Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-22-2010, 12:32 PM

Default Trapper's names and line numbers are NOT protected

I wrote a letter to Sustainable Resources Development in Edmonton and asked for an explanation as to how a person could enter into a secret agreement with the province to harvest a resource that belongs to the people of the province. I did receive a letter from Verna Wolfram with Licencing, Revenue and Data Management. This is a quote from her letter. “We can release the trapline number and the name of the individual that it is registered to, but we are not allowed to release the individuals address, phone number or any private information because of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP).” It was also stated in her letter that trapline maps are available and can be purchased at Map Town in Edmonton. Verna Wolfram went on to state in the letter that if one requires a specific trapline number and name then to do so in writing to Bev Fetter, Fish and Wildlife Division, Edmonton.
I did request a computer print out of all the registered trapline numbers and names in the province from Bev Fetter and did receive the requested information. Why not, as this is public and unprotected information! If one does ask for this information at a Fish and Wildlife Office and is denied the information then take the reason given for the refusal to comply and go directly to someone such as Bev Fetter or to the Minister of Sustainable Resources Development. Do not accept no as an answer! This information has always been there and just for the asking!
One would have presumed that all Fish and Wildlife Offices would have received a directive giving them an understanding on how the FOIP Act is to be interpreted and applied. It’s unacceptable and unwarranted for local Fish and Wildlife Offices to force people to go to an unnecessary length and effort to obtain nothing but public and unprotected information. The unwillingness of the Fish and Wildlife Offices to provide the information appears to be nothing but a neglect and a disregard of their obligations to serve the public.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:37 PM

Just wondering why you would want the names and trapline numbers of every trapper in the province?
Not trying to start a fight just wondering.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:42 PM

Like I said before, this information is easily accessible.

Something needs to be done about it. If the information fell into the wrong hands all sorts of nastiness could ensue Honestly, with some of the crazies out there the safety or you and your family could be at stake.

At the very least get a P.O. box, so when you renew you can change your street address to that.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=LSLAKER;592864]I wrote a letter to Sustainable Resources Development in Edmonton and asked for an explanation as to how a person could enter into a secret agreement with the province to harvest a resource that belongs to the people of the province.
The agreement I have with the prov., is not secret but it is not published on every street corner either as it is on a - need to know - basis, and quite honestly, I don't know if you are on that list or should be.
OK, I understand that our "privacy", is not as private as previously thought and that something should be done about plugging the dam and I'm sure it will be looked in to by the proper people.
However my question to you, is in the 1st sentence of your post... Where is it you are coming from and it really makes me wonder, how honorable your intentions are being a 1st time poster to boot. I interpret your statement as asking why, am I as a trapper allowed to do what I do. Am I not reading this right and does anyone else have the same "feeling" as me.
Please clear the air for myself and others if they see it as I do..
I"ve seen PETA operate in similar fashion and if this is the case here, I think, I want to know who YOU are, for my own protection ..
Old 05-23-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
Am I not reading this right and does anyone else have the same "feeling" as me.
Please clear the air for myself and others if they see it as I do..
I"ve seen PETA operate in similar fashion and if this is the case here, I think, I want to know who YOU are, for my own protection ..
Yes, the post seems very off. The average person has no use for the amount of data he was given. I question his motives as well.

But, you never know. Maybe he just wants a cookie and a pat on the head for being able to successfully attain this "secret" data.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:24 AM

Seems to me people with trap lines have the same right to privacy as people with drivers licenses or win cards do.. Or are they also in a secret agreement with the province?
Old 05-23-2010, 09:23 PM

Default Different Perspectives

It's interesting to see the different perspectives on this. I had started a thread a while back asking how to find out the names of trapline owners. My reasoning was simple: I'm interesting in purchasing one; knowing names might help me find one that's for sale in my area. I never thought of it as an invasion of privacy, but I could see how it might be a little unnerving or bothersome to get a call from some stranger asking if your line was for sale or if you knew of anyone who was considering selling. I especially didn't think of the crazies out there getting a hold of this information for ill intent.

I can see LSLAKER's point that trappers are utilizing a public resource and that as such, the agreement to do so should be public information. I presume the same can be said for grazing leases, oil/gas leases, etc. So how do you balance the public's right to know against the privacy of the individual lease holders?

Really, I'm not . I just want to buy your line.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Banned

Default Get the ATA mag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeHugger View Post
It's interesting to see the different perspectives on this. I had started a thread a while back asking how to find out the names of trapline owners. My reasoning was simple: I'm interesting in purchasing one; knowing names might help me find one that's for sale in my area. I never thought of it as an invasion of privacy, but I could see how it might be a little unnerving or bothersome to get a call from some stranger asking if your line was for sale or if you knew of anyone who was considering selling. I especially didn't think of the crazies out there getting a hold of this information for ill intent.

I can see LSLAKER's point that trappers are utilizing a public resource and that as such, the agreement to do so should be public information. I presume the same can be said for grazing leases, oil/gas leases, etc. So how do you balance the public's right to know against the privacy of the individual lease holders?

Really, I'm not . I just want to buy your line.

I don't believe you and neither should anyone else ...get the ATA classifeieds if you want a line..they are listed in there. Or phone some of the guys that have two or three lines like Brian Bildson and Klassen...they may sell you one