Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2012, 09:41 PM

Default Oil field operator courses Sait vs Nait

Been contemplating getting in the well operating gig again, allready got a truck with a lift and big tires, so that should help lol, and was searching courses to do, since I dont have any conections i guess ill have to get some knowledge. The to schools are around the same price but sait seems more geared at well operating, while nait seems to be broader. Or maybe its just that sait gives a much better description of what the course actually is.

Looking for opinions on people who have actually done the courses and feed back on what you did or did not like.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:08 PM

I think daylight and a few others willl train you themselves, depending on what you deal with it's not really a 'certified thing' for field operations. Probably just a matter of getting into the office or getting the right guy at the right moment.

Some of the smaller companys don't give a rip, the bigger ones want 4th class steam etc. but in reality the province would not let you get steam time on wells n'stuff as far as I know, or it'd be a fight to get them to agree.

A gas plant operator course from sait might not be a bad idea, whitecourt and fox creek seem to be full of natural gas and gas liquids.

Even if you don't get a job out of it knowledge is always a good thing, Ive had to help members of a drilling crew spell their job titles on camp room doors from time to time. Education in the patch puts you miles ahead of the average joe when going after more technical things.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:13 PM

If contracting is what you want. just gotta knock on the right door. You want a long term career, get a steam ticket and look around. SAGD is the focus for quite a few companies
Old 08-02-2012, 11:11 AM

I went from contracting to employee and would go back to contracting in a second,goverment doesnt take as much of your money.

I just finished up my GPO A,B,C,D and started with my 4th class with SAIT(SAIT courses are easier then the NAIT)I work in the feild so to finsh my 4th class I'll have to try to move into the plant to get my hours.

timba
Old 10-29-2016, 11:09 AM

hey, what did you end up doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Been contemplating getting in the well operating gig again, allready got a truck with a lift and big tires, so that should help lol, and was searching courses to do, since I dont have any conections i guess ill have to get some knowledge. The to schools are around the same price but sait seems more geared at well operating, while nait seems to be broader. Or maybe its just that sait gives a much better description of what the course actually is.

Looking for opinions on people who have actually done the courses and feed back on what you did or did not like.