Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2017, 08:57 PM

Default Unique Power Ram sets

We've got a bit of a discussion going on in the BADS thread and I thought I'd start this one to avoid further derailing of Hunterdaves thread.

I was interested to hear Thunderf/x was using camlocks in conjunction with power Rams. It's something which had previously crossed my mind but I dismissed. Maybe I've been underestimating the number of coyotes backing out of my snares?

One unique (I think?) set I've been working on is using a wolfmaster ram with 55 inches of cable. When I build the snare I include a wire whammy and a BAD. This allows me to make a nice coyote size loop and still have a fair bit of cable left. I use some 9 wire as a snare support. I can then hide the Ram around the backside of a tree or brush to conceal it. I don't have many of these out but it seems to be working on the catches I've made.

I tried a similar thing last year using a double ferrule as a whammy but I found since there is no swivel I was always fighting a twist in the cable. The wire whammy allows me to twist the snare into the proper position.

I have another idea utilizing two Rams for a fence set but it hasn't progressed beyond the idea rolling around in my head.

Last edited by Tfng; 01-10-2017 at 09:03 PM.