Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Banned

Default recipe for wolverine bait please

Recipe wanted for reliable wolverine lure, also for Marten lure, Lynx lure and fox / coyote / wolf
Old 09-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Gone Hunting

The only bait I ever use for carnivores is beaver meat.

For Marten Fisher and Wolverine I use a whole carcass wired to the middle of a 10 to 15 foot pole, mounted at head height, horizontal, between two trees.

I place a 220 size body trap on either side of the bait about half way between the bait and the nearest tree. Two traps.

I have caught hundreds of Fisher and Marten with this set, but only one Wolverine. To the best of my knowledge it is the only Wolverine that ventured into my trapping area in the time i was trapping that area.

There are no Wolverine on my existing trap line.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:47 PM

Default lure

think he was askin about lure... not bait..... but some peaple dont use lure and have decent success. lure with your bait, draws the critters in from a farther range.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Gone Hunting

You are right. I stand corrected.

However, with most of my sets I do not use lure, I have found that a large bait is a better lure then any concocted scent.

When I do use a lure, I use a recipe my dad taught me.

One pair Beaver Castor.
one pair mink gland.
1/4 cup vodka.

Blend into a soft paste.

From there I add ingredients to match the target animals preferences.

A dab of pure - fresh - Skunk scent, for Fisher and Wolverine.

Well rotted Moose liver, Asafoetida oil and Catnip Oil for Lynx.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:03 PM

Default lure

^^^^^^thats what he wanted... you trap west of keg? or around carcajou? im from around there to. know many peaple from keg and paddle and manning. lived up there 35 years.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:51 PM

Always used a whitefish lure....place a pile of whitefish in a barrel....leave for a year....stirring occassionally....then transfer to maple syrup containers and wholla.....otherwise frozen whitefish work great....330's so they don't shy.

GB
Old 10-01-2010, 07:53 PM

Oh forgot...all cubby sets some with milk crates...tip- black doesn't work...yellow are best
Old 10-02-2010, 02:01 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
^^^^^^thats what he wanted... you trap west of keg? or around carcajou? im from around there to. know many peaple from keg and paddle and manning. lived up there 35 years.
I was born and raised in Carcajou. Went to school at Dr. Mary Jackson school in Keg, now I live a few miles north of Manning, near Hawk Hills.
I know almost everyone in Keg, a good many people in Paddle, High Level, LaCrete and Manning. A few in Peace River and Grimshaw too.

My trapline is on the east side of the river, at Carcajou, I inherited my dads line.
It takes in much of the Wolverine river.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:14 PM

Default Call lure

2 large baggs of frozen smelts at the super store that other people like to eat, 6 bever castors from the previous year and the oil sacks too. Dozen eggs haulf jug of milk, blend in a food proseser. Let it go for the month of sept and then mix it with rv antifrezz before it gets too stinky. Make sure you can still pour it. I go to the local bottel depo and get gatorade containers whitch i fill 2/3 full and I take 2 bottels out every tripp. I use this lure for all of my catches but just use it as an attractant - lynx , bobcat , martin and wolverine. I dont catch allot of the devil but if i have a lynx set and he is around he will come to the set. All of my lynx sets are 330's and they are baited with a 1/2 bever or any scraps from the hunting season make the bait big, animals like fresh and big baits in the cubbies
Old 10-07-2010, 04:26 PM

For a scent lure I keep it easy and Wolverine like all the weasels love a mixture of skunk essence and glycerin. everyone knows beaver is top notch bait but lynx meat is a close second.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
For a scent lure I keep it easy and Wolverine like all the weasels love a mixture of skunk essence and glycerin. everyone knows beaver is top notch bait but lynx meat is a close second.
I try to use bever as my #1 bait and then it is usally elk or deer scrapps and some muskrat. I have never thought of using my lynx carcases as bait but a dead lxnx in a conabear is like a feast for any flesh eating furbearer on my line including its own family members.