Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-26-2009, 08:45 PM

Default Limbsaver recoil pad for a wtby?

Does anyone have or know what model of precision fit limbsaver pads will fit a weatherby vanguard sporter?
Old 03-29-2009, 02:06 AM

Their web site lists all of their pads by number and tells you what gun they fit.

http://www.limbsaver.com/
Old 04-01-2009, 05:30 PM

Thumbs up Yup

Just take your pad off go down to Pheiox gun range or your dealer match it up to one in the book becuse they dont list them thats what i did it works great
Old 04-01-2009, 05:50 PM

Oh my goodness , another fella using them pads . Why not shoot it get use to the recoil , then when it comes down to hunting with it you wouldnt even feel it . I know a 300 weatherby is gonna a have more recoil then my .280 but ya know what all I do is shoot it I plan to man up beat my arm and shoulder up good , after a few bruises youll learn awefully quick to get it tucked in there real good , other wise shes gonna hurt. Anyway Ill shut up now , good luck with your PAD .
Old 04-01-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Oh my goodness , another fella using them pads . Why not shoot it get use to the recoil , then when it comes down to hunting with it you wouldnt even feel it . I know a 300 weatherby is gonna a have more recoil then my .280 but ya know what all I do is shoot it I plan to man up beat my arm and shoulder up good , after a few bruises youll learn awefully quick to get it tucked in there real good , other wise shes gonna hurt. Anyway Ill shut up now , good luck with your PAD .
Can you say flinch development???? shoot till your arm is beat up and bruised?
Old 04-01-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munyee4321 View Post
Can you say flinch development???? shoot till your arm is beat up and bruised?
I suppose , next time i get a little brave and not holding onto that gun , Ill show you the bruises . Definitely gotta be Tuff , but I don't think Id put one of them Pads on my guns .Just shoot it until it don't hurt no more .
Old 04-10-2009, 11:14 PM

Put a limbsaver on my 300 wby vanguard to help with bench shooting it when I was building up a set of reloads last year. Have not found one custom fitted in Canada for it , you can check Cabelas . I took my stock pad off and got the one closest to fitting and ground it to fit , sure makes bench shooting a lot nicer and the groups get smaller as well. It is fun to shoot so I am shooting it more and the accuracy has inproved to where i am cutting some same holes at 100 yds. Also got rid of the trigger and went to a timney which is a great improvement as well .
Old 04-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
I suppose , next time i get a little brave and not holding onto that gun , Ill show you the bruises . Definitely gotta be Tuff , but I don't think Id put one of them Pads on my guns .Just shoot it until it don't hurt no more .
John, both you and I are Big boys.. But I would challenge you to 65 rounds down a 300 rum in under 2 hours.. Then at the end you have to free hand the 300 yard gong....

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN my friend.
You need to have confidence in your gun.. Not be jerking away at it and pulling back.
The best line I heard in regards to kick was something like this.
The 2 things human beings hate most are loud noises and being pushed around. Why not try and solve those issues? good ear protection and keep the kick as managable as possible.

Munyee. have you looked at the weatherby web site? Perhaps a 'grind" to fit is in order?
Jamie
Old 04-10-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdslayer View Post
Put a limbsaver on my 300 wby vanguard to help with bench shooting it when I was building up a set of reloads last year. Have not found one custom fitted in Canada for it , you can check Cabelas . I took my stock pad off and got the one closest to fitting and ground it to fit , sure makes bench shooting a lot nicer and the groups get smaller as well. It is fun to shoot so I am shooting it more and the accuracy has inproved to where i am cutting some same holes at 100 yds. Also got rid of the trigger and went to a timney which is a great improvement as well .
Yah i might have to go to the grind to fit i guess... with a wood stalk and a glued on stock pad looks like i may have to drill in some holes myself? The limbsaver website says a remmy 870 wing master precision fit pad should fit, but looking at their measurements its slightly smaller i'll have to take my gun in and have a looksie.

I keep hearing about these timney triggers? sounds like they are worth the $$. Although i don't mind how the trigger is on mine, it wouldn;t hurt to change for better. How much do these triggers cost? I don't have problem shooting my weatherby but after about 20rounds i get uncomfortable and stop. I would like to keep going to get a little long range shooting happening. Oh Im shooting a .338win mag
Old 04-11-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
What??? Wow...
I think Jaime hit the nail on the head with his comments.

I have used them on my 300RUM's with great results and just installed one a buddies 300WSM which he is quite happy with. A quick look at the Limbsaver site only showed this, {Weatherby Vanguard (some models, please check templates) Wood 10102}. As mentioned, the Grind-to-Fit may be the way to go depending on the firearm model. Good luck
Old 04-11-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Oh my goodness , another fella using them pads . Why not shoot it get use to the recoil , then when it comes down to hunting with it you wouldnt even feel it . I know a 300 weatherby is gonna a have more recoil then my .280 but ya know what all I do is shoot it I plan to man up beat my arm and shoulder up good , after a few bruises youll learn awefully quick to get it tucked in there real good , other wise shes gonna hurt. Anyway Ill shut up now , good luck
I will not use a muzzle brake,but I can see no reason at all why a person would not have a good recoil pad.Unlike a brake,there are no negatives to a good recoil pad.If it is going to make you more comfortable shooting the gun,you will shoot the gun more accurately as a result.If you can't find a custom pad,have one fitted,it's really not that difficult to do yourself.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:59 AM

I have installed two of those Limbsaver recoil pads on magnum rifles [338win,308 Norma mag.] and it tamed both down so much you can shoot either all day.If your worried about a perfect fit don't,all you have to do is buy one a touch larger than the butt end pre-fit it and mark out the out-line take it off and freeze the pad solid and then grind down on a belt sander to your pencil line.If you are realy careful you can leave it on the stock and put masking tape on the stock tight to the recoil pad and start grinding from there, but the real trick is to freeze the pad so to not plug up the sanding belt too much.Good luck those pads are worth the money.

Crabman