Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-06-2013, 09:05 AM

Default Traveling with fishing gear to Cuba

Just heard direct from security that fishing hooks are ok. Darn I could of carried my flies with me. Rods, reels are also ok.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-06-2013, 09:23 AM

Are you talking as a carry on? Of course you can take it as part of your luggage, I am surprised they would allow fishing hooks in a carry on though.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavCanoe View Post
Are you talking as a carry on? Of course you can take it as part of your luggage, I am surprised they would allow fishing hooks in a carry on though.
Rules changed 6 months ago. Carry on rods, reels and flies is ok now. My flies are in my checked bag but the security folks said no problem bringing them next time as carry on.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-06-2013, 05:21 PM

Got the same answer as well from security,,, however expect to be given some grief if you do cuz it seems to take a couple years to get most agents up to snuff on thier own rules (at least,, that was my experience with carry on reels).
Old 04-06-2013, 05:27 PM

I don't even get why you would want to take fish hooks as a carry on... Just put them in your luggage...
Old 04-06-2013, 05:28 PM

Too true. It would be interesting to know how many guys here got ticketed for barbed hooks, after the law was changed, just because the guys in the field didn't know.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:30 PM

Well,,, if you are on a fishing trip and your luggage doesn't arrive,,,, let's put this way,... I can catch a fish in dirty underwear, but I can't catch them without a hook!!!
Old 04-06-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Well,,, if you are on a fishing trip and your luggage doesn't arrive,,,, let's put this way,... I can catch a fish in dirty underwear, but I can't catch them without a hook!!!
If you can't afford a hook I don't get why you are travelling for a vacation in the first place... Also losing ones luggage isn't all that common...
Old 04-06-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
If you can't afford a hook I don't get why you are travelling for a vacation in the first place... Also losing ones luggage isn't all that common...
Well when you fork out the $$ and take the time off for a fishing trip, the last thing i would want to be doing is spending my time shoping instead of fishing. Not to mention trying to find that favorite flie/lure somewhere you've never been to before.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Obviously you have never been to Cuba. I fished there a few years back for two weeks in a well known fishing area. I never saw one fly or lure for sale anywhere on Cayo Coco and the ones the guides had, had more rust on them than hackle.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:47 PM

How often do you guys believe you lose your luggage when flying? I don't fly a lot but a decent amount and am still yet to lose my luggage. I can't fathom how one would be so paranoid they would worry about taking fish hooks in a carry on... Just throw them in your luggage and avoid any hassle, your chances are likely higher of having your hooks refused access onto the plane then your luggage being lost.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:16 AM

Quote:
How often do you guys believe you lose your luggage when flying? I don't fly a lot but a decent amount and am still yet to lose my luggage. I can't fathom how one would be so paranoid they would worry about taking fish hooks in a carry on... Just throw them in your luggage and avoid any hassle, your chances are likely higher of having your hooks refused access onto the plane then your luggage being lost.
I've flown about 10 times over the past several years for fishing trips, and I've had two of them where luggage didn't show up when I did. Both of these were with Air Canada on routes that involved smaller planes (less luggage capacity). They both showed up a day or two later, but it was an inconvenience.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
I don't even get why you would want to take fish hooks as a carry on... Just put them in your luggage...
Not all of us travel with anything more than carryon.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
I wish that I'd known this in Feb. Went and chartered a day trip and , yeah, more rust on the 3 hooks that they had than on all the old cars they have.
Bring your own weights as well. They had one 2 oz weight that they would rotate through the lines. Only fish we caught was on solid stainless wire that we hand wound on a plank.
I would definitely bring ALL of my own tackle next time. We're allowed quite a bit as free luggage.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Obviously you have never been to Cuba. I fished there a few years back for two weeks in a well known fishing area. I never saw one fly or lure for sale anywhere on Cayo Coco and the ones the guides had, had more rust on them than hackle.
Sorry, quoted wrong post.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
I've flown about 10 times over the past several years for fishing trips, and I've had two of them where luggage didn't show up when I did. Both of these were with Air Canada on routes that involved smaller planes (less luggage capacity). They both showed up a day or two later, but it was an inconvenience.
I have flown a good 50 times commercially, always with luggage and never lost it once. 2 in 10 is pretty unlucky.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Best fishing to me is Saltwater flyfishing. Hooks or rods and reels are very difficult to obtain in some of the best waters on the earth.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
I have flown a good 50 times commercially, always with luggage and never lost it once. 2 in 10 is pretty unlucky.

Did you ever need to transfer to a different airplane or are you talking about flying to toronto direct etc? You are very lucky so far.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Did you ever need to transfer to a different airplane or are you talking about flying to toronto direct etc? You are very lucky so far.
Probably 30/20 direct/transfer including long multi transfer trips to and from Mexico, St Lucia, San Diego, Phoenix, Bangkok and some 1 transfer trips. I fly cheap so usually end up with multiple transfers on any long distance flights.

I find that you can help your chances just based on the flights you book, if you book flights that you have short transfer times or transfer between airlines then you have a much greater chance of it happening.

Another thing that seems common is that if you miss your flight they don't always remember to retag your bags for your new flights(almost happened on my latest trip but another person reminded employee to do it). If you notice this make sure you mention it as I believe this is a big part of why people lose their luggage especially since so much of the baggage system is automated these days.

The average chance of losing your luggage is actually less then 1% around 1 in 150(in the US don't see a stat for Canada) so it sounds like some people here are just quite unlucky.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:35 AM

I fly a substantial amount - mostly international. Having your luggage arrive late (or lost) is extremely rare.

In the last ten to fifteen years ..... twice I've had issues ???? both cases the connection times were short and included a change from one carrier to another.

I estimate I took more than 300 trips in this period.....
Old 04-07-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Probably 30/20 direct/transfer including long multi transfer trips to and from Mexico, St Lucia, San Diego, Phoenix, Bangkok and some 1 transfer trips. I fly cheap so usually end up with multiple transfers on any long distance flights.

I find that you can help your chances just based on the flights you book, if you book flights that you have short transfer times or transfer between airlines then you have a much greater chance of it happening.

Another thing that seems common is that if you miss your flight they don't always remember to retag your bags for your new flights(almost happened on my latest trip but another person reminded employee to do it). If you notice this make sure you mention it as I believe this is a big part of why people lose their luggage especially since so much of the baggage system is automated these days.

The average chance of losing your luggage is actually less then 1% around 1 in 150(in the US don't see a stat for Canada) so it sounds like some people here are just quite unlucky.

Great idea for the retag ! 1/150 flights is totally acceptable but if i was guessing i would have thought close to 1/15. Another part of this travelling with gear thing is theft from checked bags. I have seen that too! I will never check my gear. I keep everything that is electronic, financial and all fishing gear with me, and have for a long time. Keep a print out of the regs from TSA on your person too because the security guys don't read every update etc.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:57 AM

If the TSA is concerned about using a fish hook as a weapon maybe they should consider the cutlery in first class which is still used by the way.

My fork, butter knife are probably more of an issue ......

maybe a terrorist won't think to upgrade his ticket ........lol
Old 04-07-2013, 10:11 AM

I still remember back in high school when I had to throw out my compass set because they wouldn't let me take it through security. Some things like that are totally overblown imo.

The allowing pocket knives etc now is imo stupid especially considering the specifics(can't have molded grip, fixed blade, wide blade, locking blade). All it does is further bottle neck already slow security procedures.

As far as fish hooks go, they are relatively safe, lots of easier ways to hurt a person if that is your aim. But imo the same applies as with knives, all it does is waste securities time in having to determine if a hook should be allowed. Where do you cut the line? Are 2 inch shark hooks allowed? Just put them in your luggage, don't worry about them being confiscated and get through security hassle free.

Not to mention that some airlines etc might have different rules etc. United for example had a second security check on my flight back from Bangkok and I wasn't allowed to take my orange juice that I had just purchased at a vendor even though I have always been allowed to take drinks on as long as they are purchased after security.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:32 AM

As far as fish hooks go, they are relatively safe, lots of easier ways to hurt a person if that is your aim. But imo the same applies as with knives, all it does is waste securities time in having to determine if a hook should be allowed. Where do you cut the line? Are 2 inch shark hooks allowed? Just put them in your luggage, don't worry about them being confiscated and get through security hassle free.

I believe hooks up to 2.5 inches are allowed. Maybe I 'm wrong and it's 2.5 cm but in any event there is a specific upper limit for size.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post

I believe hooks up to 2.5 inches are allowed. Maybe I 'm wrong and it's 2.5 cm but in any event there is a specific upper limit for size.
So when someone walks through security and the person who knows nothing about fishing looks at the screen and sees what looks like a large pointed metal hook in the bag what do you think they are going to do?

Like I say, all it does is further bottle neck security.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:13 PM

Between my wife and I, we probably average 8 -10 round trips per year for "pleasure" We have had "late luggage" twice in the past two years, my wife's bag never did get to Cuba before she had to come home and the other time our bags didn't get home from Florida until a couple days later. Fortunately I was done the fishing trip at that point and didn't need the fishing gear that was in the bag.

I have a good friend who flies in every year from Alaska to do some goose hunting. Twice in the last 21 years, his shotguns didn't arrive with him,,, most recently being about 3-4 years ago.

Actually a bigger issue for us have been flight delays and cancellations. I have lost several days of fishing and had to deal with some horrendous travel logistics along with significant extra expenses when connecting flights are missed. This seems to happen at least couple times every year for us. A big part of that is much of that travel occurs in the winter months with connections through places like Minneapolis, Toronto or Denver which are prone to heavy snowfalls.

Last edited by Pikebreath; 04-07-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:18 PM

I just got back from a trip where I "carried on" 5/0 hooks. No questions, no problems.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:23 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Maybe carry on just in case your luggage goes missing? Proactive NOT reactive. Spend all this time just to be a victim of lost luggage, IF it ever happens at least you got the essentials with you...
Old 04-07-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
So when someone walks through security and the person who knows nothing about fishing looks at the screen and sees what looks like a large pointed metal hook in the bag what do you think they are going to do?

Like I say, all it does is further bottle neck security.

If they look on at a screen and only see one large pointed metal hook they will think they have someone at the least really challenged mentally.

If they look in my Rod case
They will see all the reels, rods, cameras and plenty of hooks and think, this guys going to go fishing. Lucky bugger!

I don't bottleneck any security, they smile and wish me a great trip.
Sundance didn't imply he bottlenecked security.