Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2016, 09:46 AM
Banned

Default The Smell of Decaying Canola in the Fields

Very bad year for farmers out east of Edmonton near Vegreville and such. Maybe all the way to Saskatchewan and beyond. Muddy fields and decaying canola.
How can they recover?
Old 10-29-2016, 09:50 AM

I am sure that the tax payers will end up coming to the table to help them out.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:06 AM

"Seems like a good time to increase their taxes" Rachael Notley & Justin Trudeau (by action)

Its hard to not notice the crops still laying in swaths from Okotoks to Olds and beyond
Old 10-29-2016, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale7637 View Post
I am sure that the tax payers will end up coming to the table to help them out.
X2 Also, I was told that they can still harvest in the spring (again,if conditions allow). Some will be lost to animals, and the grade will be lower, but at least it's something. It really is a shame about the wet fall for harvesting. I know some farmers who couldn't get their crops off and it really hurts. Not to mention food shortages and or higher prices for everyone else.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:52 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post
Very bad year for farmers out east of Edmonton near Vegreville and such. Maybe all the way to Saskatchewan and beyond. Muddy fields and decaying canola.
How can they recover?

Crop insurance.

Kinda like unemployment insurance, only with higher premiums.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-29-2016, 01:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Crop insurance.

Kinda like unemployment insurance, only with higher premiums.
The other day I was told by a farmer that his crop insurance would not cover his swathed canola. I can't remember the exact reason for it but it may have something to do with it being recoverable but only at a "Sample" grade. Maybe a farmer can elaborate on that.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:11 PM

Crop Insurance, like any other insurance, is pretty complex. I'd have to write a book here explaining it all and I know that most of you wouldn't bother reading it anyway. To those that are interested, go to the AFSC website for detailed explanations.

In a nut shell there are several components and coverage levels to the insurance that a producer can pay into or opt out of. One component is production insurance. In simple terms, production insurance basically guarantees that the insured will produce a certain volume of grain. Production values are specific to the insured based on his/her average production over a certain number of years.

Example: Production insurance states that your particular operation is insured for 30 bushels of canola per acre, you insure 1000 acres which equals 30,000 bushel of canola. You only harvested 650 acres and your average yield was 50 bushels/ac. 650x50=32,500 bushels. You have produced more than your production insurance guarantees and you will not trigger a payment even though you still have 350 acres left rotting in the field.

Clear as mud?
Old 10-29-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
The other day I was told by a farmer that his crop insurance would not cover his swathed canola. I can't remember the exact reason for it but it may have something to do with it being recoverable but only at a "Sample" grade. Maybe a farmer can elaborate on that.
We will have to harvest any crop left out either now or in the spring. Crop insurance will usually only cover any shortfall in yield over the whole farm compared to our average yield. Canola harvested in spring usually has poor quality or no oil left in the seed so a $10-11/bu product will be worth probably way less than $5/bu. Cereals left out will grade feed and might be light weight so will not be worth as much as milling quality or even good quality feed. With outfits such as Western Feedlots shutting their doors our feed grain market is shrinking by the day thus dropping price of feed and leaving us less places to sell our product. Think of this as getting notice from your boss that you are going to do the same work but only get half a pay check to pay your bills with.

Someone else might be able to explain this better as I'm trying to simplify it for the non farm people on here. This harvest season has been a major headache for most of us so do not be surprised if you run into some cranky farmers in your travels. Use respect and do not travel in fields with crop out unless the farmer says it's ok. If we do get harvesting in November please be aware of us on the roads and please get out of our way if you are gawking for game off the road. Turn your lights on at night so no one gets hurt. Thank you
Old 10-29-2016, 05:37 PM
Banned

Thanks for the explanations, I have a better understanding of the issue now.

I wonder how many numpty's are going to cross fields with crops still in them this winter.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Thanks for the explanations, I have a better understanding of the issue now.

I wonder how many numpty's are going to cross fields with crops still in them this winter.

X2, Thanks.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:05 PM
Banned

Been a bad year for rain, oilfield has been hit by it too, everything is a mud puddle. be glad when it freezes up, should see some action.