Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-17-2014, 06:16 PM

Question Recommendations for a great 4-season tent

I just went out for a backcountry trip last weekend (intended on camping but got fogged out at a summit and had to turn around) and realized that the 13 lb Canadian Tire tent that I have from my parents is a hog.

My wife and I both do a lot of hiking and xc-skiing, and I want to get into a lot more backpacking, so we're in the market for a new lightweight tent. As the shoulder season in the rockies can be near to winter conditions, and we may want to use it for a ski-trip as well, I'm leaning towards a 4-season.

Originally I was looking at the Integral Designs MK2 (or 3) after reading some good things on a sheep hunting blog, though they are no longer made in Canada and I'm not at all certain about the pros/cons of single wall vs. double wall. After a little more digging I'm leaning towards a Hilleberg tent, either a Nallo or a Nammatj.

Wondering if the avid backpackers and sheephunters out there can share any experience with their tents, things to look for, etc?
Old 06-17-2014, 06:20 PM

Hilliberg nallo gt3 is what I run and love it!! Amazing tent for two ppl and your carrying about 4 lbs each.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:43 PM

Seek Outside's Back country shelter with a titanium wood stove would work well. In the summer leave the stove at home, in fall and winter it's definitely an asset. The shelter is under 4 lbs and I think the stove and chimney is just under 3 lbs. I packed them on a snowshoe trip last January and lived like a king.
The stove and chimney pack down small enough to fit in the bottom of your back pack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (53.2 KB, 173 views)
Old 06-18-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad mountain mike View Post
Seek Outside's Back country shelter with a titanium wood stove would work well. In the summer leave the stove at home, in fall and winter it's definitely an asset. The shelter is under 4 lbs and I think the stove and chimney is just under 3 lbs. I packed them on a snowshoe trip last January and lived like a king.
The stove and chimney pack down small enough to fit in the bottom of your back pack.
Do you use a ground sheet? How do you keep the floor area dry with a stove on in the winter, or during a hard rain? Since thus is your set up, I'm sure you have something in place. Love the simple/minimalist idea!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 06-18-2014, 09:26 PM

In the winter I put a few spruce bows down to insulate the ground from the wood stove heat. I carry a piece of tyvek to put down under my sleep pad but on top of the bows. Keeping the ground frozen under you helps keep you and your gear dry.
In the summer I still use the tyvek and paying attention to where you put the shelter as far as drainage goes will keep you dry during heavy rain storms.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechm8 View Post
I just went out for a backcountry trip last weekend (intended on camping but got fogged out at a summit and had to turn around) and realized that the 13 lb Canadian Tire tent that I have from my parents is a hog.

My wife and I both do a lot of hiking and xc-skiing, and I want to get into a lot more backpacking, so we're in the market for a new lightweight tent. As the shoulder season in the rockies can be near to winter conditions, and we may want to use it for a ski-trip as well, I'm leaning towards a 4-season.

Originally I was looking at the Integral Designs MK2 (or 3) after reading some good things on a sheep hunting blog, though they are no longer made in Canada and I'm not at all certain about the pros/cons of single wall vs. double wall. After a little more digging I'm leaning towards a Hilleberg tent, either a Nallo or a Nammatj.

Wondering if the avid backpackers and sheephunters out there can share any experience with their tents, things to look for, etc?
If you are on some what of a budget I would recommend something like a Tarn 3 and a Silitarp 2. That combo would give you a good 3 1/2 season tent setup for 8 lbs or so. Ditch the tarp and it's about 7 lbs.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:54 AM

Default Hilliburg

My recommendation would be one of Hilliburgs tents. I have a Nallo GT and love it they are not cheap, but if your looking for a quality tent you can't beat there line up, if taken care of it will last a life time.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
If you are on some what of a budget I would recommend something like a Tarn 3 and a Silitarp 2. That combo would give you a good 3 1/2 season tent setup for 8 lbs or so. Ditch the tarp and it's about 7 lbs.
I do like to take the time to find the best deal usually, but also don't mind spending the extra money if it means only spending it once. We're lucky though, this one's covered by a work recreation fund so we're more concerned with quality, weight, durability.

Also would like to make sure it's got things we may need down the road (e.g. I don't sheep or elk hunt in the mountains yet, but would like to some time in the future).
Old 06-19-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lr1000 View Post
Hilliberg nallo gt3 is what I run and love it!! Amazing tent for two ppl and your carrying about 4 lbs each.
LR, how did you decide on the Nallo 3 GT? I just watched the set-up videos for both the Nallo 3 GT and the Nammatj 3 GT, and the non-vestibules, and have pretty much decided that the vestibule is worth the extra $$ and weight. The price is only $35 more for the Nammatj, which is roomier and uses better materials, but also 2 lbs heavier. The weights according to the website are:

Nallo 3 GT: 6 lbs 13 oz (3.1 kg)
Nammatj 3 GT: 8 lbs 13 oz (4.0 kg)

They look pretty similar in all other aspects Any other things to think about? I haven't hunted elk or sheep in the mountains ever but it's something I would like to do in the future.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:57 PM

Don't mess with 3.5 season tents. Go 4. Hilleberg gets my vote everytime.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 06-19-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechm8 View Post
LR, how did you decide on the Nallo 3 GT? I just watched the set-up videos for both the Nallo 3 GT and the Nammatj 3 GT, and the non-vestibules, and have pretty much decided that the vestibule is worth the extra $$ and weight. The price is only $35 more for the Nammatj, which is roomier and uses better materials, but also 2 lbs heavier. The weights according to the website are:

Nallo 3 GT: 6 lbs 13 oz (3.1 kg)
Nammatj 3 GT: 8 lbs 13 oz (4.0 kg)

They look pretty similar in all other aspects Any other things to think about? I haven't hunted elk or sheep in the mountains ever but it's something I would like to do in the future.

The 2lbs is what I based my decision on. Every oz helps and the nallo is more then strong enough for what I use it for in late oct. I also think the gt model is worth the extra weight when there's 2 guys splitting the load. If your most by urself there's lots of room in the tent for u and your gear. I'm trying out the new kuiu tent for my solo hunts this year.

Tags
backpacking, camping, shelter, tent, tents