Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2019, 08:45 AM

Default Any cast iron welders east of Edmonton??

Broke my lower control arm on my sXS and it’s cast...

Any one wanna give it a shot to weld it????

East of Edmonton best !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa_of_6 View Post

East of Edmonton best !

Is it Cast Iron or cast steel? I would be surprised if they used cast iron on a sxs. That said I personally would hesitate to weld a steering component on someone else's sxs. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and by the part.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Is it Cast Iron or cast steel? I would be surprised if they used cast iron on a sxs. That said I personally would hesitate to weld a steering component on someone else's sxs. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and by the part.
^This^^

I am a welder. There are certain things I just won't touch for liability issues, and personal peace of mind. Steering components being one of them. Add chassis frames, and tire rims to that list of what I won't touch, that come up quite a bit. Just buy a new part.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:26 AM

New part on the way... but not here til end of next week

Cows are calving... need the sxs!!!

Weld will work til I get the new part!!

Cast steel... that should be able to be welded with 7018????

Old 04-19-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
New part on the way... but not here til end of next week

Cows are calving... need the sxs!!!

Weld will work til I get the new part!!

Cast steel... that should be able to be welded with 7018????

Are you sure it's cast steel and not cast iron? I also doubt it would be cast iron, but you never know. Quick test would be to give it a little grind and see if the sparks are orange, or more red (you want orange). 7018 on cast steel will be okay as a temporary fix, but it's still a steering component. Often those type of things have alloys and heat treatments etc. etc.
As a farmer fix, with intententions of a new part, the common 7018 stick, or an ER70S-6 wire should be okay
Old 04-19-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Are you sure it's cast steel and not cast iron? I also doubt it would be cast iron, but you never know. Quick test would be to give it a little grind and see if the sparks are orange, or more red (you want orange). 7018 on cast steel will be okay as a temporary fix, but it's still a steering component. Often those type of things have alloys and heat treatments etc. etc.
As a farmer fix, with intententions of a new part, the common 7018 stick, or an ER70S-6 wire should be okay
I agree with previous posters but would also suggest that,

In addition to the grinder spark test (which can be difficult to evaluate accurately, particularly for the inexperienced),
an old school steel vs iron test is to try to cut the material with an OA torch. If O2 cuts (actually 'burns & oxidizes"), it is steel and MAY be weldable using suitable procedures, but if it just 'melts and blows' it is probably cast iron, (and MAY be weldable using suitable procedures).

A more modern problem is parts manufactured with newer methods like powdered metal, (powdered metal connecting rods have proved to be very serviceable, but I wouldn't try to weld them either). Forged steel may have other issues.

Note: 'Suitable procedures' often cost more than a new part.

Another factor to be considered is 'why did it break ?', and is there possibility of transmitted force caused damage to adjoining parts or structure?

Can the OP 'borrow' or rent a temporary replacement?
I suggest talking with the dealer when ordering the replacement part. They may have a demo unit they hope you will like well enough to buy.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:36 PM

Splint it with Hay wire and duct tape.

That’s a red green fix

BW
Old 04-19-2019, 03:56 PM

You didn't say how far East. There is one welder at 175 RR on Hiway 16, two welders in Vegreville, Kons welding and Buckys welding, two welders Mundare area Hilcor and Skinnys.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:

East of Edmonton best !

Did you try the guys east of Warspite on the south side of the highway?
Old 04-20-2019, 07:47 AM

Get some Nickle rod (ni-rod 99?) and preheat the parts real good.....it might hold.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:23 AM

for a week, I'd try silver solder or braising. However, I'd more recommend going to a rental place, and renting one for a few days. The sxs will be out of commission while you install the new part anyways.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
Get some Nickle rod (ni-rod 99?) and preheat the parts real good.....it might hold.
I've done cast iron repairs. We don't even know if it's actually cast iron so far. If you've ever had to buy a box of 99Ni (probably same price as the part), then put the labor into it, and then cross your fingers it holds, a new part is the way to go. Unless it's a very expensive piece, repairing cast is really not worth it, with questionable results, even from the best.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:54 AM

I would assume it’s cast aluminum. If it is in fact cast iron, stainless steel rod will work good to patch it up.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweld View Post
I would assume it’s cast aluminum. If it is in fact cast iron, stainless steel rod will work good to patch it up.

OP initially said cast iron. SS would not be the way to go if true. Then you need to find out what type of cast, white, grey etc. You would want a high nickle rod for cast iron. Sorry, but have to disagree with you on this advice. But what do I know....?
Old 04-20-2019, 10:42 AM

Yeah what do I know. It will work to patch it up

Old 04-20-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I've done cast iron repairs. We don't even know if it's actually cast iron so far. If you've ever had to buy a box of 99Ni (probably same price as the part), then put the labor into it, and then cross your fingers it holds, a new part is the way to go. Unless it's a very expensive piece, repairing cast is really not worth it, with questionable results, even from the best.
^^this^^
I have done more than my share of Cast iron welding and yes the rod is expensive and the process is long drawn out affair if you are going to do it right with pre heat post heat slow cool etc and yes there is no guarantee it will not fail after all that.
There are two ways to do a repair weld the right way and the why waste your time way. Just save yourself some cash frustration and wait for the new part .
Old 04-20-2019, 02:05 PM

If it's cast steel just make sure you preheat and it'll weld.

Nothing that special about it.

Cast aluminum or iron don't know it would be worth trying.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:44 PM

I'm a professional... Sometimes... I tend to take things to heart and get upset when it comes to welding. Seems like a lot of welding threads lately though! Getting me going....My career revolves around it. I've done it all. Do what you need to do to keep going, fix the damn thing.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:42 AM

Trapline partner welded his tractor block few months back, he lives near elk Island park, very handy guy, welded up large ocean going fishing aluminum boat with Cummins diesel engine.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I'm a professional... Sometimes... I tend to take things to heart and get upset when it comes to welding. Seems like a lot of welding threads lately though! Getting me going....My career revolves around it. I've done it all. Do what you need to do to keep going, fix the damn thing.
I'm not a professional welder but I have been welding for over 35 years and everything bloopbloob here has said is correct in my opinion.
It's impossible for anyone to give decent advice without even knowing for sure what it's made of. I won't weld on anything that's a part of the steering system. The risk isn't worth it.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
I'm not a professional welder but I have been welding for over 35 years and everything bloopbloob here has said is correct in my opinion.
It's impossible for anyone to give decent advice without even knowing for sure what it's made of. I won't weld on anything that's a part of the steering system. The risk isn't worth it.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Appreciated. I think I know a bit, about a few things.... nice to not have to always argue those things, and have someone agree for once....
Old 04-22-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
You’re correct. Except the o p isn’t looking for decent advice. He’s asking if there’s a welder in his general area that would like to try help him get out of a bind while he waits for replacement part to come in. Im sure he knows of a local welding shop, but he doesn’t want to pay a 4 hour min charge or something similar.

I’m looking at the control arm on my quad right now in the shop, steel pipe welded to a casting. His is probably the same. Welded once, why not weld it again. I doubt he’s bombing across the pasture at 60 mph with a baby calf in the box. He’s just looking for a bandaid solution.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch donkey View Post
You’re correct. Except the o p isn’t looking for decent advice. He’s asking if there’s a welder in his general area that would like to try help him get out of a bind while he waits for replacement part to come in. Im sure he knows of a local welding shop, but he doesn’t want to pay a 4 hour min charge or something similar.

I’m looking at the control arm on my quad right now in the shop, steel pipe welded to a casting. His is probably the same. Welded once, why not weld it again. I doubt he’s bombing across the pasture at 60 mph with a baby calf in the box. He’s just looking for a bandaid solution.
I get that he's looking for a bandaid. But what happens if that bandaid gets ripped off, SxS flips and you're the guy who made that bandaid? I take on great responsibility, and personal liability, with a lot of things I do. Currently have 52 apprentices under my name. I am liable for them all. I don't cut corners.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:20 AM

Then I’d like to think they’d realize they were driving too fast.

What if someone drives it at an appropriate speed, knowing it’s a temporary fix, and it breaks? They walk to the yard, and drag it back with the tractor. Anything can fail if it’s abused.

What if everything turns out fine?

I told him to call me and I’d weld it up, but I think his farming got in the way.