Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2019, 10:45 AM

Default Does anybody install/work with Corian countertops ?

I have a customer that is looking to get a new larger sink for her kitchen , but it will require having the opening in the Corian countertop cut a little bit larger.

The current sink is a composite ( ? ) under mount , and the new one is to be a stainless steel under mount .

Is there anybody on here that can help with either the project itself or know somebody that they can recommend.

If this was in my own house and I had the time ( and probably a larger router etc ) , I would probably consider doing it, but it's not, and I don't, so I'm looking for someone who can.

Thanks Kindly
Bob
Old 04-20-2019, 10:05 AM

I never have but online sources all note that it can be worked with carbide woodworking tools. If I were to try such a thing myself I would first practice on a scrap of the material if I could find some free from a renovation removal or such.

I’ve drilled numerous holes in granite and quartz counters for people adding faucets or other accessories (garburetor air-switch button, soap dispenser ) and I always make a template to ensure that the diamond hole saw cannot possibly get away from me and score the surface where I don’t intend, a simple chunk of plywood with a hole saw drilled the same size and clamped down with two Irwin pistol grip clamps does the trick there. For a sink I would make a plywood router template and go that route, but of course after practice similar to a sink cut-out first, even if it’s smaller scale but still a square or rectangle with some inside corners. I would also run one or two shop vacs to contain the dust as much as possible, one under the sink hole to draw everything down (have the doors closed on the hose and tape up the door gaps) and perhaps a helper manning another vac close to the router bit.

Barring that I’d just look for a well-established shop that’s been around town for a while and is a factory dealer.

The composite sinks I’ve seen lately have all been OK but I recall an early generation one something like 16 years back where the entire bottom of the sink cracked and detached from the rapid thermal expansion when the homeowner emptied his pot of hot pasta water into it. He called us to replace it with a stainless steel sink (it barely had coverage of the crappily cut hole in the counter and some fine tuned tweaking was necessary. Some silicone had to cover tiny slivers of gaps from the wandering perimeter of the cut out
as we had the largest sink available at the time to fit the hole).

Last edited by CaberTosser; 04-20-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:28 AM

yELLOW PAGES AS WE GOT COUNTERTOPS DONE IN EDMONTON WEST END AND THEY HAVE CORIAN AND CUT GRANITE AS WELL ANYONE CAN DO IT IN THE INDUSTRY FOR 100 BUCKS OR LESS
Old 04-20-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I never have but online sources all note that it can be worked with carbide woodworking tools. If I were to try such a thing myself I would first practice on a scrap of the material if I could find some free from a renovation removal or such.

I’ve drilled numerous holes in granite and quartz counters for people adding faucets or other accessories (garburetor air-switch button, soap dispenser ) and I always make a template to ensure that the diamond hole saw cannot possibly get away from me and score the surface where I don’t intend, a simple chunk of plywood with a hole saw drilled the same size and clamped down with two Irwin pistol grip clamps does the trick there. For a sink I would make a plywood router template and go that route, but of course after practice similar to a sink cut-out first, even if it’s smaller scale but still a square or rectangle with some inside corners. I would also run one or two shop vacs to contain the dust as much as possible, one under the sink hole to draw everything down (have the doors closed on the hose and tape up the door gaps) and perhaps a helper manning another vac close to the router bit.

Barring that I’d just look for a well-established shop that’s been around town for a while and is a factory dealer.

The composite sinks I’ve seen lately have all been OK but I recall an early generation one something like 16 years back where the entire bottom of the sink cracked and detached from the rapid thermal expansion when the homeowner emptied his pot of hot pasta water into it. He called us to replace it with a stainless steel sink (it barely had coverage of the crappily cut hole in the counter and some fine-tuned tweaking was necessary. Some silicone had to cover tiny slivers of gaps from the wandering perimeter of the cut out
as we had the largest sink available at the time to fit the hole).
I've talked to a few of the countertop groups, and pretty much get the same answer ... because of liability issues , they'll only do their own product.

I considered doing it myself, as you say, looking on the old interweb ... it appears pretty much doable, but the big concern, as with the big companies. is the " what if's "

I did get a referral from one of the members here , so ill be calling that on Mon or Tues .
Old 04-21-2019, 08:47 PM

cutting the hole larger is the easiest part. if it's an under mount sink the edges have to be properly sanded and a finish put on that matches the rest of the corian. some outfits might want to take it to their shop to finish.
if a drop in sink is used, cut and install new sink, easy.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:24 AM

i used to work in a shop 20 years ago and we did corian counter tops
we used routers for cutting and putting edge profiles on then sand with sand paper in various fine grits and then 2-3 different scotch bright pads and then polish with vim