Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-20-2014, 05:46 PM

Default Safe to shoot a long lost but recovered arrow?

I have a 4X6 ft layered cardboard backstop outside. Tonight, while doing a little practice, i happened to see an arrow sticking out of the side of the backstop...basically the top few layers slid over 6 inches and exposed an arrow i 'lost' at least 3 years ago (time-frame known by fletching color). Thing is i haven't used that backstop in about a month as ive been shooting 3d. So its probably been exposed for at least that long. Carbon express maxima 3d select. The arrow passed the flex test and has no visible defects.

So what do you think, safe to shoot?
Old 11-20-2014, 08:38 PM

Default Arrow

It's probably safe but I don't think I would, better safe than sorry.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:02 AM

As long as it has passed the flex test and visible inspection I see no need to worry...it it was exposed to the sun and elements for three years one might ponder the integrity of the arrow...

I have even refletched personal CX arrows found in field behind outdoor range after a year and arrow is still shooting...

Neil
Old 11-21-2014, 09:28 AM

If in doubt, do not shoot, It is not worth the 12-18$ to go through what I did last year. I had a new arrow that shot a fair amount of targets, Maybe hit the dirt infront or behind a long shot target(And there is multiple reasons why it cracked) but the new high speed bows put a lot of pressure and flex on an arrow and obviously any little defect will show up . A 28" arrow broke at the 20" point and 8" went through my hand at release.

I had new arrows and a new bow, very unexpected. I will not shoot an arrow through my bow with any inkling of a doubt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hand exit.jpg (42.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg hand in.jpg (52.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Hand Photo 3.jpg (41.6 KB, 52 views)
Old 11-21-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritz View Post
If in doubt, do not shoot, It is not worth the 12-18$ to go through what I did last year. I had a new arrow that shot a fair amount of targets, Maybe hit the dirt infront or behind a long shot target(And there is multiple reasons why it cracked) but the new high speed bows put a lot of pressure and flex on an arrow and obviously any little defect will show up . A 28" arrow broke at the 20" point and 8" went through my hand at release.

I had new arrows and a new bow, very unexpected. I will not shoot an arrow through my bow with any inkling of a doubt.
That say's it all!!!

Good points
Neil