Originally Posted by rosh7674 View Post
No crown land?
Very very little to none....

LC
Old 11-05-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh7674 View Post
No crown land?
Very minimal basically only a couple Buck for Wildlife quarters...
Old 11-09-2014, 12:54 AM

Going out tomorrow before I am gone for a full two weeks (work) then scrounge up whatever days I have left when I get home. Looks like tag soup here boys
Old 11-09-2014, 04:24 AM
Banned

When I do I put a hand warmer heat pak in eack of my boots, feet stay toasty warm that way and less figiting in your tree stand that way I have found.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
When I do I put a hand warmer heat pak in eack of my boots, feet stay toasty warm that way and less figiting in your tree stand that way I have found.
Gonna try the thermacell rechargable liners this year in my boots ,for the price ,they better work . I also like to use those handwarmer packs in my handmuff , no need to wear heavy gloves then even on the coldest days .
Old 11-09-2014, 09:30 AM

Its not to bad in the blind today with the buddy heater. Lol
Old 11-09-2014, 10:00 AM

Default Bow hunting in november

I'm going out tonight to look for the elusive buck. It's going to be chilly but I've got my heater suit all ready to go, some booties to put over my feet with some handwarmers in there too. A pair of rabbit mitts I made and a muskrat hat (take that RCMP!). I detest sitting in the cold but I love deer hunting.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:57 AM

Gonna be a game time decision on hunting this afternoon, winds in Calgary are picking up pretty good and my tree of choice is pretty thin, unfortunately thats where the big boy likes to hang out the most! Looking forward to seeing some nice rut bucks on the ground boys......GOOD LUCK !
Old 11-09-2014, 11:17 AM

Bowhunting is the only method for this guy!
Old 11-09-2014, 11:45 AM

I'll be out tonight with my bow to, the deer are starting to move a bit more, can't wait for the rut to be in full swing
Old 11-09-2014, 12:45 PM

Sat yesterday morning with my daughter in the snow for 2 hours before we gave in. Its a tough hunt to be in a tree stand with snow blowing in your face. She passed up a small buck at 12 yds. November bow hunts put your drive to the test for sure.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:18 PM

Sat yesterday morning. Had 4 does come by at close range. They all had fawns so they get a pass. Fork horn WT dropped by for a visit. He gets a pass as well, but maybe not in the last minute of the last day.

Just before the end of legal light, a group of does and fawns moved in and bedded down . About 10 minutes after legal light they were joined by 2 nice bucks - definite shooters. About 15 minutes later, they all left. Five minutes after that, I left. The bucks were completely relaxed so hopefully they make a return visit during 'business hours'.

Anyway, the bucks had no interest in the does, but it won't be long though.
Looks like it's time to break out the warm clothing.

Nice to see all of the fawns. Lots of the does I've seen this year have had twins.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:26 AM

Huge thank you to everyone in this thread, especially those who recommended cabelas stand hunter gear... bought the bibs and trans Alaska pac boots, and stayed nice and warm in the blind tonight, no heater or handwarmers needed....and everyone else for staying positive. Motivated me to get out and enjoy the rest of the season.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:08 AM

Off to cabelas to buy a 223, then home to grab the bow and headed to the blind!
Old 11-11-2014, 03:44 PM

Got home from a couple days hunting in the Calgary bowzone . Wasn't overly cold , I've been out in worse . The hard part was sitting for 4 hours only to have a neighbours mutts come clear all the deer out of the creek bottom where we were sitting . Second time in 2 weeks by different bunches of dogs . My hope is that one of these days the local coyotes cut em off on their way home . Saw a good buck but too far and too dark .
Old 11-12-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Huge thank you to everyone in this thread, especially those who recommended cabelas stand hunter gear... bought the bibs and trans Alaska pac boots, and stayed nice and warm in the blind tonight, no heater or handwarmers needed....and everyone else for staying positive. Motivated me to get out and enjoy the rest of the season.
Just a reminder to shoot from all angles you will be shooting with new warm gear..Know many that have shot a foot off with heavy clothes...string/arm slap can be an issue with older bows... string stops are a must...heavy clothes can change shooting form enough to make differeance in accuracy

Neil
Old 11-12-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Got home from a couple days hunting in the Calgary bowzone . Wasn't overly cold , I've been out in worse . The hard part was sitting for 4 hours only to have a neighbours mutts come clear all the deer out of the creek bottom where we were sitting . Second time in 2 weeks by different bunches of dogs . My hope is that one of these days the local coyotes cut em off on their way home . Saw a good buck but too far and too dark .
I know how that would be dealt with here....

It's bow-only for big game. Nothing says you can't have a 223 for predator control (subject to local bylaws of course)
Old 11-12-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:

It's bow-only for big game. Nothing says you can't have a 223 for predator control (subject to local bylaws of course)
LOL .. My sentiments exactly , they'd have had an arrow shirt if they'd been closer .
Old 11-12-2014, 01:09 PM

I was out Archery hunting over the weekend. It got down to about -18C. There is lots of good advice in this thread about keeping warm and making sure you're warm enough to shoot when its crunch time. I didn't get any big game animals but I did peg a grouse to a tree that made a delicious lunch.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:53 PM

Brrr here -25C or worse windchill...was only -15C but high winds were brutal...time to abondon stand and set up a blind...wind proof, lawn chair and small propane red eye heater sounds wayyyy better...

Neil
Old 11-12-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:

I contacted F&W a few years back as I wanted to hunt yotes in the Calgary bow zone with my rifle. Was told that I had to wait until all bow, shotgun and muzzle loader seasons were over.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
I contacted F&W a few years back as I wanted to hunt yotes in the Calgary bow zone with my rifle. Was told that I had to wait until all bow, shotgun and muzzle loader seasons were over.
Taken a lot of coyotes with a shotgun!!!
Old 11-12-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
In a word.....nope.

Nothing about it in the regs. Keep calm and shoot coyotes.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:27 PM

I read the applicable sections in the regulations. They seemed a bit ambiguous so I called F&W. Talked to the officer about coyote hunting in wmu212 with a centerfire during the Archery Only season. His response referenced these 3 sections of regulations.

From pg47 Archery Only Seasons are those where only a bow and arrow may be used to hunt.

From pg62 A Resident may, except in WMUs 728 and 730, hunt (but not trap) coyote on lands to which he or she has the right of access to hunt, from the opening day of a big game season in a particular WMU to May 31, 2015, or until June 15 if the hunting is in a WMU that has a spring season for black bear ending on that date. In Camp Wainwright (WMUs 728 and 730) a Resident may hunt coyote from January 5, 2015 to February 28, 2015.

From pg32 Any person who is (a) the owner or occupant of privately owned land, or (b) authorized to keep livestock on public land, or (c) a resident authorized by a person described in (a) or a resident authorized in writing by a person described in (b) may, without a licence, hunt (but not trap) black bear or coyote on such lands, at all times of the year.

In a nutshell, he said that you could hunt year round on private lands for the purpose of control of livestock predation. Using a centerfire would be OK. He suggested carrying written permission from the landowner.

However, on lands that are not private, he said that hunting coyote with a centerfire is not allowed during the archery season.

We had a good discussion about the clarity of the regs on this issue. The officer was very easy to talk to.

It would be interesting to hear what they have to say about this at the Edmonton office.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:26 PM

Interesting interpretation.....Except coyotes are not listed as an archery only species under any regulation.....so....nope.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:19 PM

You may want to talk to the county offices too.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:30 AM

Had a doe at 10 yards and another one at 40 yards lastnight, the deer are starting to move a bit more, it's that time of year
Old 11-13-2014, 07:52 PM

Had two young bucks in my field last night chasing does.
Warburg area
Old 11-15-2014, 09:53 AM

Thumbs up Whitetail in 248

Can we hunt in 248 on Sundays ?

Last edited by GroundSquirrel; 11-15-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:56 AM

Thumbs up Whitetail in 248

Out this morning for my first time this year. I spotted 4 bucks and about 10 does. 4 moose and a monster mule laying 5 yards of the road. Can't wait till tomorrow. I'm hunting with a Excalibur 330 crossbow 1-1/4 triple blade