Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 09-20-2010, 10:31 PM

Default Snares

I have only used 1/8 snares for the last 8 years, I went on a trapping corse with Ross hinter this past summer and he thinks Iam crazy to use that big of cabel. He asked if I was also using it for puling my truck out of a tuff spot, no, I started trapping with little knolage from others. Other than a trapper that I partnered with witch was 75-82 at the time he said that to hold a wolf we had to have the big cabel to hold a wolf. I catch wolves every year but never any more than 4. What do other trappers use for snares. The season is comming quick and i would like some advice

Rod Graham
Old 09-20-2010, 11:05 PM

I'm not sure the size the trapper uses that i tag along with is but it is the size of a cell phone charger chord if that helps and has a cable lock on it as well. his snares are 7ft long so as it can get momentum an set it an done cleanly. He has caught alota coyotes with that set-up. hope it helps
Old 09-21-2010, 10:29 PM

I am not a wolfer but for coyotes the 1/16 1 x 19 is ideal. Using the senneker system with his kill spring and long leads 3/32 1 x19 would probably work slick for wolves. Marty said as much in his snaring videos. The small diameter makes it conceal better and the 1x19 is nice and stiff so it holds a loop nice. I hope this helps.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:26 AM

Default Wolf snares

I use 3/32 1/19 10 foot snares and caught 3 wolves last season. The one laid down quick with very little struggle. One chewed out with little struggle and the third chewed out and destroyed the area. I am guessing my loops may have been too low in the snow and they manged to get a leg through first or the camlock were froze up? This season my loops will be 16 in diameter and at least 18 inches off the ground. I want to make sure I get them right under the chin.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:43 PM

3/32cable 1 by 19 with 1/8 camlock and filed in teeth I like to put a figure 8 (12gauge)between the lock and the cable ( 5 feet in length).then attach to a 12 or nine gauge annealed wire,tie this to a healthy small tree (5-8")to act as a shockabsorber about 5feet above ground.center on the trail ,open loop all the way,keep bottom of snare at least knee high.better too high then too low if you catch coyotes it is defenetly too low!never had a live or chewed out wolf since I started using this method!very little disturbence at catch site.good luck!
Old 09-23-2010, 10:01 PM

Default Figure8 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountaintrapper View Post
3/32cable 1 by 19 with 1/8 camlock and filed in teeth I like to put a figure 8 (12gauge)between the lock and the cable ( 5 feet in length).then attach to a 12 or nine gauge annealed wire,tie this to a healthy small tree (5-8")to act as a shockabsorber about 5feet above ground.center on the trail ,open loop all the way,keep bottom of snare at least knee high.better too high then too low if you catch coyotes it is defenetly too low!never had a live or chewed out wolf since I started using this method!very little disturbence at catch site.good luck!
I would like to know more about the figure 8 between the lock and cabel you had mentioned it really got me intrested, does it make the lock slide better with a bit more weight or does it make the snare sit better? good stufff
Old 09-30-2010, 11:13 AM
Gone Hunting

1/8 sounds about right for Wolves.
It is what I teach people to use. The wire I recommend is; 1/8 7x7 aircraft cable.

I don't get many wolves on my trap line. My best friend, who I trained to snare, catches several dozen every year using my methods and snare design.

For Coyote I use 5/64 1x19

For Fisher I used 5/64 1/19, I no longer snare Fisher, body traps are far better.

for beaver, lynx and fox I use 1/16 1x19

I learned to use the 1x19 wire partially because it is easy to train, ( form a free standing loop ) and because used snares were unraveled and the individual wires use to make squirrel snares. The wire was just the right size and strength.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:31 PM

Not knocking 1/8" but I've gone to 3/32 cable. But I use a short section mounted to a #9 wire. Wolf doesn't have a bunch of wire to chew as the #9support wire is all it can reach. Shouldn't be chewing anyways, should be dead.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:27 PM

The only problem iam thinking i have with 1/8 is they see it. Dozens of times they are going on the right track and then they backup and go a side shoot. I have learned to put 2-3 extras on either side in the thick stuff and then i can catch them 90% kill in the last 10 years on all my snared wolves i dont have a chewing problem. Brian why did you go to the 3/32?