Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-30-2014, 08:12 PM

Default Ground Blind vs Treestand

So my next big purchase is going to be one of the 2...... what do you use and why?

What are the pros and cons?

Should i just get both? Lol.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:26 PM

Be versatile
Old 11-30-2014, 08:29 PM

Depends on what spots you have scouted. A treestand gets your scent off the ground and is my preferred way of hunting. That said if you have nothing but 4 " poplars in the spots you have scouted a tree stand isn't gonna help much.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
Depends on what spots you have scouted. A treestand gets your scent off the ground and is my preferred way of hunting. That said if you have nothing but 4 " poplars in the spots you have scouted a tree stand isn't gonna help much.
You're a genius. Lol. Yes that would definitely effect which i would use. Just testing ya.....

I hunt pretty versatile places.... heavy timber and skimpy field edge.

So if i were to get both, I'm going to have to be as cheapskate as possible. I don't want crap,waste of money. But i cant get the luxury. (I'm sure is the case for most)

So what would be the best bang for both?

I'm half inclined to throw some 2x4s together for the treestand.

What is a good, easy to move, and reasonably lightweight blind?
Old 11-30-2014, 09:45 PM

I use The Ameristep Tom Taker in Real Tree camo.Excellent blind for both archery or rifle.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:59 PM

I use a lone wolf hand climber which is pretty pricey, and an ameristep brickhouseblind which isn't so pricey,

check amazon, I had 3 lock on treestands shipped to my house for around 200 bucks all in, and they had huge platforms on them,

another thing your gonna wanna factor into this if you buy a treestand is a harness, most if not all treestands come with a cheap harness but I found it was a huge PITA to put on at 0 dark stupid, whereas the one I bought was a matter of clipping 3 clips in and carrying on my way

good luck in your search
Old 11-30-2014, 10:07 PM

I think hangers are awesome. Treestands until its too cold. Then ground blind. Being way up high turns it into a whole new game.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:09 PM

Hmmmm. Didn't think about the harness. It'd really be smart to use one if you're pretty high. I cant imagine I'd be any higher than 10'. Reckon thats high enough to merit a harness. Roughly how much are they? $100 or so?
Old 11-30-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post
Hmmmm. Didn't think about the harness. It'd really be smart to use one if you're pretty high. I cant imagine I'd be any higher than 10'. Reckon thats high enough to merit a harness. Roughly how much are they? $100 or so?
100-150 I believe

another option is to build natural groundblinds from sticks logs and foliage
Old 11-30-2014, 10:23 PM

Default Ground Blind vs Treestand

I like to be a minimum of 15' to 20' from the bottom of the platform to the ground, the higher the better imo for both view and scent dissipation so a harness is not an option. As mentioned natural ground blinds are awesome, if the foliage is available. You can also buy inexpensive camo nets to help augment them.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
100-150 I believe

another option is to build natural groundblinds from sticks logs and foliage
I've seen these.... think they look pretty sweet. Might give it a try.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:42 PM

if you got the time to put into it definitely
Old 11-30-2014, 10:53 PM

Default Treestand

If money is tight use a shovel and dig a pit blind, it's free and easily as effective as a treestand of it's done properly.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:56 PM

I like to be 20ft up.
My first year of hunting from a treestand I didn't like the height and went up about 10ft. Got busted lots. Started hanging the stands up 20ft. You rarely get busted at 20ft.

There is no way I'd go cheap on my treestand. Safety first!!
Ground blinds can be free. Make them out of branches and such. If possible, set them up well before you go hunting so the deer are used to them.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:21 AM

Pretty hard to fall out of a ground blind!
Old 12-01-2014, 06:28 AM

Hang-on treestands aren't that expensive if you stick to a basic stand. I've picked up all of mine for under $100 each. Here's one for $40 in the states: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...uctId=13148732

Almost every commercial treestand comes with a basic nylon strap fall-harness due to liability concerns. They aren't overly comfortable, but they'll stop you from falling out of the tree if you fall asleep. The higher end padded harnesses are a couple hundred bucks, but I've never bought one.

A set of tree steps will run you about $50 for a dozen. I like to carry a 20' length of rope to haul my bow up and down from the stand. You'll also need a handsaw to de-limb the tree as you ascend ($10 to 15).
Old 12-01-2014, 07:03 AM

I like them both but if you are in the 4" poplar areas a ground blind is really your only option.
If where you are hunting the land owner has stock in the immediate vicinity, the stock will find your blind and destroy it......I learned that $$$$ lesson.

It is not like they are on a search and destroy; but through simple feeding and curiosity.

You'll have to remove it at the end of the day or suspend it up a tree close by your location.

Good luck.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:09 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I would buy the tree stand. Use it in an area you scouted, out of sight of our criminals, they are lazy and don't venture too far off the beaten path. Ground blinds as mentioned before construct them out of deadfall etc, remember being a kid and building a fort kinda the same idea. The bonus to these is they do not go missing!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-01-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I would buy the tree stand. Use it in an area you scouted, out of sight of our criminals, they are lazy and don't venture too far off the beaten path. Ground blinds as mentioned before construct them out of deadfall etc, remember being a kid and building a fort kinda the same idea. The bonus to these is they do not go missing!

Thats a good reason there.... I'm so nervous to put out trail cams, treestands, blinds and such. So much bullcrap.

Thanks for the advice guys. Any of yall have pics of your natural blinds?

The more i look at treestands, God they look uncomfortable. I swear i have a disorder or something. Lol. I really have a problem with sitting still. My body just aches. If i get a treestand, it'll have to be comfy.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post
10' up is not high enough. You're just displaying yourself at that height. Aim for 20'. You'll regret making a home made stand from 2X4's. Buy a stand and you usually get a free harness (both for $100). A cheap harness mind you but it will still be useable and safe. Ground blinds are like houses of straw......a few inches of snow on the roof crushes them. That is just a caution, not something to steer you away from them. Blinds and stands are both good tools.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
10' up is not high enough. You're just displaying yourself at that height. Aim for 20'. You'll regret making a home made stand from 2X4's. Buy a stand and you usually get a free harness (both for $100). A cheap harness mind you but it will still be useable and safe. Ground blinds are like houses of straw......a few inches of snow on the roof crushes them. That is just a caution, not something to steer you away from them. Blinds and stands are both good tools.
Thanks man. I'm really hoping to get my hunting done next year before the snow falls.... will do some hard scouting and research.

Something i discovered this year..... i DON'T LIKE hunting in -20..... lol.

If i make a decent natural blind, i can probably make a roof for it. Keep out of rain and maybe get a heater if I'm forced to hunt into the winter.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:07 AM

If you're young, fit and flexible - use a tree stand while you can. If you wait until you're old, stiff and fat - you won't be able to, and will regret not experiencing that strategy.

BTW - same with mule deer hunting in the deep coulees or sheep hunting in the mountains - don't put it off - do it now!
Old 12-01-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
If you're young, fit and flexible - use a tree stand while you can. If you wait until you're old, stiff and fat - you won't be able to, and will regret not experiencing that strategy.

BTW - same with mule deer hunting in the deep coulees or sheep hunting in the mountains - don't put it off - do it now!

You're right. I for sure want to use a treestand. I'll be setup for both. For when the wind isn't right for one, I'll have another setup. Really depends on my locations i suppose as to which i use.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Lazyboy and rachetstraps. haha.