Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-27-2018, 09:08 AM
AO Sponsor

Default NAFA Preliminary Order of Sale, May 2018

http://www.nafa.ca/may-2018-preliminary-order-sale/

http://www.nafa.ca/wp-content/upload...NAFA-PSO-E.jpg

Here I thought ole Davey Boy would have stuck this on here some time ago! No Davey... No Jimmy...

Of course for me, coyotes the main interest, and oh me! oh my, a forecast of only 70,000 coyotes???

Now that is an interesting one! If it is true, however, we have seen many times a low forecast of goods and are suddenly surprised by a late influx of goods and sometimes unexpected staggering numbers. I suspect we will see more, but will it be a massive amount? With the price influx, I was expecting to see a 120,000 coyote sale, now 70,000??? YIKES!!!!

You have to understand that much else goes on in the coyote world besides NAFA. No, FHA is not really a factor at all because they don't get any significant amount of western goods, but the country buyers, mostly American, put up quite the volume/collection of goods. They collect very aggressively, competition for goods is very high and price levels paid to trappers and hunters reflects on the heavy competition. Small buyers often use NAFA to move their collections but most buyers sell their goods private treaty.

Generally, the fur collectors are selling fur to the same people that fill the auction room at NAFA, end users, brokers, so goods bought by the end users in the country means less goods needed to be bought in the auction room. Generally, but not always. Some folks prefer to buy exclusively at NAFA and of these are people with deep pockets.

So the questions... is there gonna be a heavy late influx of coyotes into this sale? Did the country buyers load up on goods and satisfy much of the demand? How big was the actual harvest? Is there more demand for the goods this year than last? Etc

Numerous buyers say the harvest was small, some mean it and some don't tell the truth regularly! Some buyers say there were plenty of coyotes and bought considerable amounts. I spoke with one of the largest American buyers regularly through the winter and he claimed the USA harvest was low?

So at 70,000 she's still burning hot! However, my jaded opinion from watching many seasons roll by dictates that much more will show up. But possibly not, new compilation/communication of goods heading to market has been never better, it could be accurate.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:09 AM

Guys, need to realize the later than normal first sale in March lots of fur moved so less numbers available for this sale. It could be good for strong prices, however Russians mad at us now for kicking out their diplomats, may not show.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:33 PM
Banned

Thanks for posting.

There are more coyote pelts this season than last. With the later Last Receiving Date this year I didn't expect as many coyotes in the May auction as in previous years. Certainly not 120,000 like in previous years. We had an extra 3 weeks or so to trap coyotes for the first auction that normally would have gone into the second one. In the end, the total number of pelts in both auctions aren't too much different.......2017 - 132,000 and 2018 - 143,500. 120,000 pelts in this auction instead of 70,000 would not have been good at all.

I don't expect the demand for coyotes to cool off too much and we should all do well in this auction.....but who knows? Grades might be lower with late season coyotes and could result in a lower auction average though I guess. I haven't check to see what if that happened in previous May auctions.

Around here there was a bumper crop of pups running around......no AC virus I guess. Maybe that's why there are more pelts this year.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Guys, need to realize the later than normal first sale in March lots of fur moved so less numbers available for this sale. It could be good for strong prices, however Russians mad at us now for kicking out their diplomats, may not show.
Russia hasn't shown up for a few years now.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:08 AM

Yes Dave this will be an interesting auction for sure . As for grades , I feel my May contribution is of better quality than those we shipped to the first sale and a couple other guys in my area feel the same about theirs . Would be fine with me if only 70,000 were offered at this one .
Old 03-29-2018, 08:43 PM

For this upcoming May sale, I had my coyotes into Halford's well before the last receiving date. However, when I log into my account, they aren't showing up in this season's receipts. Should I be concerned?
Old 03-29-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerpress View Post
For this upcoming May sale, I had my coyotes into Halford's well before the last receiving date. However, when I log into my account, they aren't showing up in this season's receipts. Should I be concerned?
Halfords ships them to NAFA all at once. wait at least a few weeks after last receiving date to start getting worried
Old 03-30-2018, 10:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerpress View Post
Just to elaborate on what kingrat stated......

My account shows the RECEIPT / CONSIGNMENT NO. (on the left side of the page) for the triwalls that my fur was shipped in and the date that NAFA received them was January 20. On the right side of the page it still shows the fur receipts for type/quantity of fur in the last auction. Have another look. Your fur receipts will show on the right side closer to auction.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:53 PM

That's real good , auditing licence carrying legal trappers..if i thought they would check up on them I'd report a whole.pile of hutt kids that are hanging cable with no licence...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2018, 05:48 AM

So ... is the idea of auditing trappers gonna be that they buy only from those trappers they approve ?