Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2017, 04:36 PM
Banned

Default Friendly reminder - backup your computers...

These encryption viruses are getting insane.

Back up your computers by hook or by crook because it's likely the only way you're going to recover. Had a company call me this morning, their server got hit directly by an employee logged on remotely - which means everything useful on the server - including the attached current backup drive is encrypted. It's going to be a long night recovering from the old backup from 2 weeks previous.

Windows has a backup utility, and there is a plethora of freebies online. Copy and paste if you have to. Just don't leave the hard drive plugged in at all times.

If you get an encryption virus, and it does it's deed - you may as well grab a beer and cry about it. Good verified backups are your only guaranteed way out.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:29 PM

Last month I wanted to backup my hard drive which has about 7 years worth of financials, thousands of pictures... Organized all my folders and was going to transfer to external hard drive the next day. Guess I over worked the hard drive that night. It stopped working in the morning and lost all my data.

In the event I get audited it would take me 10 minutes to find the data and send to revenue canada. Now it would take me a few days going through boxes. Let's hope that never happens. Lesson learned the hard way.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post

Back up your computers by hook or by crook because it's likely the only way you're going to recover. Had a company call me this morning, their server got hit directly by an employee logged on remotely - which means everything useful on the server - including the attached current backup drive is encrypted. It's going to be a long night recovering from the old backup from 2 weeks previous.

Windows has a backup utility, and there is a plethora of freebies online. Copy and paste if you have to. Just don't leave the hard drive plugged in at all times.

If you get an encryption virus, and it does it's deed - you may as well grab a beer and cry about it. Good verified backups are your only guaranteed way out.

So, for us computer idiots I am not following you about the freebies. I thought the only way to back up the pics and music was on an external drive. You just confused an old dog - help !!

Dodger.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post

I see these virus' a lot at work also. Check and see if the shadow recovery is enabled. Every server I have ever setup has this enabled. Luckily I have yet to see a crypto virus that can damage that.

Download (if you haven't tried already) shadow explorer from www.shadowexplorer.com. It can save you hours and hours.

I can't count how many times this program has saved us for our customers who have gotten crypto'd.

After the server has been redone, I would suggest running cryptoprevent (https://www.fooli****.com/cryptoprev...re-prevention/), to help curb this in the future. Best of luck to you!!

Last edited by Shekka; 01-17-2017 at 06:24 PM.