Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-17-2014, 07:11 PM

Default Sheep River

Was out at the Sheep the other night around Okotoks. Visibility was actually pretty good. Fished a bunch of different pools for a while. Didn't see one fish rise all night. No action on nymphs either. Weird. Bows been fishing great. Caught a bunch of little rainbows on the Sheep a few years back, but after the flood, almost seems like things are wiped out yet again and need to grow back.

As always, watch where you access the river. Talked to a few land owners who are clamping down from party kids ruining their land, gates, etc.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:24 PM

I actually tried the Sheep for the first time ever on Sunday. Didn't see a single fish rise, I was beginning to think it was just me.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:37 PM

I fished sheep and its smaller triba last year after the flood, during late August and it fished great. Maybe it is still a little early in the season.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:32 AM

Well that's good to hear. I actually thought that might be it as well, a little early, even if clarity is ok. I was weirded out, cause I've been catching some nice fish on the Bow lately.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:59 AM

I've fished the sheep and the highwood a few times over the last 2 weeks and have very poor results compared to past years. not sure what to think....
Old 07-19-2014, 06:55 PM

sheep seemed poor last season too... saw a guy fishing the upper reaches of the sheep the other day, didn't see him hook up in the 25-30 minutes we were around.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:50 PM

I would not fish the sheep in the upper reach (anywhere above tiger jaw). And I found the best fishing are its tribs. I was on ware and three point creek last August and September and it really fished great. I was fishing one of the corner band of the ware and I got rising rainbows 6 cast in a roll. No bs
It is just a little early in the season in my oppinion
Old 07-20-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikediz View Post
I've fished the sheep and the highwood a few times over the last 2 weeks and have very poor results compared to past years. not sure what to think....
Where on the highwood did you go.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstream View Post
I would not fish the sheep in the upper reach (anywhere above tiger jaw). And I found the best fishing are its tribs. I was on ware and three point creek last August and September and it really fished great. I was fishing one of the corner band of the ware and I got rising rainbows 6 cast in a roll. No bs
It is just a little early in the season in my oppinion
Where is tiger jaw located I have never heard that name.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:17 AM

Tiger jaw is the falls at Indian oil if you are familiar with the upper sheep
Old 07-20-2014, 07:59 PM

I was fishing the highwood this morning and didn't have any luck. I didn't see any sign of fish at all. I was using a combination of nymphs and streamers. It was my first time on the highwood. Really wish I would have seen this thread before going, as I probably would have gone somewhere else. However I did manage to take some nice pics and explore a new river,so not an entirely bad experience.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:11 AM

I was on the highwood the other day and caught a few nice little ones. 1-2lbs
Old 07-22-2014, 02:37 PM

I've only fished the Sheep twice, both times were late in the season, at least August. Off Range Road 21 I think? The flow gets pretty low and it gets some nice holding pools. I didn't get there last year though. I'm curious about the stretches west of Turner Valley though. I see a campground on Google Maps, right on the river, does anyone know what campground that is? https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ca...6d3bb1b652b63a

Edit: Looks like it's called Blue Rock. The regs also say the Sheep is closed year-round upstream of Gorge Creek.

Last edited by jaydub99; 07-22-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:43 PM

Sheep is open for fishing upstream of Indian oil, the stretch that is closed is from gorge creek up stream to Indian oil. Tried gorge creek and did some bush whacking, got skunked... Probably would never go back. The trail is closed anyways. As for upstream of Indian oil, if you do caught a fish of any size, you are a lotto winner. Blue rock is not fishable anywhere alone the trail (that big loop of hiking trail). Stiff canyon, narrow and fast water. I crossed the river wen on a hike on junction creek, got nothing. As for sheep itself, I hiked about maybe 200 meters up from blue rock which is the end parking on sheep, got nothing. Well this was from last year. But I'd probably not going back to that area again.
Sheep around okotoks used to fish well in August. I might give it a try next week and see if my holes are still there.
I would say three point and its tribs fishes the best for the sheep basin in my past experience.
If you saw my post above, where I landed 6 rainbows in 6 cast in a roll, it was close to ware creek day use area. However you do need a 4 x 4 with some driving skills to get to the area. The road is very and rough, also last year flood made it worse.
I hope these of my personal experience would help some of you guy that are interested in fishing the sheep.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:12 AM

Fished a number of different spots on the Highwood Thursday and didnt get a thing.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:33 PM

I went out to the sheep two weeks ago and didn't have the fly Rods with us just casting rods. I had a bite and my buddie caught a smasher of a bullie. They are there......
Old 08-01-2014, 07:37 AM

I have had luck this year over the edge from that aboandoned caboose and by the Highwood house. Streamers and black gnat flies is all I use on the Sheep and Highwood.
In Okotoks park at the town library and walk upstream to the first set of rapids. I catch small whitefish on black gnats and there is the odd trout there. There is also a deep pool somewhere downstream of the libraray but upstream of Highway 2 with large browns in it. Best of luck guys.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:25 PM

Was at three point and ware area also fished near messa butte. Caught at least 30 fishes in one afternoon all on small dries. Fishes are small, at between 5" to 10" and one 12" to be the biggest.
Question is... They are all rainbows. I remember catching brookies and a few cutties last year in the same area. But they are not there this year. Only rainbows!
Old 08-01-2014, 11:44 PM

That's where the rainbows from the Bow go to spawn
Old 08-03-2014, 12:43 AM

out today on the sheep. about 9 fish. 1 bull, 1 whitefish, multiple rainbows and a cuttbow. size of the rainbows about 5-14". Almost exclusively found up against walls.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:07 AM

I've fished the sheep a couple of times and managed a couple small rainbows. Last year after the flood and this year so far my numbers are significantly lower than prior to the flood. I used to average around 10 an hour and since the flood it is closer to 1 an hour. I do think the majority of the fish were flushed down at least around Okotoks. Those are my observations anyway.