Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
The green belt I am talking about has a lot of dogs walking on. And lots of them are off leash. And you are thinking of releasing an aggressive dog to harass the dog in a belt? Very smart!

Just assisting some of the irresponsible owners by getting their dogs to relieve themselves faster. He never bit one of them. Just helped them exercise in circles. Vigorously.

I guess the short story is dogs shouldn't be crapping and offleash in public walkways, schoolyards, and parks not designated offleash areas. Why should others have to walk, run, and bike a slalom course to dodge dog excrement in public areas? A Safeway bag in ones hand while walking their dog shouldn't be too huge a burden to bear and theres lots of open space between the houses and the West leg of the Henday to run and crap in. Lots of coyotes too though so it could be back to square one.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Just assisting some of the irresponsible owners by getting their dogs to relieve themselves faster. He never bit one of them. Just helped them exercise in circles. Vigorously.

I guess the short story is dogs shouldn't be crapping and offleash in public walkways, schoolyards, and parks not designated offleash areas. Why should others have to walk, run, and bike a slalom course to dodge dog excrement in public areas? A Safeway bag in ones hand while walking their dog shouldn't be too huge a burden to bear and theres lots of open space between the houses and the West leg of the Henday to run and crap in. Lots of coyotes too though so it could be back to square one.
You’re asking people to take responsibility for themselves and think of others...doesn’t go over well with a lot of people 😒
Old 04-19-2019, 08:30 AM

The Town of Canmore even supplies 'doggy-bag' dispensers and garbage containers along it's pathway system. For the most part, people are pretty good about bagging their dogsh!t, although there's always the ones that don't. It's the ones that bag it, and then just leave the bag lying there, that I don't get! Maybe they're just used to their mothers following them around and picking up after them ?
Old 04-19-2019, 08:46 AM

I found going out in the early morning after a solid freeze is best. The squished ones peel up nice. It was a long winter and it seems both my dogs crap at least once a day. So let me do the math on this... Holy crap, thats a lot of crap. Definitely doing more winter picking up. It was our first winter with a second largeish dog.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:06 AM

Anyone else’s dog takes T-Rex sized poops like in Jurassic Park?

I’m amazed what comes out of my 8 month old lab pup daily. It’s 3 huge piles a day, everyday.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
The green belt I am talking about has a lot of dogs walking on. And lots of them are off leash. And you are thinking of releasing an aggressive dog to harass the dog in a belt? Very smart!
You wouldn't want to do that with my brother's Kangal. Just saying. I pick up every day. Might miss the odd one but it keeps the yard clean. A winter's worth of Newfoundland dog poop wouldn't be a good thing.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:17 AM

Harrows behind the tractor, work it into lawn for early spring green-up! PS 40 acre yard, do horses at the same time.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:21 AM
Banned

Daily is the way to go. Winter is the easiest time to do it. Frozen solid in an hour. Quick scoop and into the compost bin. Takes less than a minute if you do it daily.

Why make more work for yourself? A quick routine process daily or a mega project in the spring. To each his own I guess.

If you have a dog that spends time outside in the yard daily, put yourself in their paws. Would you want to wonder around in 3 -4 months of your crap during recreation?
Old 04-19-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post

I’m amazed what comes out of my 8 month old lab pup daily. It’s 3 huge piles a day, everyday.
Talk to your vet. Change the food out. I buy my dogs food from my vet. The stools are smaller and she eats less has more energy. Works out to about 2.35 a day.

BW
Old 04-19-2019, 02:24 PM

Amazing - no one's posted photos yet ....
Old 04-20-2019, 03:06 PM

Just mulch it with the lawn mower
Old 04-21-2019, 11:03 AM

Left it over the winter once and the mess and stench was horrible. Pick up as much as possible in winter now. This last winter with the lack of snow help keep the yard clean. Only used the snow blower twice.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:55 AM
Banned

Default Cement pad.

My entire yard is a big cement pad. ( townhouse)
Makes cleaning up after the dog so simple.
I try and keep it cleared off in the winter.
Can’t always get it all during the winter, sometimes it ends up in a pile of snow against the fence.
Then in the summer it’s a combination of shovelling and hosing down the pad.

Sure it’s a trade off not having grass.
I don’t miss those days like you spent, cleaning up 6 months of turds.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post

Feed the pup a raw diet.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Dogs should not be off leash in the city.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:48 PM
Banned

I clean every Sunday faithfully. Although this winter I slacked in this really cold snap but as soon as things started melting I was on it. This year I even got all the frozen pee which was about three inches thick. My dog always takes a whizz right where I don't want him to so in a way it made clean up very simple. It also depends on the weather if I know it's going to rain I'll clean up that day. It doesn't happen very often but I don't like crap foot in my castle.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:26 AM

I don't have a dog anymore. It wouldn't really be fair to the dog with our small yard and my arthritis making walks an issue.
But, I've always wondered what people would think if I was to go back in time about 40 years and tell the people walking their dogs that they had to carry a bag with them and pick up their dogs poop.
They'd think I was insane. Heck... most people just threw their garbage out the window as they drove down the road.
I certainly don't remember ever seeing anyone pick up dog poop back then. Unless it was to fling it at a friend lol