Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-09-2016, 09:55 PM

Default Fluorocarbon leader knots, tying up a bunch of worm harneses

I'm tying up some spinner rigs, worm & minnow and was Just wondering if anyone else use crazy glue for there fluorocarbon leader knots. I'm not sure if it's needed as much as it used to be with how much floro has improved but I still do it anyways.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:30 PM

I got some cheap floro years ago that would somehow come undone, it had zero stretch and and a buddy mentioned he uses crazy glue on his knots and I have ever since. Habit I guess.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
I'm tying up some spinner rigs, worm & minnow and was Just wondering if anyone else use crazy glue for there fluorocarbon leader knots. I'm not sure if it's needed as much as it used to be with how much floro has improved but I still do it anyways.
I lost a savage inline lure recently and I think it had to do with the crazy glue. I find my knots are better without because the slight slipping actually makes the knots tighter.

Could be way off base but the knots at both ends of the leader came apart with the same head shake ... which is not the first or even largest fish I caught. I think the glue just gave and the knot let go.

Would the same have happened without the crazy glue ... maybe but I don't think so.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
I lost a savage inline lure recently and I think it had to do with the crazy glue. I find my knots are better without because the slight slipping actually makes the knots tighter.

Could be way off base but the knots at both ends of the leader came apart with the same head shake ... which is not the first or even largest fish I caught. I think the glue just gave and the knot let go.

Would the same have happened without the crazy glue ... maybe but I don't think so.
I pull the knot pretty tight before I dab it. I've been using it for years, even on my pike leaders I tie up at the start of the season and haven't had a knot failure yet. I've also used the same bottle of glue in my tackle box for years lol when I run out I'll see how it goes with without it.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
I pull the knot pretty tight before I dab it. I've been using it for years, even on my pike leaders I tie up at the start of the season and haven't had a knot failure yet. I've also used the same bottle of glue in my tackle box for years lol when I run out I'll see how it goes with without it.
This is my first year using such heavy fluorocarbon so it could definitely be knot tying skills. Was just weird that knots on both ends failed at the same time.

I actually find it pretty hard to get tight Rapala knots with it.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:37 PM

Fluorocarbon is not the easiest material to use to make a nice tight and clean knot - those knots look outstanding (as good as any machine tied knot I've ever seen) - congrats on a real nice job there.

I use a dab of crazy glue on the leaders I make using heavier (80lb) fluorocarbon (as it's pretty tough to get the knot tight and clean with thicker heavier line) but I've never used glue on fluorocarbon 40lbs and lighter. It seems to be a little more forgiving for me.

I guess it depends on your comfort level.