Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-27-2014, 12:51 AM

Default Any November bow hunters?

Anyone bowhunting in November? Thinking of bowhunting a bit in November, there's a few spots where the farest spot is 20-30 yards at most
Old 10-27-2014, 01:32 AM

Looks like I will be this year...

Not a fan of it, getting scoped and all. Wish the deer numbers in 248 were better, but they ain't so I guess ill go and take my chances. Get into the thick stuff where I've got some cover.

Ground blinds are your friend......wind can be brutal. Take a thermos and layer up.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:10 AM

I bow hunt all year round and the problem for me in colder weather is bulky clothing rather than other hunters or cold
Old 10-27-2014, 06:59 AM

Best time of year to be in a stand
Old 10-27-2014, 07:18 AM

Yes sir. Cabelas stand hunter bibs and parka was one of the best investments I have made.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Looks like I will be this year...

Not a fan of it, getting scoped and all. Wish the deer numbers in 248 were better, but they ain't so I guess ill go and take my chances. Get into the thick stuff where I've got some cover.

Ground blinds are your friend......wind can be brutal. Take a thermos and layer up.
There is absolutely no shortage of deer in 248 where we hunt, just waiting for the right one now that work has slowed down.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:54 AM
Banned

I plan on having my bow with me at all times if I'm in 248 just in case an elk or moose shows itself. I am a little concerned about shooting a bow in very cold temps.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:24 AM

Took three of my biggest book Whitetails in November with a bow...
biggest issue as mentioned is not so much other hunters or cold...its shooting while bundled up...

Shoot often with heavy clothes on and from stand or blind you will be using...heavy clothes change the way you shoot dramatically..

One thing I HAVE to do is wear an armguard to keep bulky clothing down on my arm...other than that bring it on...

Biggest issue of many is being over-bowed...meaning to much poundage...because the cold can be like adding 20 lbs to the bow...its NOT the bow...its just the shooter and muscle restriction...

Neil
Old 10-27-2014, 09:42 AM

Arrowed deer nov. 18, 19, and 20th movement has always changed that time. Basically plan my whitetail hunting around it. The one I got Dec 6 made for a long cold couple weeks! If I'm in the blind I bring a propane heater and run it periodically to keep blood flowing. I tend to stay away from bulky clothing and use a couple good thermal layers. Also, take a fleece blanket to bundle up in for extra warmth and quiet. Extra socks to change after the walk in.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:50 AM

of course. Rifle won't make it out again this year.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:16 AM

I have a tough time finding land to hunt in 248 that is not to crowded. Have one good spot but that is it. Anyway yes I will have the bow out all November I have a few spots where rifle is open Nov 1 but to close to residential for shooting so hopefully it will be ok.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:33 AM

I love being out with my bow in November, actually i only bow hunt so no brainer i guess. I have only once been too cold to pull my bow and it sucked but it taught me to every once in awhile to make sure im clear and do a few pulls just to make sure im not seized up at the moment of truth.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:43 PM

I finally have a week off in November this year to chase whitetails. First time in my life. I usually only take a week for elk and just go on weekends for deer in November with the rifle. I will be bow hunting the whole time this year. We have multiple deer that will score around or over 150" on our trail cams. I might invest in some new winter gear Im gonna be sitting in the stand a better part of the day and was looking for some suggestions. Good luck to all the November bow hunters. Shoot straight!
Old 10-27-2014, 03:55 PM

I have hunted the last two years into Dec. with my bow. I will again this year if given the opportunity. This year however has seen me working a lot longer and no longer being able to sit in a stand or blind after work during the week. I really miss getting out after work and spending a few hours out hunting before heading home.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-27-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter12 View Post
I I might invest in some new winter gear Im gonna be sitting in the stand a better part of the day and was looking for some suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkhammer View Post
Cabelas stand hunter bibs and parka was one of the best investments I have made.
x2 on the Cabelas stand hunter. Buy lotsa hand warmers and put 'em everywhere. Booties, handwarmer muff, balaclava, toque, fur hat .........

Figure out what you need to keep warm and bowhunting in November can be enjoyable. I love seeing all of the rutting behavior!
Old 10-27-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkhammer View Post
Yes sir. Cabelas stand hunter bibs and parka was one of the best investments I have made.
Same.

And add a few heat packs in strategic spots. Actually sewed in small pockets from an old facecloth onto my favourite wool shirt (2 X kidney area and 1 between shoulder blades) and long underwear as well (2 X thigh area). One between the two hats and 1-2 in the hand muff. Works like a charm in -20.

As mentioned above, bulk is the hardest obstacle for shooting. Practice in your cold-weather clothing before you hit the stand. You might be shocked at the results...and glad you took the time before sendng an arrow on the flightpath to a dream buck.

Last edited by ThreeD; 10-27-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:04 PM

Till the end of the season I will have a longbow or recurve with me. I do take a Flintlock out from time to time also.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:59 AM

I will be in Strathcona until its over. Two stands in there and a groundblind. Been seeing alot of game.. been waiting for splitbrow. Seen him 70 yards away on saturday morning. He will come.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Took three of my biggest book Whitetails in November with a bow...
biggest issue as mentioned is not so much other hunters or cold...its shooting while bundled up...

Shoot often with heavy clothes on and from stand or blind you will be using...heavy clothes change the way you shoot dramatically..

One thing I HAVE to do is wear an armguard to keep bulky clothing down on my arm...other than that bring it on...

Biggest issue of many is being over-bowed...meaning to much poundage...because the cold can be like adding 20 lbs to the bow...its NOT the bow...its just the shooter and muscle restriction...

Neil
Good advice Neil ,armguard is one of the most important . Gotta keep the coat out of the way ,I use a roll of black electrical tape and simply start near my wrist and wrap it around my arm up to the elbow . Keep it loose enough to allow good movement but tight enough to do the job . Pull your bow once in awhile as already stated and be prepared to sit all day if you can . Good luck everyone , we'll be out there too .
Old 10-29-2014, 08:01 AM

I will likely be going back to rifle on Nov 1 , the little bit of time I actually got out bowhunting I thoroughly enjoyed. Harvest drug on longer then expected eating up some days on me, then when I figured I was actually caught up my father in- law passed away suddenly and unexpectedly of a heart attack. That thru a wrench into the family and any plans we had, it also delayed me on reassembling an eng in a 4wd tractor for a customer.
I hope I can finish off this overhaul and have that tractor out the door by Thursday . I then plan to spend all day Friday trying to relocate a good mule I've been trying to close the distance on , hoping I can close the deal as its a general tag .
Old 10-29-2014, 08:33 AM

Was in stand last night ..only minus 1C but with that wind it felt like -40...brrrrr had to sit by my fireplace all night to fight off that chill...

As Mick Jagger sang..."Getting old is such a drag"
lol
Neil
Old 10-29-2014, 08:55 AM

The last couple years I've used my crossbow in late November, but I have a hard time using my bow while bundled up. Even last weekend I wore my wool jacket while in the stand. I had to be careful when drawing, but was able to place a good shot.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:01 AM

Another must have is a ...*Whistle* here we go....lol

Hand muff...For those who dont/can't shoot with gloves these things are a lifesaver...mine buckle on waist ...wind proof and so warm...add a chem heat pack and it warms your whole body..fast and easy access for hands and doesnt interfere with shot...

Neil
Old 10-29-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Another must have is a ...*Whistle* here we go....lol

Hand muff...For those who dont/can't shoot with gloves these things are a lifesaver...mine buckle on waist ...wind proof and so warm...add a chem heat pack and it warms your whole body..fast and easy access for hands and doesnt interfere with shot...

Neil
x2 I have a Sitka one and I love it. Super warm
Old 10-30-2014, 09:21 PM

I have been sitting in stands for just about the last 20 years almost exclusively with my bow I find November a magical time to be in the woods, every year I see elk, martin, grouse, coyotes, the odd moose and a whole bunch of bucks I have never laid my eyes on.....excited doesn't even cover it

Good luck everybody
Old 11-02-2014, 08:46 AM

All I have is one doe tag left since I got my buck and other doe with my bow in september so may as well go for a whitetail bow sweep!!
Old 11-02-2014, 09:03 AM
Banned

I hunt all season with a bow, every once in a while my flintlock will make a brief appearance, I don't bow hunt because the regs give me more opportunities to do so , I do it because I love it and it's much more satisfying harvesting an animal with a bow, where you actually have to go in the woods and hunt it.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:38 PM

Where to hunt in 248 doesn't that fall under city limits?
Old 11-04-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh7674 View Post
Where to hunt in 248 doesn't that fall under city limits?
Lots of area....getting permission is the tough part.

LC
Old 11-04-2014, 12:44 PM

No crown land?