Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-16-2014, 08:12 PM

Default Draw weight for moose

What would you guys recommend as a good draw weight for moose?? I currently draw 50lbs and and getting rather comfortable with it. Is it good enough or would it be recommended i go higher. The max i will be shooting is 40-50 yards.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2014, 08:25 PM

Question Hmmm

I'm no expert but I'd say try adding 5 pounds now and practice a bit, if good add 2 more pounds, then another 2 and so on . I'd suggest aiming for 60 pounds but being comfortable and consistent at 50 pounds is better than shakey at 60 pounds. Again I'm no expert but 50 yards at 50 pound draw seems to be pushing it. I'm sure a resident pro on here will steer you right. I currently shoot 60 pounds but limit myself to 40 yards on game...for now
Old 10-16-2014, 08:42 PM
Banned

Some may say go for it, I'd suggest a little more weight, or shorter distance. I like shooting a minimum of 385gr arrow, my arrows are in the 400gr-435gr range, and I'm drawing 74lbs. This is just what I'm shooting, and my opinion, not based on scientific facts, just my opinion. The last thing you want is a bull moose running around with an arrow stuck in a rib bone.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:41 PM

Default Draw weight

50 lbs recurve or longbow and 20 yards will kill anything we've got.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:10 PM

If you can hit the vitals , your 50lbs is enough. But like others have said, you should keep your shots under 30 yards. IMO.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:54 PM

A perfectly placed arrow, shot out of a perfectly tuned 50 lb bow, with a scary sharp cut on contact broadhead....MIGHT kill a moose at 40. But a moose rib is like a 2x4 and the shoulder blade is like armor. if you only get one lung you are in more trouble than you ever thought possible. Moose run for water when scared or wounded.

No offense, but there is a lot more going on than just draw weight. Arrow weight & diameter, ke, velocity/trajectory, broadhead design, shot placement... all will determine how effective your set up is. 40-50yards? There's a big difference between the two. That should be a known personal max, 30 for 30 in the same 4 inch group.

By the question you asked, I'm going to suggest you study and practice a lot more, and move up in draw weight when you are able to. 60lbs will work just fine, so long as the rest of your setup is appropriate.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:18 PM

50# is enough. Do you know your arrow weight and speed?

Draw weight is really irrelevant from the stand point of effectively killing game with a sharp broadhead and arrow of adequate weight.

More draw weight could be desirable as it will flatten out your trajectory and will improve penetration, but getting a pass through is not necessary when killing big game. You will be fine out to 50 yards.

Its kind of a loaded question due to vast differences in bow performance now. There are 60# bows capable of out performing 70# bows. I have seen a guy brag up his brand X set at 74# and pooh pooh a 60 # brand Y . Shot them both through a chrony and the 60# bow blew the door off with a similar weight arrow. Nearly 10 fps faster.

I shoot about 64 lbs now and it is ample for the biggest game we run into around here. I use a FMJ and a solid fixed blade broadhead. Shot a cow elk pretty much end for end at 40 yards and completely through a moose at 40 as well.

If you choose to shoot lighter weight you may be limited to fixed blade broadheads, at one time they used to talk about minimum kinetic energy requirements for mechanicals. Might be different with some of the newer designs, but you would have to ask someone else. I personally don't use mechanical broadheads.

Last edited by 338Bluff; 10-16-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:42 AM

Okay thanks guys for the replies so far, its given me alot to think about. Also when i say 40-50 yards, right know i will shoot up to 40 yards, i am very comfortable and confident at that range. this is not the case at 50, i just asked possibly for future references. I don't know off by heart the specs of my bow speed, arrow weight, broadhead weight and so on, ill try to get them all together when i get home. Thanks again
Old 10-17-2014, 11:18 AM

Have had countless shooters knock down moose and elk with 40-50 lb bows...well tuned and sharpest heads possible is the key...

Shoot what is comfortable for you...worst scenio is being overbowed as it gets colder...

Neil
Old 10-17-2014, 12:14 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Have had countless shooters knock down moose and elk with 40-50 lb bows...well tuned and sharpest heads possible is the key...

Shoot what is comfortable for you...worst scenio is being overbowed as it gets colder...

Neil
Absolutely right

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-19-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:

Neil
the worst scenario is a very angry bull moose with an arrow sticking out of it, looking for revenge.

second worst is watching a one lung-hit bull run for the lake and die halfway out... seen it, two young guys up to their necks and an older one shouting 'should have shot the g......m swamp donkey in the kneecaps!!'

i get concerned when a guy is focused on a number ex draw weight. usually (but not always) indicates a lack of knowledge on some other important parts of bowhunting, and that's what i hoped to address. no offence intended. good on him for asking.

does anyone calculate ke based on velocity at target, at max personal distance? ie shoot through a chrony placed at 40 yards, and figure out how much ke the arrow is actually delivering. that might help the OP decide.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:55 AM

[QUOTE=3blade;2584826]the worst scenario is a very angry bull moose with an arrow sticking out of it, looking for revenge.

second worst is watching a one lung-hit bull run for the lake and die halfway out... seen it, two young guys up to their necks and an older one shouting 'should have shot the g......m swamp donkey in the kneecaps!!'

i get concerned when a guy is focused on a number ex draw weight. usually (but not always) indicates a lack of knowledge on some other important parts of bowhunting, and that's what i hoped to address. no offence intended. good on him for asking.

does anyone calculate ke based on velocity at target, at max personal distance? ie shoot through a chrony placed at 40 yards, and figure out how much ke the arrow is actually delivering. that might help the OP decide.[/QUOTE]

lol...sorry not laughing at your statement just got several pics of a couple shooters killing their chronys at point blank range...can just picture the chaos at 40 yards for the poor chronys...

I know I wont be volunteering mine for that 40 yd shooting!!
lol

Im thinking that one is best done on paper..
Neil
Old 10-20-2014, 08:16 AM

Default Chronograph

If anyone wants to volunteer their chrony I'd sure like to see what my heavy arrows are doing at 40 yards . Ya, I was wondering about that statement too but within the post is the gist of a good point. It's not bow weight that mattes, it's how the whole package of bow and arrows works together.

Please, please,please,, don't turn this into a speed VS kinetic energy discussion. We've seen too many of those.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:44 AM

I was thinking the same thing after I posted that, very expensive if you do it wrong. Thus the "does anyone" part....but you never know. Some guys are pretty confident or have sponsors to pay for stuff.

Most of my statements are intended to be laughed at. No worries.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
I was thinking the same thing after I posted that, very expensive if you do it wrong. Thus the "does anyone" part....but you never know. Some guys are pretty confident or have sponsors to pay for stuff.

Most of my statements are intended to be laughed at. No worries.
As are my posts 3Blade...its just funny ...thing is a guy can hit a Loonie cosistanly all day long at 20 yards but put presure on yourself buy shooting at that chrony even at 20 yards is nerve racking...tried it and nicked mine with vane ...lol

Heres one that dont read so good no mo!!

lol
Neil
Old 10-22-2014, 12:09 PM

I have a 13 year old reflex bow ( likely not the most effecient bow out there being that age but it shoots great) set at 60 pounds. I shot a 4 yr old bull moose Sept 26 at 35 yds and it went thru both shoulder blades and stopped just under hide of far shoulder. Last years bull at 38 yds had complete pass thru right thru those 2x4 ribs moose apprently have. I use 100gr slick trick Viper Tricks their narrower cut on contact head and Victory V1's 390 grains arrows 29.5 inch. Never chronographed bow. This years bull went 65 yds last years 150 yds. Personally I think there is way to much hype on speed and weight. Hit it in correct spot with good broadhead and thats all she wrote!

Muzzy
Old 10-22-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
As are my posts 3Blade...its just funny ...thing is a guy can hit a Loonie cosistanly all day long at 20 yards but put presure on yourself buy shooting at that chrony even at 20 yards is nerve racking...tried it and nicked mine with vane ...lol

Heres one that dont read so good no mo!!

lol

Neil

This is the chronograph I have been using for the last 10 or so years. Got it after I shot my last chrony! Lol. These are awesome! It will see an arrow 3 feet above it and is as accurate as any other I have tested it against. About the same price as the others too. They offer some really great features too! Definitely worth a look. I have used mine with archery tackle out to 100 yards to calibrate my drag coefficient on my OT-2 program.

To the op, shoot as much draw weight as you comfortably can accurately and consistently. Of course more is better, but accuracy is paramount to draw weight any time.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WINCHESTER View Post
What would you guys recommend as a good draw weight for moose?? I currently draw 50lbs and and getting rather comfortable with it. Is it good enough or would it be recommended i go higher. The max i will be shooting is 40-50 yards.

Thanks
If you use the concept that Bowhunting is about getting close not shooting far you have lots of power. Traditional bows with much less power are doing quite well on moose . Moderate sized fixed blade broadheads and you should be just fine.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:19 AM

ArrowDog took a great moose this year using fixed blade Muzzys and a bow at 27inches with a 47lb draw weight....under 30 yards.

LC
Old 10-23-2014, 11:36 AM

Here is a photo of a friend with a good moose he took drawing 27" and 37# with a 494 gr arrow traveling 137FPS. That little bow is a 41# bow at 28".
Old 10-23-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Here is a photo of a friend with a good moose he took drawing 27" and 37# with a 494 gr arrow traveling 137FPS. That little bow is a 41# bow at 28".
Thats outstanding...

get ready for the 40lb legal bow questions again...lol

Neil
Old 10-23-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Thats outstanding...

get ready for the 40lb legal bow questions again...lol

Neil
A course in reading comprehension will be needed for some.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:41 PM

Default i pull

70 lb bow with 470 grain arrows for moose and deer I hunt both at the same time my bow is set too 67 lb but is too much for deer I got a deer at 50 yards,and my arrow went an extra 30 yards was looking for my arrow for 3 hours lol things are expensive was worried more of the location of my arrow hahahahahah
Old 12-03-2014, 12:56 PM

Cool Accuracy counts

Hit your location and use the correct broad-heads, you will have no problem killing a moose at any legal draw weight...