Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-24-2014, 09:31 PM

Default Pontoon boat storage and transport

Hey all, just wanted to know what everybody does for storage and transportation of their pontoon boats. I recently bought a fishcat 9IR and after looking at all the pieces that came with it I'm wondering if everyone leaves the frame together and just deflates the pontoons for storage and transporting, or do you take it apart and pack it away in some sort of duffel? Just curious what system you run and why as I'm trying to figure out whats gonna work best for me. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:35 PM

I hang my frame on the wall of my garage and place the toons and parts in 2 large plastic bins.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:00 AM

Mine stays together with pontoons deflated propped up against the garage wall.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Mine stays together with pontoons deflated propped up against the garage wall.

This is my method as well.

During fishing season I always leave enough air in the pontoons to make it easier to move into back of truck but always leave room for expansion contraction when weather warms up.

Once you're at fishing destination top up the air and away you go.

This works great if you have a vehicle that it will fit in fully assembled.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:36 PM

I set up cables and two small pulleys on my garage wall with carribeaners that lock into metal brackets. The boat is suspended on the wall about 5 feet off the ground. Stays 90% inflated all the time. With the pulley's, it takes 30 seconds to lift it and secure it.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:24 PM

Mine sit on my aluminum trailer in the garage and it ****es my wife off to no end.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
Mine sit on my aluminum trailer in the garage and it ****es my wife off to no end.
lol, it is my goal to try and avoid this if at all possible. That was some of the reasoning behind me asking the question...
Old 02-26-2014, 06:51 AM

Check out the Outcast website - they have a new garage hoist system for a 100 bucks - has a video showing how it works. You could build something similar for less.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:05 AM

I made two L shaped brackets and attached them to garage wall. use my foot rests on my pontoon to hang it from. transporting I never completely deflate, just let out small amount, for expansion purposes. found that they are much easier to move around with air still in pontoon.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:33 AM

I keep the frame and deflated/folded pontoons in the basement. As said before, I dunno how long the old lady is going to put up with it.

Before I head out fishing i like to load everything in the back of the truck and stop at the gas station to use their air pump to fill my pontoons. Saves me a lot of inflation time
Old 02-26-2014, 11:11 AM

Careful with inflating to max at home and driving up to higher elevation's, pressure changes could burst you're valves.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:40 PM

Having a pickup truck is definitely a bonus, but even then, sometimes it can be a challenge, as to how to transport it. When I head for BC, I usually have all the camping gear, and it can be a tight fit, to get the boat in on top of that stuff. But, folded up and deflated, it is amazing how little space you need.
My old truck had a topper w/o roof rack, this one has a roof rack. You can transport inflated, on top like that, but, have to watch for temp changes as the straps will loosen or tighten as the temps change, or altitude changes.
Once I am at destination, and the truck is empty, slight deflation will work to slide it into the truck.
I have also hauled it assembled and inflated, on a cheapy "Home Depot special" utility trailer, or tossed it into the boat, if I take that with me.
Definitely is the favorite way to do it.
At home it is usually taken apart, seat off ( it's on a QD mount), with the pontoons left attached to the frame halves, and deflated.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
Check out the Outcast website - they have a new garage hoist system for a 100 bucks - has a video showing how it works. You could build something similar for less.
There hoist system seems poor, have to drop or hoist it from both side separately. For less than 40$ im sure i could rig up something that would just clip on, pull 1 rope and up it goes.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:37 AM

my frame is hung from bicycle hooks, and my pontoons are in a goalie bag for storage.. my question this being my first winter with it. Is it bad to store your pontoon deflated ?

was gonna try to keep track but ive caught to many!!!
Old 03-10-2014, 10:06 AM

I leave mine 3/4 inflated and suspended from the ceiling - hoisted straight up and horizontal. Her car fits underneath it and she usually doesn't climb on top of the car so it is not in the way. When I want to use it I just lower it straight on to the back of my pick me up.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 03-11-2014, 07:18 AM

when I bought mine the general consencous was to keep it together and to NOT DEFLATE THE PONTOONS so I never did and it was in perfect condition when i sold it. I transported in the short box of a 1500 dodge ram with the box open. Was very easy to slide in and out of the box (easy fellas lol). No problem what so ever. You will need another person to get it to the water unless you have those wheels or are able to get right close to it. I only fished with it when i was able to pull right up to the body of water i was fishing.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:55 AM

Default Pontoon

I bought a large zippered fabric xmas tree bag from Lowes. think it was $20. Has wheels on one end and is large enough to hold the frame, oars, anchor, pumps, life jacket. The pontoons are deflated and put in another bag to keep them from getting damaged. The bag with the frame has handles, so I just pull from the garage out to the truck. Have used this for over 5 years now with no problems.
One other trick is to drill 2 extra holes in the straight section of your foot peg bars. If I can't get close enough to the water to assemble or it's just to busy at the launch I assemble the pontoon in the parking lot or at the trailer and reverse the foot bars with a set of old lawnmower wheels. Takes 2 minutes to remove the wheels at the lake and then just put the foot pegs back as usual. Don't need a fancy, heavy wheel kit.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:56 PM

Default Pontoon Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheartssteelhead View Post
I set up cables and two small pulleys on my garage wall with carribeaners that lock into metal brackets. The boat is suspended on the wall about 5 feet off the ground. Stays 90% inflated all the time. With the pulley's, it takes 30 seconds to lift it and secure it.

Hi Ryan, any chance you can provide a pic of your pulley set up ?

Thanks
Old 08-09-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
I use the Outcast system. Great solution to store it out if the way. I'm sure you could buy the odds and ends at C Tire for less but.......