Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-17-2019, 09:43 AM

Default Chumming for Halibut in BC tidal waters

Is chumming for Halibut in BC tidal waters legal, I cant for clear answer in the regulations guide
Thanks for any feedback
Old 04-17-2019, 11:02 AM

Prohibited (in freshwater, looking for salt)

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/reg...ions_page9.pdf

Chumming… attempting to attract fish by
depositing any substance in the water, is
prohibited

I have a call in to DFO, they are going to email back the act and all info.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 04-17-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Prohibited (in freshwater, looking for salt)

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/reg...ions_page9.pdf

Chumming… attempting to attract fish by
depositing any substance in the water, is
prohibited
Thanks for the reply, Does this provincial regulations apply to saltwater too?
Old 04-17-2019, 11:18 AM

these are apparently the rules for tidal waters. If and when they answer I will update.

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/...nlawfulactions
It is illegal to:
fish for salmon, other finfish or shellfish without a valid licence
catch and keep salmon without a valid Salmon Conservation Stamp attached to your licence
possess more than your daily limit or possession limit except for what is at your ordinary residence
wilfully foul hook or attempt to foul hook any fish except herring, mackerel, northern anchovy, Pacific sand lance, Pacific sardine and squid
fish for salmon, cutthroat trout or steelhead with a barbed hook, including within the tidal portions of any stream (such as the Fraser River and Skeena River)
angle with a fishing line that has more than one hook, artificial lure or artificial fly attached except:
in the tidal waters of the Fraser River, where you can attach two hooks, artificial lures or artificial flies to a bar rig
in tidal waters, where you can attach any number of hooks to a fishing line if using the hooks in combination to hold a single piece of bait
in tidal waters, where you can attach any number of hooks to a fishing line if fishing for herring, mackerel, northern anchovy, Pacific sand lance, Pacific sardine or squid
use spears to fish for salmon, trout, char, sturgeon, octopus or shellfish other than shrimp
use gaff hooks in angling except as an aid to landing a fish
use explosives or chemicals to molest, injure or kill fish
use snares to catch or attempt to catch any fish, including crab
use torches or artificial lights while sport fishing except when they are submerged and attached to a fishing line, within 1 m of the fishing hook
fish with a fixed weight (sinker) greater than 1 kg except on a downrigger line, in which case the fishing line must be attached to the downrigger by a release clip
leave a fishing line unattended in the water
angle in a Rockfish Conservation Area (RCA)
kill, harm, harass, capture or take a species listed as extirpated, endangered or threatened under the Species at Risk Act
fail to release with the least amount of harm any fish caught that you may not legally retain; when releasing a fish, you must immediately return it to the water you caught it from
release live fish into any fish habitat except for fish that you immediately return to the water you caught it from
trap or pen fish on their spawning ground, or in rivers or streams that lead to spawning grounds
buy, sell or barter or attempt to buy, sell or barter any fish caught by sport fishing
possess any sport caught fish that is not correctly packaged as described in Packaging and Transporting Your Catch for salmon, finfish, shellfish, or crab
field can any fish outside of a person's ordinary residence, other than at a registered licensed facility
Penalties for contravention of the British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations include voluntary ticket payments up to $1,000 and possible seizure and forfeiture of fishing gear and catch, or court-imposed fines up to $100,000 on first offence and possible court-imposed forfeiture of fishing gear, catch, vessel or other equipment used in the commission of an offence. Licences may also be suspended or cancelled.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 04-17-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the feedback, I also found this discussion on the web

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...allowed.67015/
Old 04-17-2019, 12:53 PM
Banned

Unless rules have changed, it's 100% legal.

This was taken all the way up the chain of command and to the surprise of many, it was found to be legal.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:22 PM

One thing to note when if you are allowed to chum for halibut, is that if you are fishing in deep water (400+feet), who knows where your chum is actually going to be when it hits bottom with currents, waves, fishing in the upper column picking it off etc. It also is going to take a LONG time to get down that far.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:40 PM

A guide I used long ago would filet some fish, put the scraps in bucket with holes and a lid and attach it 10 or 15 feet up the anchor line. Drop anchor and go hali fishing. And he had some good hali spots in 80 to 120ft of water. No point in hauling up a coffee table 400ft just to let her go.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:35 AM

After DFO asking for my name, address, phone #, email, no reply back. hmmmm

Old 04-18-2019, 05:24 PM

This is from DFO Prince George Anthony Knevel (no relation)

mailto:Anthonie.Knevel@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Gooday Ken

Re your questions about chumming for and bait used for coastal halibut fishing.

I have looked through the legislation and regs

Chumming in tidal waters is not prohibited ( ie in the ocean), but is prohibited in non tidal waters, inland waters.

You can use any parts of fish as bait for halibut tidal water fishing. Just ensure you are not using whole fish, as it could be considered wastage of fish under regs.

Hope this clears up your questions

Have a great long weekend

Cheers
Ak

Old 04-18-2019, 11:27 PM

Nice and clear, thanks
Old 04-19-2019, 06:02 AM

Lived in Sandspit for 3 years.

No idea why anyone would waste time chumming for Halibut.....I found them easy to catch.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
Lived in Sandspit for 3 years.

No idea why anyone would waste time chumming for Halibut.....I found them easy to catch.
There was very little pressure in the time of the steamboats

Old 04-19-2019, 09:45 AM

I once saw on bc outdoors when they were fishing for halibut with David Murphy that he had something on a downrigger while they were fishing. I met Dave at the sportsman show after that and asked hom about it. He said that he lowered chum in a bag to the bottom on the downrigger when fishing for halibut. I had planned to make something out of 4 inch pvc that i could fill woth fish scraps and lower it down. I just never got around to it yet.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Hawk View Post
I once saw on bc outdoors when they were fishing for halibut with David Murphy that he had something on a downrigger while they were fishing. I met Dave at the sportsman show after that and asked hom about it. He said that he lowered chum in a bag to the bottom on the downrigger when fishing for halibut. I had planned to make something out of 4 inch pvc that i could fill woth fish scraps and lower it down. I just never got around to it yet.
If you are going to do that have a real good set of cutters handy, I read quite a few times where some monster grabbed it and ran. If they werent able to cut the downrigger cable it was carnage on the boat. I have seen guides tie heads to the anchor too, with zip ties. Little ones.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:37 PM

Easy way to get chum to the bottom even in deep water is with a spare rod with just a heavy lead tied on. Place the lead in the corner of a plastic bag and secure it there with a zip tie or few wraps of line on the outside of the bag just above the lead. Open the bag and fill with chum no more than half full. Drop the bag to the bottom quickly and as long as your sinker lead is heavy enough the water pressure on the falling bag keeps the chum inside. Once it hits bottom wait a few seconds before giving it few jigs then quick retrieve to turn the bag inside out. I have used the method to 200ft and it works well, the greater the depth / faster the tide the more lead you will need.