Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-16-2014, 08:40 PM

Default Possibly getting into archery

I am 15 years old and I have rifle hunted since I was 12. Since I am 15 I can't hunt alone and I think it would be awsome if I could go out by myself next season. I would really like to purchase a recurve and learn to shoot but I have some questions.

1) what kind of bow could I get on a minimal budget.( 40-50 lb draw weight)

2) what kind of other equipment would I need? ( I already have binoculars, outdoor clothes ect.) is a rangefinder a must?

3) how much time would I have to put in to get accurate with this kind of a bow?

Any other advice is great. Thanks
Old 11-16-2014, 10:22 PM

You can get a lot of different types of traditional bows, and not break the bank. Don't get to much draw weight, test shoot some bows to see just what you can handle then decide on how much weight to buy. 50 pounds is a lot for a young lad, but if you have a short draw length it may be ok, and you will grow into the full weight as you get bigger.
For around the $200 mark you can find Longbows and recurves in 1 and 3 piece.
You will need arrows to match the bow, a glove or tab, and some way to carry the arrows, a bow quiver or side quiver work best for hunting.
Take a look at my reviews for the Samick Sage, Bodnik / Bearpaw Hard Hunter, Bodnik / Bearpaw Sioux, Tombow, and Crow. These are all reasonably priced and shoot good.
With traditional you don't need a rangefinder. This is close up hunting.
my reviews are here www.peteward.com in the Trad review section.
The Sioux, and Tombow are normally in youth weights but they are available in draw weights up to 55#. What area do you live in so I can steer you to a traditional bow shop.
pete
Old 11-17-2014, 04:09 PM

Thank for all the advice! This really helps! I live in west Calgary by the way.
Thanks
Old 11-17-2014, 07:14 PM

visit Jim Bows in north east Calgary and they will help you with your bow selection and let you try some bows. If you want to try some trad bows send me a PM and I can let you shoot some of mine.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B. View Post
visit Jim Bows in north east Calgary and they will help you with your bow selection and let you try some bows. If you want to try some trad bows send me a PM and I can let you shoot some of mine.
Outstanding!!!!!
Old 11-27-2014, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinalberta View Post
I am 15 years old and I have rifle hunted since I was 12. Since I am 15 I can't hunt alone and I think it would be awsome if I could go out by myself next season. I would really like to purchase a recurve and learn to shoot but I have some questions.

1) what kind of bow could I get on a minimal budget.( 40-50 lb draw weight)

2) what kind of other equipment would I need? ( I already have binoculars, outdoor clothes ect.) is a rangefinder a must?

3) how much time would I have to put in to get accurate with this kind of a bow?

Any other advice is great. Thanks

The Native Canadians hunted with hand made bows and almost naked. My point being, don't get suckered into "all the gear" bs. Basic gear and great smarts of how to stalk will do better than all the best gear and no clue how to stalk every day.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:37 PM

Default Possibly getting into archery

Check out the Calgary Archery Centre on friday night, this is traditional night and there is usually a good group of trad folks that you can talk with. It is very informal.

My suggestion would be to rent a recurve and do some shooting to get the feel for traditional equipment, gives you an idea of how they shoot and can assist in making the decision on how much weight you can handle comfortably. Do not get a heavy bow to start, that can lead to injuries as well as bad shooting form.

Most of all have fun with trad bows, they are a blast to shoot...