Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2016, 10:19 AM
Banned

Default Trudeau advisory council recommends Canada increases population to 100 million by 2100

35 million not enough? How about 100 million people in Canada? Super brainy people working for our super brainy prime minister think 100 million people should be about right.

http://ipolitics.ca/2016/10/27/a-can...e-they-insane/

There are some ideas so daft that it takes a very smart person to think of them. Or, in the case of a new proposal to triple Canada’s population to 100 million by the end of the century, it takes an entire committee of smart people.

The authors of this particular idea are the fourteen members of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s Advisory Council on Economic Growth, who issued their first report last week. To most Canadians, the idea is so preposterous as not to bear analyzing. Crumple it up and start again. But, as these are supposed to be serious thinkers — selected, according to a government press release, “because they are recognized, forward-thinking individuals in their respective fields” — it’s worth taking their proposal at face value.

Dominic Barton, the global managing partner of management consulting giant McKinsey & Co and the committee’s chief advocate of “a Canada of 100 million,” worries that without significant population growth, Canada’s international “relevance” will suffer. This is an odd thing to say, and an even odder thing to care about. How many Canadians, waking in the dark this morning, bundling their children into winter jackets and out the door to school, give two pucks for Canada’s “relevance”?

Luckily I will be dead in 84 years.

Enjoy the decline. Suckers.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:45 AM

Republic of Western Canada

Autonomous region of Western Canada

Take yer pick, and sign up to build a better fence on the eastern edge of Saskatchewan. Don't even want to think about the destruction this liberal craptastic nonsense is going cause
Old 10-28-2016, 11:20 AM

Effects on global warming?
Old 10-28-2016, 11:23 AM
Banned

WHAT A MORON!

But what can you expect from a White Water Rafting Guide? That may just of cost him the next election! Fingers Crossed!
Old 10-28-2016, 11:29 AM

All to Kaybek
Old 10-28-2016, 11:39 AM
Banned

Well I'll be gone by then so I won't lose sleep over this lol
Old 10-28-2016, 11:40 AM

When various jurisdictions in the country are pushing a reduced greenhouse gas agenda, it's irresponsible to call for population growth that high. Besides people just living, there's no way that many people would sustain themselves solely through a service economy. This increase would necessitate some growth in primary industries. So much for saving mother Earth.... Also, compare to the 'Big Australia' idea. Pretty sure it failed or was abandoned.

Edit: on the other hand, look at how Mexico demographic boom since the 1970s has led to increased clout.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:01 PM

Personally, I'm of two minds. If we want to stop being a lapdog of other powers economically ad politically, take care of our own defense, be taken seriously by the US, etc. etc. we need to get a lot bigger. And we could. We've got the space. On the other hand I see no reason to eat up more of our wilderness, rub shoulders with more people, etc.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:09 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Personally, I'm of two minds. If we want to stop being a lapdog of other powers economically ad politically, take care of our own defense, be taken seriously by the US, etc. etc. we need to get a lot bigger. And we could. We've got the space. On the other hand I see no reason to eat up more of our wilderness, rub shoulders with more people, etc.
Really? Who da thunk it?

I'm with you Okie. Things are crowded enough now.

If half the existing population is dumber than the average dummy, do we really need a lot more of them just to get a handful of above average dummies? Raise the bar.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-28-2016, 06:06 PM

How about providing tax relief and child care services for its own citizens. Of course it's there for lower earners but us guys that work hard and make a decent living see no breaks. My wife stays home to raise my kids so I should atleast get a small tax break instead of paying 40% in taxes. I'd have more kids if I had a better break and knew I'd be able to help them with their future. But currently it's not responsible of me to have more children than I can provide for.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:39 PM

Default They are idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I prefer your second choice.

Anyway, I've been saying, and telling politicians when I get the chance, for 30 years, that the stupidest course we can possibly take is to repeat the mistake of much of the rest of the world and become much more highly populated. It is really our biggest advantage in terms of comparative quality of life in this country to have a relatively "low" population. Technological advances make it pretty obvious that we do not benefit anyone from having universally poor huddled masses of urbanites.

I won't be around to see my children have to cope with even more serious over competition for resources, locally or globally, due to the race's stupidity on this item, which is already quite evident in the most over-populated parts of the planet (?). But it is just so obvious that almost any major global environmental or political issue is fundamentally related, already to "too many people", and that there is an enormous reluctance amongst most to face up to this truth (?).

On a purely political level, this is so typical of the Liberano approach to ensuring we have their benevolent nanny state corruption in perpetuity - what's good for them is obviously best for all us ignorant peons (????). We all need to move into state-owned low income multi-unit urban housing and stop resisting - the Borg have spoken.

If the Borg are successful on this aspect of their agenda, I feel so sorry for my kids, and, I guess, so lucky to have lived before the Borg ascendancy.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:17 PM

The commitee is just passing on the recommendation of the UN. Open up all the borders, let the third worlders in and quench the nationalistic attitudes. Then Brussels can reign over all. What you see in Europe now will be here soon.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
The commitee is just passing on the recommendation of the UN. Open up all the borders, let the third worlders in and quench the nationalistic attitudes. Then Brussels can reign over all. What you see in Europe now will be here soon.
Bingo.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
How about providing tax relief and child care services for its own citizens. Of course it's there for lower earners but us guys that work hard and make a decent living see no breaks. My wife stays home to raise my kids so I should atleast get a small tax break instead of paying 40% in taxes. I'd have more kids if I had a better break and knew I'd be able to help them with their future. But currently it's not responsible of me to have more children than I can provide for.
How about a tax break for people that don't have any kids?
Old 10-28-2016, 08:11 PM

Tripling the population (which would primarily occur in the dense urban zones ) would be fantastic for rush hour traffic!!

I'd be all for population of 50-60 million with the caveat that it's from us breeding ourselves up a pile 'O natural born Canucks rather than using mass immigration from the bottom of the third world bucket.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Tripling the population (which would primarily occur in the dense urban zones ) would be fantastic for rush hour traffic!!

I'd be all for population of 50-60 million with the caveat that it's from us breeding ourselves up a pile 'O natural born Canucks rather than using mass immigration from the bottom of the third world bucket.
2 million people is too many for a small country the size of Canada.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
2 million people is too many for a small country the size of Canada.
So, what's the point of all the sacrifices we're making in the name of Climate Change ?

Grizz
Old 10-28-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Hey man might be one of my kids pushing your wheel chair to bingo when your an old timer. Wouldn't you prefer someone who speaks English? After all someone's going have to look after all the "ME generation" when you get old! Hahaha
Old 10-28-2016, 08:58 PM

So they want us to have a bigger population so we're taken more seriously? I'm kind of curious what Canada's population was at the end of WWII when we had the worlds 3rd largest Navy (or so I've heard) and a population of sturdy go-getters who accomplished so much in spite of their numbers.

I don't think 100 million Millennials and their offspring would be quit the same thing.........
Old 10-28-2016, 10:45 PM

Can't claim to be concerned about the planet or carbon and continue to add yet more people living off of failing ecosystems.

At 3.5 people per sq/km Canada is sustainable, sinks more carbon than it emits, and has more valuable resources per capita than almost any other country and some of the worlds largest wilderness areas.

At 10 people per sq/km we will be adding more carbon, more pollution and we will no longer have room for those Canadian cultures whose identity needs open spaces, and more not less wilderness.

As for being able to afford to become an independent country Canada already has everything it needs for that but instead chooses to hand over military control, even border services. We do not need more Canadians to change that.

Then again being integrated with the USA seems to be very much a Canadian thing, those that want more Independence may have to leave Confederation to get it.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:27 PM

Let's just **** up our whole country.

Any environmentalist who does not start the conversation with human population control is a hack.

Any economist who sees growth as the only means to support the economy instead of sustainability is a fool.

Perhaps Yukon will become Redoubt North?

Here is an email link I was sent from a friend in Belgium.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ar-prayer.html
Old 10-30-2016, 05:50 AM
Banned

Second largest country, lowest population. Kind of sounds like the best place on Earth. I`m glad I'm pushing 60, I don`t want to be alive when we get millions of refugees moving in and expecting to be taken care of. I feel sorry for my kids. Somebody has to pay the bill. OH WAIT Turdo will with your tax dollars.Our kids tax dollars. Who the hell elected him? Who elected the NDP in Alberta. People are stupid .That`s why I don`t like most people.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Republic of Western Canada

Autonomous region of Western Canada

Take yer pick, and sign up to build a better fence on the eastern edge of Saskatchewan. Don't even want to think about the destruction this liberal craptastic nonsense is going cause

Where do I sign up? If there was a group, I'm in for sure. Sick of the bs going on. They can be poor (do to no oil money from us) and over populated in the east. The whole reason I love living in Canada, is because it's low key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2016, 06:59 AM

Smile Give this a bit more thought.

What got us to this cycle of depopulation were the immigration policies of the last 2 centuries, while the Americans had an open immigration policy so that they could move from a 3 rd world status to the colossus that it has become. While this was going on our leaders were only allowing in Church of England of the best type. This may have worked if they hadn't killed of a whole generation in France and Belgium. Did you know that the USA and Canada had about the same amount of casualties in WW1 and our population was only 8 million people.

How many American would come here after this election if we made it easier?

Would we get 5 or 10 million people? This could help a lot, they speak English, are educated and are entrepreneurs.

Don't just close your mind to new ideas, Canada has always needed immigrants but we are confusing immigration with helping refugees..
Old 10-30-2016, 07:08 AM
Banned

It's all about the taxes boys and girls.

More people to tax, means more in the government coffers.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:

Makes sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
Second largest country, lowest population. Kind of sounds like the best place on Earth. I`m glad I'm pushing 60, I don`t want to be alive when we get millions of refugees moving in and expecting to be taken care of. I feel sorry for my kids. Somebody has to pay the bill. OH WAIT Turdo will with your tax dollars.Our kids tax dollars. Who the hell elected him? Who elected the NDP in Alberta. People are stupid .That`s why I don`t like most people.

good portion of our country is essentially uninhabitable , something the majority forget. who wants to live in China or India ?

Grizz
Old 10-30-2016, 08:53 AM

Smile Uninhabitable?

The reason that Scots and Ukrainians have done so well I think, is that the climate was similar to their original homes.

During the 1930's every 1/4 section on the prairies had a family, not now.

We have lots of room, most of the world's fresh water, and a shrinking population.

I can remember when Canada didn't want: the Irish, Catholics, Sikhs, Jews, DPs, Italians, Hungarians, and most recently Indians and Arabs.

There was a time the CPR and the government went around the world promoting Canada as a place to live. They brought the Mennonites, Hutterites and Doukobours. We need more people, the question is what should we do about it.

I think the Americans would come, this would be the third time that I know of; around 1900 they came for the good cheap land (my neighbours came from Texas) the second during the Viet Nam war, lots are still here, and this could be the third.

What do you think?
Old 10-30-2016, 09:00 AM

I think we should practice sustainability.

Our population has not shrunk, it has grown.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
I think we should practice sustainability.

Our population has not shrunk, it has grown.
The Canadian birth rate is well below replacement.

Our population increases are directly linked to immigration. About 40% of Canadians were not born in Canada or have at least one parent not born in Canada. Few other countries have been so welcoming and I suspect if other countries had they would have managed to use it to get global thanks in the form of cash transfers.

Might be something we should be asking for when European and other Nations demand we help more refugees if only to remind the world that Canadians, at least those that integrate and/or after a couple generations are sustainable and yet still Welcoming.