Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-19-2019, 07:20 AM

Had my apa the last 7 years. No issues. Gets one or two critters every year.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:30 AM

I have a King cobra in 80 lbs max draw. I am a 32 inch draw and enjoy the fact that they do come a little longer than advertised. I m shooting a 600 grain arrow set up at 300 FPS. The bow can be tricky to tune but once you have it, the bow is quite accurate. The added features is where this bow shines. The handle , hanger fang are extremely useful when hunting. The cam lock can be a life saver if you have a blow out in a remote area. That being said, you better know how to string a bow and tune before you attempt a field string swap. Overall great bow, Canadian product, might not be the ideal choice for the novice archer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2019, 08:39 AM

When you look at Bowtechs new bows there is NO comparison.

APA is still using dual-cam technology that every bow company had in the 1990s?

Flip disc technology which gives you 2 bows in one with Performance and Comfort modes.

Microtune disc which allows you to lengthen or shorten cables and adjust cam timing without pressing the bow.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 mag View Post
When you look at Bowtechs new bows there is NO comparison.

APA is still using dual-cam technology that every bow company had in the 1990s?

Flip disc technology which gives you 2 bows in one with Performance and Comfort modes.

Microtune disc which allows you to lengthen or shorten cables and adjust cam timing without pressing the bow.
The basis of the APA Cam technology is actually OEM’d from Bowtech, similar to the older Black Knight cams long before they came out with the Binary Overdrive cam.

LC
Old 04-19-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The basis of the APA Cam technology is actually OEM’d from Bowtech, similar to the older Black Knight cams long before they came out with the Binary Overdrive cam.

LC
This is 100 percent not true apa manufactures all cams in house based on their own design. As for dual cams being old technology that is also a misconception there is not a cam that will give you more performance or accuracy than a dual cam. In recent years Matthew's has even reverted to this technology the biggest problem with the dual cam 20 years ago was string technology that is no longer an issue your binary or cam and a half can be out of time but being slaved together can hide alot doesn't mean ur bow is in tune at least a dual cam will show you
Old 04-19-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:

LC
Pretty sure from when Kevin Strothers worked for Bowtech he has patent on 2 track dual can with stops.

I think Binary OD cams have license from Darton.

Darton( Rex Darlington) probably holds more patents on bow and can designs than any other.

Pretty much binary and Cam 1.5 were based off his designs?
Old 04-19-2019, 12:38 PM

I have an APA Viper Nano. I went in last year to buy a Mamba 32, I wanted the speed and the dual cams. Was prepared to buy it until I tested out a Bowtech Realm. Long story short, I left APA and bought the Realm.

The reasons I liked the APA were all the features. The handle, the fang and the cam lock are no joke, they are awesome features. I used them a lot. But the Bowtech was so much smoother. The APA was incredibly “jumpy” compared to the bowtech. On the wall and carrying around, the APA was the winner. When it came to actually shooting, the Bowtech was better in all regards.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopithorne View Post
This is 100 percent not true apa manufactures all cams in house based on their own design. As for dual cams being old technology that is also a misconception there is not a cam that will give you more performance or accuracy than a dual cam. In recent years Matthew's has even reverted to this technology the biggest problem with the dual cam 20 years ago was string technology that is no longer an issue your binary or cam and a half can be out of time but being slaved together can hide alot doesn't mean ur bow is in tune at least a dual cam will show you
The original design...was Bowtech OEM design, they put their spin on it but that’s where it came from originally period .

LC
Old 04-20-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
The original design...was Bowtech OEM design, they put their spin on it but that’s where it came from originally period .

LC
That's like saying anyone who ever produced a single cam OEMd it from Matthew's / Bear
Old 04-20-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
That's like saying anyone who ever produced a single cam OEMd it from Matthew's / Bear
McPherson invented the weighted single cam and sold the license to Bear.

Many companies borrow/license or sometimes infringe/steal other companies tech.

The point I am trying to make is APA hasn't really brought anything NEW to the table .

Right now the Binary OD Cam is the one of the most advanced designs on the market.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Nope ask Nibal himself which company assisted them when they first started out.

LC
Old 04-20-2019, 07:08 PM

Bowtech has another industry first gamechanger on the new Reckoning bow. 35 " ATA and 7" b.h. @335 fps.

The new OD binary cam boasts tuning without use of bowpress...Dead Lock Cam drive.

https://bowtecharchery.com/bows/reckoning/

There is a setscrew inside the cam axle that is locked in place by Allen key.

Loosen the lock and easily adjust cam from left/right for micro-adjusting cam alignment without bow press.

https://youtu.be/tgp0nn6f4D0
Old 04-21-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Nope ask Nibal himself which company assisted them when they first started out.

LC
I'm well aware of the companies history but when you make comments like that it shows how little you truly know about Apa for those who say there haven't been changes or new technology haven't looked very closely at them at all they were the first company to put a limb stop on a true dual cam they make the fastest bow in the world they make it easy to work on your own bow without the need of a press they give you a carry handle a hook to hang it and all these other features . It always has amazed me that a homegrown Canadian company like this can seem to get so much resistance for just being Canadian guys with little product knowledge seem so quick to try and discredit anything that company does it seems to me they are very progressive in alot of aspects
Old 04-21-2019, 10:04 AM

You mistake my comments... I have had 2-3 tours of the facility Nibal
is a great guy I know a ton of their prostaff shooters. APA is a good company. It doesn’t change the fact that when they started out...they had to start from somewhere and they had to start with a bit of help of a few ideas that already existed...how is that a bad thing? The archery industry has a ton of collaboration amongst companies it’s a small world and you can only do so much with the technology available currently without stepping on toes.

LC
Old 04-21-2019, 11:50 AM

I wish APA nothing but the best and they do make a good product.

When I tried a Mamba MX2 many years ago .

I forget the numbers but it didn't make IBO #s and the draw came in 3/4-1" long.

It was an accurate bow and the the draw stop worked.

It wasn't a horrible bow just an average bow.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:33 PM

I would like to see a showdown between Lawless and King Cobra.

Both set at 30"...measured on a Draw board.....70 lbs and 350 gr arrow.

I would bet both would fall short of 370 by about 20 fps or more.

In this video ...

70 lbs @30" &350 gr arrow = 346 fps?? For King Cobra

https://youtu.be/mXIHnGVgh64

So they claim 106.4 K.E on website @ 70lb? That equates to 370 fps....

But in actual speed test it's 346?

Last edited by 350 mag; 04-22-2019 at 04:52 PM.