Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-24-2014, 09:36 PM

Default School Project - Make a traditional bow

My twelve year old son is deciding on a school project and thinking of making a traditional bow. I was wondering whether those with any experience in this regard could let me know how realistic this would be?

I would help my son but I do not have much wood working experience. It would likely be something we could work on for a couple of hours each weekend.

Thank you for any advice given.

Last edited by nelsonob1; 11-24-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:46 PM

It is not that hard , where are you located? just saw Nelson BC.
Is he happy to make a board bow? Those are easy.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:29 PM

Like petew said, it isn't hard, especially a school project one. The second-hardest part is hitting a decent draw weight, but that shouldn't be much of an issue if he's not planning to hunt with it. The hardest part is like Lay's Chips: bet you can't make just one!

I'd suggest starting here:

http://poorfolkbows.com/oak.htm

Read through the entire Red Oak Board Bow Buildalong, then get to Home Depot, shell out the $10 for a board and get to work! Or better yet, get two boards and work side-by-side. There's lots more information there for after his project is done and he has the bug to do more.

The only hard to get material is the string (if you want "real" bowstring rather than just a random rope). You can find it in bulk online, but for one or two bows' worth shoot me a PM.

School-relevant information on materials and methods of various cultures can also be found in the Traditional Bowyer's Bibles, available (mostly) on Google Books, and in most libraries. These books also have information on making bows, but the link above is so fool-resistant that even I can follow it, plus it's specifically geared towards minimal investment.

I hope that helps!
Old 11-26-2014, 12:50 PM

PM me a phone# and I can help out with a simple plan for a Pyramid style bow made from maple trim. Other woods will work too.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:50 PM

Thank you both. We will watch the videos tonight and see what we can figure out.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:47 AM

pyramid bow
Thanks Leroy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pyramid+Bow.jpg (21.0 KB, 27 views)
Old 11-27-2014, 08:22 AM

As a youngster we found the best and easiest bows to make were Survival class bows...

We used good ole Populus or as known green Poplar/Aspen ...

The live poplar tree was easy to work with...stores plenty of enegy until dried...

We would adjust tiller by shaving top or bottom limb ...used binder twine for strings...strong and could be twisted for poundage...

Arrow were Choke cherry, wild rose shoots or any straight willows and my favorite red Osier Dogwood ...also known as moose candy....the red bark was shaved off ...which can be used like asprin or tobbaco known as kinnickkinnick...

Cut 20 and have a half dozen good ones...many will warp split etc...
can be hand straightened or we would drill an hole in a piece of splui wood the same general size of the arrow so the arrow can be inserted in the hole and we would straighten them that way...

Heads were made from empty rifle shell casings like the 30-30 for small game...flattened nails for broadheads...nails taped to railway track and run over by train made perfect broadheads [not advised ]

feathers were any feather one could find...

I have taken a bull moose down with such a survival bow...

Problem was/is after a week or so the poplar would dry making the bow less effective...

For a perfect bow the correct wood dried for year carved for hours takes a lot of time and many break on first draw...not for the short tempered or those with no patience....lol

The survival bow quick and very effective...some we made would shoot out well over 100 yards...

They were the demise of many a rabbit...

Neil
Old 11-27-2014, 10:53 PM

Strongly recommend the Traditional Bowyers Bible – 4 volume set available on Chapters and Amazon online. Public libraries usually have at least the first volume.

A very comprehensive reference for almost any sort of traditional bow (and arrow) you may want to build.

Arguably the easiest are perhaps an Osage Orange flat bow or perhaps a yew long bow; simple to make and tune (Tillering is easy on these styles). No need to make any bends and no need to put any backing on them – just a simple yet highly effective bow. Variations of these were used successfully by first nations peoples for tens of thousands of years.

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/home/s...owyers%20bible

I’m building a set with my son this winter and will make a set of arrows (style undecided as of yet) tipped with obsidian broad head.

Building and using a bow such as these are a good way of curing ones-self of the influence of the archery marketing industry; you realize you really don't need all those gadgets to shoot well.