Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-20-2019, 03:21 AM

Default Fishing for Bluefin in Tasmania

Well, we had a good charter out of Pirate Bay, Tasmania on Thursday, and I checked off a bucket list fish. We were around Tasman Island or there abouts, and it was not the most pleasant conditions as the swells and rollers had us thrown about and hanging on to the 'oh crap' handles most of the day. Started slow, but around noon it was Fish On!

I got the rod, and it was all I could do to reel, and not go over the side with every swell. But, after about 15 minutes, I had a beautiful 40 kg bluefin on deck! Many high fives! I had my friend Matt and two of my daughters along, so we weren't done. A half hour later and Matt hooked up, fought his fish to the boat twice, then when it took the line and ran again he handed off to me and I brought it back to the boat and it was gaffes. In fairness, Matt had played it out pretty much and it wasn't too hard to bring it in at the end, but the Capt'n and mate sure gave him the gears for quitting and handing off to the Canuck.... anyway, another 40 kg fish. It was amazing how big around and heavy these guys are, pure muscle.

Then, a half hour after that it was fish on again and my daughter did a great job working it, the fish finally ran right at us, went under and got cut loose on the prop before we could get out....damn! But still not over. 45 minutes later, Fish On!! And we could tell it was bigger right away. My daughter did her best on it, it almost yanked her over, then I took over for a while, then Matt had a go, my daughter Libby tried for a bit, another go for me, and then Matt's friend Rick who had been violently seasick all day got out for the last go and we got it landed. Unfortunately, there was a dang big seal all over it for the last 50 yards, but chewed it up bad and wouldn't let off till we had it beside the boat and gave it a hell of a bonk with the gaff. A 50 kg fish!

Anyway, it was so awesome to get a bluefin, they really fight, they don't quit at all. We kept the two 40 kg fish, and Rick (after he recovered from the harsh boat ride) cooked us up an amazing meal of sashimi, and tuna steaks. It was so good, I ate 4 steaks...Rick is a chef at his own restaurant and had actually made us a meal of scallops, abalone and lobster he had dived for the day before. A spectacular meal, accompanied by entirely too much wine and whiskey....trip of a life time! Will try to throw some pics up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190420_190431_01.jpg (32.7 KB, 317 views)

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-20-2019, 04:21 AM

That is crazy awesome cool!!!

What an experience man!!!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 04-20-2019, 07:58 AM

Holy crap that looks rough out there. Thanks for sharing
Old 04-20-2019, 09:43 AM

Nice! Yes they are an amazing fish! Both in the water and as table fare! Lol
Old 04-20-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru fisher View Post
Holy crap that looks rough out there. Thanks for sharing
Yes, it was pretty bad for sure. I have some bruises on my legs from getting tossed about. Well worth it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-21-2019, 01:27 PM

very nice
Old 04-22-2019, 10:04 AM

That sounds great. I would love to have fresh tuna one day. I heard a thing a long time ago that supposedly the best time for tuna is 3-4 days after its killed due to the blood or something to that extent making it “irony”.

Im sure it was incredible either way!
Old 04-22-2019, 10:16 AM

Thats awesome!

BW
Old 04-22-2019, 02:29 PM

Bucket list trip for sure! Good work.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:40 PM

You had my attention at Tasmania ! Sooooooo coooooool !!!!!!
Old 04-23-2019, 05:54 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Beauty.....looks wild out there!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...