Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-26-2019, 03:37 PM

Default Winifred Lake Camping!

I was interested in fishing Winifred Lake come this summer but wanted to camp with my truckbox camper and pull my own boat up to save on costs. I was woundering if there are any campgrounds to stay at when up at the lake as the lodge is a little pricey for me.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:07 PM

There is a camping area past the lodge. Road has been almost impassable the last few years. Have a good winch or you’re toast. At this point, I would never consider trying to take my 18’ Lund down this road.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:16 PM

The water levels are way down as well. The “launch” is unusable at that campground.
I had a close look at it last year and you could only load and unload a boat you carry. Even that would be hard as it’s a 2 Ft cliff from the area to the beach.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
There is a camping area past the lodge. Road has been almost impassable the last few years. Have a good winch or you’re toast. At this point, I would never consider trying to take my 18’ Lund down this road.
What about launching at the lodge and beaching at the camp site?

Or keep it simple and stay at the lodge! LOLOL
I wonder what the bugs would be like back there? I found them bad at the lodge towards the end of June.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:00 PM

Isn’t there some trapper(Paul?) that you can camp and launch at?
Old 01-26-2019, 08:44 PM

Well don't have a winch so the campground sounds like it might be a no go for me as I drive a GMC 3500 crewcab 4x4 with a 8' box and the truck camper is a 10', plus pulling my 17.6' starcraft renegade might be dicey too. Any places to stay anywhere around the lake besides the lodge that I might actually be able to get into?
Old 01-26-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsonfisherman View Post
Well don't have a winch so the campground sounds like it might be a no go for me as I drive a GMC 3500 crewcab 4x4 with a 8' box and the truck camper is a 10', plus pulling my 17.6' starcraft renegade might be dicey too. Any places to stay anywhere around the lake besides the lodge that I might actually be able to get into?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2019, 10:53 PM

[QUOTE=edsonfisherman;3919863]I was interested in fishing Winifred Lake come this summer but wanted to camp with my truckbox camper and pull my own boat up to save on costs. I was woundering if there are any campgrounds to stay at when up at the lake as the lodge is a little pricey for me.[/You can camp just outside winefred lake outfitters it’s all crown land on the drive in and there is areas open just outside his gates. It is a $50 a day launch fee there but the boat launch was good all last summer. You may be able to work something out with them to leave the boat docked for cheaper. He also maintains his road on the way in it wasn’t to bad at all when we were there last.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsonfisherman View Post
I was interested in fishing Winifred Lake come this summer but wanted to camp with my truckbox camper and pull my own boat up to save on costs. I was woundering if there are any campgrounds to stay at when up at the lake as the lodge is a little pricey for me.

That didn’t work right. You can camp just outside winefred lake outfitters it’s all crown land on the drive in and there is areas open just outside his gates. It is a $50 a day launch fee there but the boat launch was good all last summer. You may be able to work something out with them to leave the boat docked for cheaper. He also maintains his road on the way in it wasn’t to bad at all when we were there last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Old 01-27-2019, 11:04 AM

ok good to know never been there before and wanted my buddy to have a good time before the cancer finally takes him, but don't have a lot of money.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:01 AM

I wouldn't bank on being able to use the launch at Winifred Lodge. We were up there about 5 years back and they wouldn't allow us to launch until I offered $100 to them. They claimed to not have any available parking, but there was clearly enough space all over. I second that the road to the public launch is nearly impassable at points throughout the summer.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangledangler View Post
I wouldn't bank on being able to use the launch at Winifred Lodge. We were up there about 5 years back and they wouldn't allow us to launch until I offered $100 to them. They claimed to not have any available parking, but there was clearly enough space all over. I second that the road to the public launch is nearly impassable at points throughout the summer.
Launch fee at the lodge and at Paul’s has been $40-50 for the last few years. I would however recommend calling ahead to confirm. Just driving up with blind faith that a business would allow you to use their equipment for free and compete with their paying customers seems silly.

Seriously, why would you think they’d let you use their private launch for free? I wouldn’t if I was them either.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Launch fee at the lodge and at Paul’s has been $40-50 for the last few years. I would however recommend calling ahead to confirm. Just driving up with blind faith that a business would allow you to use their equipment for free and compete with their paying customers seems silly.

Seriously, why would you think they’d let you use their private launch for free? I wouldn’t if I was them either.
I’m surprised they let anyone at all use the launch. Kinda takes away from the wilderness experience for the costumers to have every Tom dick and Harry around the lodge area.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I’m surprised they let anyone at all use the launch. Kinda takes away from the wilderness experience for the costumers to have every Tom dick and Harry around the lodge area.
Both are pretty much booked solid a year in advance. Why not take the extra $50 in cash?
Old 02-01-2019, 02:33 PM

Maybe go to Calling or Slave, good launches, stay in a nice stall, enjoy lots of fish on experiences too.

I got some extra golf games and fishing in with a good friend before cancer got him. Good on ya for trying to make some more memories. Good luck to your friend.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Both are pretty much booked solid a year in advance. Why not take the extra $50 in cash?
To keep people away from the lodge. For they’re customers experience.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:

We didn't just drive up with blind faith, we meant to use the public launch and didn't realize how rough the road in would be, but after driving for 6 hours to go fishing decided to give the lodge a try. Why advertise having a launch and a fee to use it if they don't intend to allow it?
Old 02-01-2019, 03:28 PM

Isn’t Paul’s land and property on a registered trapline? If so can you even charge people to cross over it to the lake?

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 02-01-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
To keep people away from the lodge. For they’re customers experience.
Must not be hurting the customers experience if they’re booked as solid as they are.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunterPro View Post
Isn’t Paul’s land and property on a registered trapline? If so can you even charge people to cross over it to the lake?
Good luck.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Must not be hurting the customers experience if they’re booked as solid as they are.
Ya well it’s not as enjoyable if your staying at the lodge. Would be nice to be able to leave tackle and rods in your boat and not have to worry about it being stolen from passer by’s. wouldn’t it?
Old 02-01-2019, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ya well it’s not as enjoyable if your staying at the lodge. Would be nice to be able to leave tackle and rods in your boat and not have to worry about it being stolen from passer by’s. wouldn’t it?
Some good points...
Old 02-01-2019, 05:24 PM

From the sounds of it sask is a better option and you can fry some walleye. My grandpa has stories of flying in on skis and fishing the last week of March. Camping on the island in the 60s or 70s. Fishing sounded incredible.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:43 PM

I'm the Commander of Winefred!
Old 04-11-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Isn’t there some trapper(Paul?) that you can camp and launch at?
Not that I know for sure but I was speaking with a man two days ago that said his son contacted Paul and was told that he was no longer going to offer that service in the summer. He said now that there is zero retention for the lake he believe he would not have enough customers to make it worth while.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:21 PM

Like really who’s going to go through all the hassle and spend tons of money to go up there and you can’t even have a shore lunch ? Better off booking an affordable fly in somewhere
Old 04-12-2019, 12:21 PM

Honestly Edson.. I would also recommend Calling Lake. Much closer for ya. The campsite and boat launch are quite good. The fishing is second to none if you go in June or early July. You can actually keep and eat a fish as well. If you have the luxury of going during the week you may be better off as it can get pretty crazy on weekends. There is potential for some nasty algae later on in the summer so earlier is definitely better.
I could write a short novel on the adventures and misadventures of our trips to Winifred. Like many have said it can be challenging. A lot has changed since the days we used to go up there.
Cold lake area is worth investigating as well. Pinehurst and Wolf are really nice.
Cold lake can be lot of fun.
Cheers
Old 04-16-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru fisher View Post
Like really who’s going to go through all the hassle and spend tons of money to go up there and you can’t even have a shore lunch ? Better off booking an affordable fly in somewhere
Exactly there's places where you can drive right to the lodge in Northern Saskatchewan Northern Manitoba and you can do a short lunch everyday

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
X2 i drive 6 hours then hop a float plane for an hour, spend 7 days up north, place to ourselves, all the.fish you can eat and plenty to take home for $1800.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I do get where your coming from but there are a lot of guys out there who just enjoy catching fish. I like eating fish as much as anyone, I really do, but I enjoy catching them even more. Winnifred is a great Lake and there are some big fish there to hook into. Don’t blame the OP for wanting to head in there to give it a try, regardless of the catch limits.