Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-16-2019, 08:57 PM

Default NSR depth chart

Looking for any information on depth charts for the NSR in and around Edmonton. Say Devon to the Fort.
Does such a thing exist?
Old 04-16-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstriddle View Post
Looking for any information on depth charts for the NSR in and around Edmonton. Say Devon to the Fort.
Does such a thing exist?
You can get the Alberta Rivers App which will give you a flow rate. The NSR fluctuates based on the flow rate out of the Bighorn dam. It’s amazing how fast the dam can change the flow rate through the Edmonton region.

BW
Old 04-17-2019, 10:09 AM

The river changes every year and depths changes in places.
Paddle Alberta online has a map of this reach you can order and has what to expect.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-17-2019, 10:18 AM

No such item...
Old 04-17-2019, 11:25 AM

Default River Queen

I have never found a depth map but I have always meant to stop and ask the captain of the River Queen (or whatever that boat is called) if he/she would have one I could take pics of. I imagine that boat has at least the central Edmonton portion.
kidd
Old 04-17-2019, 11:49 AM

NS is not considered navigable water so no regular depth maps are kept or updated. The new Edmonton Beach formed in one year from a construction weir changing flow. This type of thing changes often in the NSR. Only way to boat the NSR is to learn to read the water properly and even if you are real good at it, running a prop drive boat is likely to cost you a few props, especially while you are learning.

Canoe, Kayak or Jet drive of some type are the only real options. Even with a Jet drive, it is easy to end up beached on a sand bar if you are not paying full attention.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:02 PM

The NSR is constantly changing, thankfully not very fast with the exception of water levels. I regularly run an outboard between the Yellowhead and high level bridge, but pending on the time of day, and the level, I got to be on my game. There are times when you can run without a problem, then have to watch three hours later. As mentioned the government has the app called AB rivers. It is a great resource, and shows measurements every five minutes I think it is. The river almost always rises in the evening, and lately peaking at about 2am.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:54 PM

Shes skinny !!!!!