Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 06-07-2010, 10:15 PM

Default Badger Problem

Hey guys, I am about 90% sure I have a Badger diggin holes on my lane, going after gophers. I shot one about 1 mile away back in April in the evening when I was taking the garbage to the dump. Now it looks like there is one ripping up my lane but I have yet to see it. Any ideas on how to try and trap it> thanks
Old 06-08-2010, 09:00 AM

Find the hole that is filled back in and he is in it. Set a connibear at the entrance leave enough room for the jaws to rotate and eventually he will come back out.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:45 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

I don't know if you can still buy them but they have these things called Gopher Bombs which are actually smoke bombs that kills the gophers in their holes. They work great on gophers and they'd do a number on a Badger as well. Find all the entrance holes and cover them except for one, that one you'll throw the smoke bomb in and then cover it with a sand bag or something similar. If it's down there it'll be toast for sure. If you see smoke coming out of another hole have a rifle/shotgun ready to shoot it as it tries to make a break for it. That should take care it for you. I've used them for gopher's and they worked pretty good especailly if your in an area you can't shoot in like the school ground's I used them in when I worked for the school board. Let me know if you can find them and how they worked out for you if you try them. Most Ag places carry them or at least they used to. Smoke bombs for testing pipe runs would work too but that's another story
Old 06-09-2010, 10:57 PM

Hi Yeah the best thing for getting rid of them is "Giant Destroyers" you can get them at Pevey Mart or UFA.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:00 PM

Default Badgers

If you want to get rid of them the same way I have, and allot of the ranchers around me is to close all the holes around where the fresh digin is. If you can find the latest holes after all the ones you shoveled in, pipe your exzaust from your truck into some of them and you wont need to find a wildlife control expert to deal with your problem, badgers will stay in the hole for a long time after you leave . I dont recomend trapping any badger as they are extermly hard to have a killing catch i have learned from experiance. The badgers have a very short neck and even with proper trapp placement they catch a little too far back from the main artiry that supplys blood to the animals brain and they have to be dispatched. I have caught several Wolverine in my trapps in the mountains and have never had an animal alive when i checked my trapps due to good trapp setting, they say they are the toughfest I HOPE I never find out. I killed 12 badges last year on the ranch and some for the other ranchers around. We have never had badgers before last year i hope we never have any more but my dad said he seen some fresh diggin in the pasture this week and they have got the same quality of air the previous ones did
Old 06-11-2010, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the tips guys, it looks like the badger has moved on as I have been filling in the holes to check for a new one, and nothing for 5 days now. If it shows up again, i'm gonna try a couple of the ideas and see what happens.
thanks