Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-04-2014, 10:33 PM

Default Whitetail Rut Gear/Tactics

With the whitetail rut just around the corner, i just wanted to see everyones plans on how you plan on arrowing a WT buck and what you will use/try doing so.

Myself, i will be using my rattling antlers from a buck I took a few years ago, i bought a the primos buck roar last year which seemed to work alright. And my favourite call, the primos can. In my mind this is a must have in the stand during the peak of the rut. Some may not agree but it has worked great for my hunting partners and I. What do you guys use?

The way I usually call WT bucks in is I will use the can a few times wait 1 to 2 mins start grunting then bang the antlers around. I'll grunt at the same time as i rattle the horns. I used to not do this until I seen two nice bucks fighting last year and aggressively grunting at the same time. I'll rattle for roughly 4-7 mins and then let off slowly. Use the can and grunt a few times after that then stay quiet for give or take a half hour. I know this is basic WT calling but it works in my area. How do you guys get the big boys into bow range??

Would love to hear some responses. Maybe it will help the next 8 days go by quicker!!

Shoot Straight!

Donnie

Last edited by arrow_baron; 11-04-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:52 PM

I just walk quietly, watch for deer signs. When I find some tracks I follow them. Pretty well just keep on doing that until I find one worth taking. Hell I'm actualy pretty successful on most days too. Personally I cannot stand the thought of sitting in a tree stand. I would rather
hunt like in the old old days. Just my opinion, not trying to insult tree stand users.

Oh and welcome to the forums!
Old 11-05-2014, 09:36 AM

Exact calls of the rut I use...I agree the "Can" is a must...just that alone works...

Neil
Old 11-05-2014, 09:40 AM

I start with short bleats (can) always, i then hit the horns for no more than 30-45 seconds and i also use the grunt tube when rattling.......after lots of trial and error this routine usually is what works for me so i stick to it.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:35 AM

I rarely rattle for more than 45 seconds. I can't imagine 7 minutes. You must be imitating a world war amongst the deer herd lol!! I actually just saw a video of a fella grunting and rattling. I might have to try it out.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
I rarely rattle for more than 45 seconds. I can't imagine 7 minutes. You must be imitating a world war amongst the deer herd lol!! I actually just saw a video of a fella grunting and rattling. I might have to try it out.
Lol I guess when you put it that way it would sound like a world war. I've always been aggressive when I call WT, could be my downfall and the reason I've never tagged a big buck. I'm still a little green when it comes to whitetails. I should have said in my first post that I rattle for half a minute wait 30 seconds start again and do this until I feel I should stop. It's worked for me in the past. It's how I was taught but maybe I'll try changing it up this year and try something new.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow_baron View Post
Lol I guess when you put it that way it would sound like a world war. I've always been aggressive when I call WT, could be my downfall and the reason I've never tagged a big buck. I'm still a little green when it comes to whitetails. I should have said in my first post that I rattle for half a minute wait 30 seconds start again and do this until I feel I should stop. It's worked for me in the past. It's how I was taught but maybe I'll try changing it up this year and try something new.

I have only shot 4 bucks but have called in a few and I just do a few grunts and a 30 second rattle and wait 20mins before rattling again. If I hear something I'll do a few soft grunts.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Exact calls of the rut I use...I agree the "Can" is a must...just that alone works...

Neil
100% dissagree. The most useless call I've ever owned and I tried it many times in different situation, time of year/day, conditions, etc. The threw it last year and never looked back. Distress and bucks calls for me.

For getting bucks into range, I use rattling. As for scents - anything store bought is 50/50, but will likely bring them in close for a sniff.

The best scent you can't buy.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
100% dissagree. The most useless call I've ever owned and I tried it many times in different situation, time of year/day, conditions, etc. The threw it last year and never looked back. Distress and bucks calls for me.

For getting bucks into range, I use rattling. As for scents - anything store bought is 50/50, but will likely bring them in close for a sniff.

The best scent you can't buy.
Used in the right situation at the right time its dynamite...had 6 Mule bucks run right to my truck as I played with it the first time...
Many WT bucks took dirt naps due to it

Just like rattling...one can do it 12 times before it works also...but iots that once that pays...

Neil
Old 11-05-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
I just do a few grunts and a 30 second rattle and wait 20mins before rattling again. If I hear something I'll do a few soft grunts.
x2 i do short burst with lots of down time.

Start quietly in case a buck is close then progressively louder to reach out further.

I never want them to pinpoint my location before they expose themselves. Want them to come in have to "look" for the fight
Old 11-05-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
x2 i do short burst with lots of down time.

Start quietly in case a buck is close then progressively louder to reach out further.

I never want them to pinpoint my location before they expose themselves. Want them to come in have to "look" for the fight

Last part of your post were my thoughts exactly.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:30 PM

Get downwind of a huge azz scrape and grunt a little. Works only for big ones!
Old 11-07-2014, 07:14 AM

Definitely get down wind of a rutting spot and grunt a few times every 15 mins or so using a true talker use some code red doe urine hung on trees if there's bucks around they'll come

Last edited by happyhunters; 11-07-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:31 AM

All this WT talked got me a little fired up so I told work I wasn't available to work this weekend. On the bus back home as I write this. Grabbing the gear once i'm home and heading out to my uncles farm around edson.

Anyone seeing any whitetail rut activity yet? I'm mainly going out to the farm to do a little pre scout for my 9 day trip next week. Might help my brother try and get his elk.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow_baron View Post
Anyone seeing any whitetail rut activity yet?
you bet....watched a buck chasing a doe 6 days ago

the time is now!
Old 11-07-2014, 02:21 PM

Had a mock scrape made from last year under my stand in strathcona. Didnt even have a chance to freshen it up this year. A buck came by and ripped the thing to shreds this week. Cannot wait to get out there!
Old 11-07-2014, 02:55 PM

Just watched a decent 4x4 chasing around a young doe in the Glenmore Reservoir.......he received the typical go badword yourself treatment, poor lil sucker LOL......he didn't even care about the usual traffic of people
Old 12-03-2014, 12:50 PM

Cool Ruttin it out

I shot both deer with a bow and rifle during rut...it really doesn't matter what sequence of calling and rattling you perform...just make sure you do it...