Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-17-2014, 07:39 PM

Default Bad start to the ice season

Started out this morning bright and early, getting the trike and gear loaded to go hit one of my walleye holes West of Edmonton. All was going well till I got about five minutes out of town when I realized I grabbed my trout and perch gear instead of my walleye gear. So thought I would be smart and grab some things at Canadian tire in Spruce grove. Hit the ramp for Century road and waited to turn left at the light, once the light turned, I pulled away only to hear a thud, and watch my trike, auger, shack, gear boxes, heater, 20lb propane bottle, Marcum cam and beer go flying out of the truck box Due to my tailgate not being lactched properly, and a strap that I shouldn't have needed breaking at the worst time. Lucky for me they did not hit anyone, and a guy helped me get things back in order. Feeling a little peeved, I continued to Spruce to access the damage and buy the basics needed. Had to buy new lines, lures, and a tip up to replace the damaged and missing gear. So continue on my way, only to get pulled over for a random check. All was well till I got to the lake. I unloaded the trike, only to find my rod case bent in two, along with the two rods in it. Carry on and get out to my spot, only to fish three hours and not even get a single nibble in a proven area. On the bright side I hit Cabelas on the way home and dround my sorrows by ordering a new Jaw Jacker, but failed to find a blade cover for my 9" Jiffy. ice was between 3.75"-6" close to shore.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:18 PM

Did the beer make out okay?!
Old 11-17-2014, 08:27 PM

[QUOTE=YeeHaw;2621030]Started out this morning bright and early, getting the trike and gear loaded to go hit one of my walleye holes West of Edmonton. All was going well till I got about five minutes out of town when I realized I grabbed my trout and perch gear instead of my walleye gear. So thought I would be smart and grab some things at Canadian tire in Spruce grove. Hit the ramp for Century road and waited to turn left at the light, once the light turned, I pulled away only to hear a thud, and watch my trike, auger, shack, gear boxes, heater, 20lb propane bottle, Marcum cam and beer go flying out of the truck box Due to my tailgate not being lactched properly, and a strap that I shouldn't have needed breaking at the worst time. Lucky for me they did not hit anyone, and a guy helped me get things back in order. Feeling a little peeved, I continued to Spruce to access the damage and buy the basics needed. Had to buy new lines, lures, and a tip up to replace the damaged and missing gear. So continue on my way, only to get pulled over for a random check. All was well till I got to the lake. I unloaded the trike, only to find my rod case bent in two, along with the two rods in it. Carry on and get out to my spot, only to fish three hours and not even get a single nibble in a proven area. On the bright side I hit Cabelas on the way home and dround my sorrows by ordering a new Jaw Jacker, but failed to find a blade cover for my 9" Jiffy. ice was between 3.75"-6" close to shore.[/QUOTE

A bad days fishing beats the hell ou of a good days work. Your perseverance is commendable to say the least.

BW
Old 11-17-2014, 08:28 PM

Debacle!
Old 11-17-2014, 08:33 PM

Great story and know that your luck will change ;-)
Old 11-17-2014, 08:40 PM

I have a 8" Eskimo blade cover. Not sure if it fits your jiffy. But I will give it to you if it does.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
Did the beer make out okay?!
Thankfully it did, or I might not have made it.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:23 PM

Sorry about all that.

My take on it, though, is that that's all the bad luck a guy's got. The odds of nothing bad or wrong happening now are very high so enjoy.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:55 PM

Thats a nasty way to start! Well hope the tide of fortune turns to your favour this season. Good ice fishin' to all
Old 11-17-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labo441 View Post
I have a 8" Eskimo blade cover. Not sure if it fits your jiffy. But I will give it to you if it does.
Thank you, but it wont fit.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:16 PM

Tough start to the season. As for not getting a nibble, if your fishing the morning for walleye Canadian tire shouldn't be open yet if your fishing the right time for them eyes 😜.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:46 PM
Banned

Aieeeeee! I leave town for awhile and things fall apart for you. Should have dropped by my place to get stuff you needed, though i"m all out of pink rods and chartreuse lures. Glad it wasn't worse and don't go catching that 50,00 fish while i'm in Mexico. Adios Amigo.
From the pics you sent me I see you rebounded nicely. 4 different species from 2 different lakes. Congrats.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:52 PM

lets hope that it was all your bad luck for the season done with.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:42 PM

Reading that thread title in mid november had me thinking this was much worse.

be careful buddy
Old 11-18-2014, 07:45 PM

better days lie ahead ; good luck
Old 11-18-2014, 09:57 PM

Redemption was mine today. Went out to Dolberg in the morning, but left at 2:00pm with two trout . From there I headed back to Lac St Anne in hopes of getting my pride back. Ended up landing a half dozen snot rockets, and a few walleye. Did not see any sine of others fishing the lake yet, thought the ice looked good.