Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-03-2019, 09:55 PM

Default Fishing Kayak Reviews

Hello everyone. First post!
Been looking at getting into kayak fishing. So first off is the kayak itself. Been looking online lots. So narrowed it down to a sit on top, somewhere around the 12ft length.
What I'm looking for is people that have them, and can give a good review of your personal experience.
I plan on fishing lakes and ponds, for pike and walleye, with the odd trip to BC for some small lakes out there.
Thanks for your time!
Old 04-04-2019, 07:58 AM

I have two Jacksons paddle kayaks, and love them. Though at this point pedal kayaks are basically taking over . Though to be honest as much as I would like a pedal Kayak they do have a number of advantages. I am not all that motivated to upgrade I just don't feel all that I give up all that much.

Hobbie and Wilderness Systems are other good brands. if you have the budget I would stay with the bigger brands.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:38 PM

For fishing you can't beat a pedal drive kayak(hands free is invaluable), Hobie is by far my favourite. They aren't cheap though especially with our weak dollar and tariffs now...

How much are you willing to spend and what is your approximate size? Would you value stability and extra room for tackle etc or speed/ability to cover more ground? With that info I can probably give you a couple specific ideas.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:49 PM

I used an Advanced Elements Island Voyage inflatable kayak last year. Light and easy to handle. Caught plenty fish out of it. Just not the best if it’s windy.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:17 PM

A quick note on sit-on-top kayaks. You get wet easily which is fine on a plus 20 day but not so fine on a 5 degree day. When I initially was researching kayaks, I thought I wanted a sit on top but a couple rentals later I realized the sit-in were what I wanted. Personal experience speaking I find the sit in are not that much more unstable, I’d really have to try to tip mine if I wanted to. All that being said if you want a sit on top then all the more power to you.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
For fishing you can't beat a pedal drive kayak(hands free is invaluable), Hobie is by far my favourite. They aren't cheap though especially with our weak dollar and tariffs now...

How much are you willing to spend and what is your approximate size? Would you value stability and extra room for tackle etc or speed/ability to cover more ground? With that info I can probably give you a couple specific ideas.
As much as I would like to have the peddle drive, right now my bank account is saying otherwise haha I was hoping to spend around $800 for a second hand one. I am willing the sacrifice some speed for the ability to stand.

One that has caught my eye is the Old Town Predator 13. Seems to have lots of accessories, stable, and people have had good reviews so far.

Thanks for everyone response so far, the being dry when it's cold out is important, definitely something to keep in mind for sure.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskgreen View Post
As much as I would like to have the peddle drive, right now my bank account is saying otherwise haha I was hoping to spend around $800 for a second hand one. I am willing the sacrifice some speed for the ability to stand.

One that has caught my eye is the Old Town Predator 13. Seems to have lots of accessories, stable, and people have had good reviews so far.

Thanks for everyone response so far, the being dry when it's cold out is important, definitely something to keep in mind for sure.
Predator 13 is an ok boat, bit of a bear to paddle due to weight/size but good if you are a bigger guy. Ocean Kayak Trident isn't as good for standing in(smaller guys with decent balance like myself can do it easy enough) and not as comfortable a seat but a decent kayak and much better paddling(was my first kayak), wetter ride though.

As for staying dry, just wear dry gear. Rain paints/jacket and waterproof boots when cold. Some kayaks are dryer then others.

Not many options in that price range so if your stuck spending that much its pretty much a pelican or ascend if buying new. If you can jump up to 1200-1500 then you have a couple more options but still not that many. Just go check out the main stores and see what looks interesting to you.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:15 PM

From what I've been reading, most people that buy the pelican or ascend, and like the kayak fishing, end up replacing them soon after. I was hoping to just skip that step and buy a good second hand one. They certainly hold their value! Just getting over that sticker shock I guess. However I'm thinking it will be a purchase that can last

Think I will keep watching for a good used one, maybe I can get a good deal on one. Whether it be a Predator 13, Jackson, Wilderness, etc. Not much out there right now, hopefully the warmer weather will change that!
Old 04-06-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
From what I've been reading, most people that buy the pelican or ascend, and like the kayak fishing, end up replacing them soon after. I was hoping to just skip that step and buy a good second hand one. They certainly hold their value! Just getting over that sticker shock I guess. However I'm thinking it will be a purchase that can last

Think I will keep watching for a good used one, maybe I can get a good deal on one. Whether it be a Predator 13, Jackson, Wilderness, etc. Not much out there right now, hopefully the warmer weather will change that!
There are the odd used kayaks that come available but not all that often and they usually hold their value and sell fast.

You are right about the pelican and ascends. The one argument for them is that even if you get a better quality paddle kayak if you like it and start getting into kayak fishing more once you see a pedal drive kayak in action you will probably want to upgrade to one anyways.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:43 PM

If standing and casting is what you are after a 33” width is the benchmark for standability, anything narrower is too tippy. I like a longer kayak because it tracks better and is faster in the water. I’ve had the ocean kayak trident 13, pelican catch 120 and now own a pescador pilot and an old town next.

Honestly the pelican catch 120 is hard to beat for value. It is a bit slow to paddle but no worse than anything else that wide. It has a good seat, good storage and stable enough to fly cast and sight fish from. I loved the ocean kayak trident because it was so easy to paddle, it was a bit of a wet ride and me being 220 lbs was too hard to stand and cast. I would usually wear waterproof pants and rubber boots and would stay warm during rain and wet rides. But I did end up selling it for a pedal drive. I still have an old town next, it’s the same dimensions as the ocean kayak trident 13 but a stiffer hull for paddling efficiency, it’s honestly a wicked boat, I’m surprised it’s not more popular.

If you are set on paddling a lot invest in a good and light paddle. The pros at Aquabatics or totem can point you in the right direction. Most sit on tops would use a 240 cm paddle but an adjustable paddle length is the way to go. Also check out this post on my blog about kayak stability and standability and a bit more on my experience:

https://www.stringtheoryangling.ca/k...y-for-fishing/

Hope you find a great boat!
Old 04-09-2019, 05:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Listen to RavYak.....he has been there and done it, I would if in the market, pm him and engage his knowledge.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-10-2019, 12:58 PM

I fish out of a Jackson Kilroy and love it. Lots of room and it comes with a track system for attaching all your accessories. Easy to stand in.

One recommendation - make sure the seat is comfortable in whatever one you pick.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:30 PM

Runamok, Standing and casting is important to me. And being 6', 230lbs I am willing to paddle a wider kayak but have the ability to stand. Will be mostly smaller lakes that I want to take it on, for the larger ones I got my 14ft Aluminum with a 25hp on the back haha
I will check out the blog for sure!

Unclerj- Yeah having a good seat would be important for sure. From what I've been reading the Jackson line is one of the best, but unfortunately they do come with a higher price tag.

Been watching for a good used deal. Hopefully one comes around.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:01 PM

I don't mean to jack your thread but I've never used a kayak before and I'm curious what are the advantages over a light weight tripping canoe?

I've been looking for a deal on a good canoe for back country lake / river tripping with my wife and the thought of a couple kayaks have crossed my mind, but they seem much less convenient for wrestling a fish on board or standing to cast (or take a leak) and storage in general.

Wouldn't mind your thoughts from the more experienced fellas.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:23 PM

I installed an H-Bar on my Hobie 12 PA, to help haul my 240 lb carcass up to a standing position, and something to steady myself with when I got there. Even on a barge like my PA, and even with the H-Bar, I never felt steady enough while standing so I eventually moved the H-Bar over to my tin boat. It was instrumental in helping a mobility-challenged buddy of mine to get in and out of the boat, and seated. Actually, I'm satisfied with the Hobie seat in the high position, for casting & fish fighting. IMO standing capability is over-rated.

Just call me "Wob Lee "
Old 04-11-2019, 06:00 AM
Banned

I have an old town predator and I really like it. I can stand on one foot on the side of the platform and still not have any imbalance from the kayak. I have been considering selling this one for the newest upgrade old town has out now that has a built in pedal and paddle system. Over all old town makes a great fishing kayak.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Runamok, Standing and casting is important to me. And being 6', 230lbs I am willing to paddle a wider kayak but have the ability to stand. Will be mostly smaller lakes that I want to take it on, for the larger ones I got my 14ft Aluminum with a 25hp on the back haha
I will check out the blog for sure!

Unclerj- Yeah having a good seat would be important for sure. From what I've been reading the Jackson line is one of the best, but unfortunately they do come with a higher price tag.

Been watching for a good used deal. Hopefully one comes around.
Being that size and considering you don't need to cover lots of ground a kayak like the Old Town Predator probably would be what to look for. There are lots of options in that size/style but pretty much all of them are 1500+ so you will need to find one used or find some more money.

If money is an issue and you can't find a used one and still want a kayak then the Pelican Catch 120 wouldn't be a bad buy. It is very stable and has good reviews, biggest weakness is that it is slow(but so are many kayaks that size, Old Town Predator included) and maybe not the best layout/rigging.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
I have an old town predator and I really like it. I can stand on one foot on the side of the platform and still not have any imbalance from the kayak. I have been considering selling this one for the newest upgrade old town has out now that has a built in pedal and paddle system. Over all old town makes a great fishing kayak.
If you're interested in selling yours shoot me a PM with the details. Pics, price, etc. If not I don't blame you in keeping it! ha

RavYak- Yeah I am thinking I'll keep saving my pennies and watching the used section. I am a fan of buying good quality items. Have phoned a couple places just to get an idea of the difference between new and used. You had mentioned Hobie was your favorite, what model do you use? Thanks for all the help to by the way, much appreciated!
Old 04-11-2019, 09:39 PM

Pelican’s new pedal drive catch 130 seems to be getting rave reviews on YouTube. Tons of value compared to the price of other pedal drives. I’m gonna pick one up if they ever get them in stock locally.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
If you're interested in selling yours shoot me a PM with the details. Pics, price, etc. If not I don't blame you in keeping it! ha

RavYak- Yeah I am thinking I'll keep saving my pennies and watching the used section. I am a fan of buying good quality items. Have phoned a couple places just to get an idea of the difference between new and used. You had mentioned Hobie was your favorite, what model do you use? Thanks for all the help to by the way, much appreciated!
I prefer the Outback for most situations. The new Outback although expensive is probably the best kayak you could buy for Alberta fishing.

I love their products but the dollar and tariffs just make them so pricey now.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:47 PM

Hi Saskgreen,
I have a predator 13 i am selling if your intrested.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynofish View Post
Hi Saskgreen,
I have a predator 13 i am selling if your intrested.
Interested, if you can message me some info about it, pics, price, etc would be awesome.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:19 PM

Pm sent
Old 04-13-2019, 07:54 PM

Just throwing this in... I have a Clearwater Designs Inuvik Angler, really like it. It handles like a good rec kayak and is well capable of multi day trips. There's a tray attachment for a rod holder, fish finder, hooks and tools, and 2 more rod holders behind the seat. I've got a spray skirt for it to stay dry.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:40 PM

Sorry saskgreen some reason I cant attach photos. Please text me if intrested
Old 04-18-2019, 08:05 AM

After a lot of research, I picked up a Pelican 120NXT. And I love it! I bought it for fishing on rivers and spending a couple nights on the water. Used it a couple times last year, in particular on the Little Smoky River and it was perfect and a blast. Packed all i needed and it was nice to have access to the inside of the hull to keep the centre of gravity low. I am 6'2" and weigh 225 lbs and it was stable and comfortable.