Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
What do you mean by a foam roller? I have plenty of foam mattress in storage and can cut one to any size I want
Once again thanks to all of you for tips and suggestions. I am a healthy active man a this is killing me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unfortunately, your foam mattresses won't be dense enough for the amount of pressure that you need to be applying. The foam rollers for self myofascial release look more like a really thick (6 to 8") but not-so-long (20" or 36" are pretty standard) pool noodles. There are also ones that have a textured / ribbed / patterned covering for more advanced use.

This should give you the basics of what to look for:
http://www.wikihow.com/Choose-a-Foam-Roller

While I don't use the particular type of roller advertised in the following video (mine is 20" long, 8" in diameter, and is uncovered and medium density), this is the technique that I find works the best for me on my sciatic / piriformis pain:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOcdcAkVmck

While I cringe at recommending even over-the-counter meds, the pain has served its purpose by showing you that there is a problem, and it might be time to start getting some anti-inflammatory meds and pain killers on board. Alternating extra-strength ibuprofin (Advil) and acetaminophen (Tylenol) should be enough to get your pain under control so that you can at least start moving around. That movement is your best friend, and your need for the meds should decrease as you are able to move more. Oh - and while some prefer naproxen (Aleve) to ibuprofin, it really is a matter of which works better for you while being as easy as possible on your guts (they both can be quite nasty for some people).

Hope this helps!
Old 01-18-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

For a couple of weeks I tried to tough it out as I had always done with the lower back pain but it was getting worse and I was close to totally incapacitated so I went to the doctor.

He prescribed stretching exercises and acupuncture treatments.

The acupuncture got me back on my feet and the stretching finished the job. I've had no trouble since.

The primary stretching exercise I was taught to do was to stand on my toes on a step of some sort, then lift myself as high as I could with my toes and then lower as far as I could as many times as I could.

The only other exercise I was taught was to pull my legs, one at a time, as high as I could, while laying on my back.

I still do the toe lift a few times a week and like I said, I've had no further bouts of nerve pain.
The acupuncture really helped me.

I would walk in all hunched over and walk out all good. In a matter of 15 minutes of needles and I felt great.
The stretching really helps.

Every so often I have to go in for a tune-up....Depending on my activity maybe 1-2 times a year; only maybe. I haven't been in over a year.

As for a chiropractor, I won't let them touch me...a really bad experience. So bad that the technician refunded me my money and thought there may be a law suit.

That was 20 years ago and NEVER again. They may have a place for a lot of people but just for me....IMO

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.