near you, not 50 yards away.

So if you and your friend both have your hunter's education done and have your hunting licenses in order, you can go hunting together.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:18 AM

I go hunting with my girlfriend, she doesn't have her PAL, but she carries my .22 and I carry the shotgun for birds.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
PAL allows you to possess and acquire firearms. It has nothing to do directly with hunting. A person can use a firearm without PAL if they are under DIRECT supervision of someone who does have a PAL. That means your friend can shoot if you are right beside them and can take control of the situation if necessary. He can carry the rifle as well, he just has to be near you, not 50 yards away.

So if you and your friend both have your hunter's education done and have your hunting licenses in order, you can go hunting together.
^ this.

Your need hunting licences to hunt. Remember that an archer doesn't need a PAL to hunt. Direct supervisions (i.e. 'arms length') from the person without the PAL is required.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:28 AM

To enforce this is near impossible.
I'm sure non PAL holders on hunting trips with their hunting PALs are off on another cutline etc.
Anyone ever had their licenses checked and been asked for PAL info ?
I know, the idea is to know the rules and follow them.

TBark
Old 09-30-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrirson2012 View Post
He has taken the course but is waiting for his card to come in but
Did he get his course completion packet? The one with the pile of magazines, regs, certificate, badge etc? If so, there should be a small business card with the course number on it. The plastic course card comes several weeks later, but he isn't required to carry that anyway. He just needs to apply the course number to his WIN account in order to be eligible to purchase tags.

Last edited by Stinky Buffalo; 09-30-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:38 AM
Banned

So, say you're hunting accompanied by someone without a hunting license or PAL, said person is NOT handling a firearm, is that legal? Can a friend just come along for the ride or do they have to be licensed just to be there with you?
Old 09-30-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesteelcrush View Post
So, say you're hunting accompanied by someone without a hunting license or PAL, said person is NOT handling a firearm, is that legal? Can a friend just come along for the ride or do they have to be licensed just to be there with you?
Coming along for the ride would be fine as your question suggests you would be "hunting" from a vehicle. Other than that your buddy without a PAL or valid hunting license would not be allowed to participate in a hunt in any way other than as an observer.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesteelcrush View Post
This is where it gets a little tricky. Anyone can come along with you, but they can't help you hunt, as that would require a license. So technically they can't spot for you, carry stuff for you, etc. etc. Now proving that an unarmed person accompanying you is hunting might be hard for F&W, but that's the law.

Someone also earlier mentioned the unlikelihood that you would ever be questioned when out hunting about your PAL, or lack thereof. That's true. I've been stopped by F&W a number of times and never been asked to produce a PAL, only hunting licenses. Provincial authorities don't seem to much care about that (There was a time when I believe they were directed specifically to NOT ask for it. Correct me if I'm wrong). HOWEVER, the chance does exist that you could be stopped by the RCMP. I wouldn't chance it.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Coming along for the ride would be fine as your question suggests you would be "hunting" from a vehicle. Other than that your buddy without a PAL or valid hunting license would not be allowed to participate in a hunt in any way other than as an observer.
observer:if a person dont have hunting licence can he or she walk beside me(license holder) while i look for game to hunt?can he help me to skin an animal after i kill it?
Old 09-30-2016, 10:05 AM

You don't own your PAL.
It's not a card.

Learning how to ask a question will aid you in getting the answer you are after.

Im going to cypher through your question and hopefully you can reply if I've deduced your intent correctly.

You: "I've got a buddy who wants to come hunting with me, ( passed hunters Ed, and has his win and own license)but has yet not received his PAL, although he's passed the firearms course and sent off his application. I was wondering if anyone could advise me to the proper and legal way I can accompany him afield(I have my PAL). I would be willing to let him use my 303, and or 22 while he is under my supervision(within arms reach) and I wouldn't be shouldering my rifle while he was actively hunting."

Is this the question you want to ask OP?

My reply would be you are legal to go. Just make sure you maintain direct and immediate supervision while he's in control of your firearms.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-30-2016, 10:12 AM

Thank you very much for your responses, this cleared things up for my friend and i. Appreciate all of the answers.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:47 AM

Can a guy go hunting for rabbits with you and does not have pal and shoot rabbits with your 22 if you have a pal only . You both are carring 22 to shoot rabbits. and he is at arm length from you at all times .
Old 10-16-2021, 10:34 AM

Thaks guys found a Gov. answer on line .
Old 10-16-2021, 11:36 AM

Default Go hunting!

I would go enjoy yourself and not worry about stupid laws!
Old 10-16-2021, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
To enforce this is near impossible.
I'm sure non PAL holders on hunting trips with their hunting PALs are off on another cutline etc.
Anyone ever had their licenses checked and been asked for PAL info ?
I know, the idea is to know the rules and follow them.

TBark

Fish cops cannot ask for PAL.
Thats federal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2021, 06:43 PM

But I personally called and asked. At arms length no further good to go.

Old 10-16-2021, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
Thats federal.

That...
Old 10-17-2021, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Thats federal.

I don't believe this is true any longer. It's not that they couldn't ask you for a PAL, but that they wouldn't ask you for a PAL. According to some, they were in fact asked for PALs by Alberta Fish & Wildlife Officers during last hunting season.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=387058
Old 10-17-2021, 09:56 AM

They can ask but you dont have to show them. Its not their business. I offered to show a CO and he said not my bag of worms.

Old 10-17-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Thats federal.

They can ask ............ in fact they can ask anything they want

But they won't ...........

I'd be curious to see if this EVER happens
Old 10-18-2021, 10:56 AM

This happens all the time. Not sure of the legalities of it. I'm guessing it is legal to have someone help you clean the harvest, if it wasn't I feel like lots of people would really struggle getting a moose out...
Old 10-18-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinohunter View Post
observer:if a person dont have hunting licence can he or she walk beside me(license holder) while i look for game to hunt?can he help me to skin an animal after i kill it?

This happens all the time. Not sure of the legalities of it. I'm guessing it is legal to have someone help you clean the harvest, if it wasn't I feel like lots of people would really struggle getting a moose out...

Tags
deer, friend, hunting, pal