Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-10-2010, 02:10 PM

Default Want to purchase live beavers

Looking to purchase a few live beavers. There is a small pond on my fathers land that we would like to release a few beavers into so they can dam it up. The property at one time had beavers on it but the previous owner had them shot/trapped. Basically need the beavers to raise the water level in the pond......any thoughts fellas???
Old 04-10-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrobert View Post
Looking to purchase a few live beavers. There is a small pond on my fathers land that we would like to release a few beavers into so they can dam it up. The property at one time had beavers on it but the previous owner had them shot/trapped. Basically need the beavers to raise the water level in the pond......any thoughts fellas???
You can do what I did back in the day, used to get lots Put on some nice clothes and some good Cologne, stop off at a bank machine so you have some funds and head out to a local pub. It doesn't hurt to go through a few tossed out bank receipts until you find one with a huge balance this can be used to write your number on and could get you lucky the next day,. Good luck

Last edited by fluxcore; 04-10-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:01 PM

Flux beat me to it.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
You can do what I did back in the day, used to get lots Put on some nice clothes and some good Cologne, stop off at a bank machine so you have some funds and head out to a local pub. It doesn't hurt to go through a few tossed out bank receipts until you find one with a huge balance this can be used to write your number on and could get you lucky the next day,. Good luck

NO NO NO thats how you catch cougars. for beavers ya gotta show them your wood,,
Old 04-10-2010, 05:42 PM

ask the county they may have a few they want relocated.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:55 PM

I'm sure if you talk to your local farmers they will tell you you can keep any you can catch Gonna be quite the rodeo though.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firegod74 View Post
I'm sure if you talk to your local farmers they will tell you you can keep any you can catch Gonna be quite the rodeo though.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:21 PM

Its called rent a trackhoe....
Old 04-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Banned

Trackhoe? That's no fun. Let's go catch a couple with our bare hands. We'll drag em kickin and screamin and throw em in burlap sacs. We'll put em in the back of the truck and haul em to the new place. I'd be on that like flies on crap lol.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Banned

Go to your yellow pages and see what you can find under Animal Damage Control (ADC). Some one there could probably tell you where you can rent a live trap or they be able to cut you a deal and do it for you. Sometime the MD's / Countys have people who do this but not many live trap. Halford's in Edm might also have the live traps as well. They are not cheap therefore I would see if I could rent or gert an ADC guy to do it for you..
Old 04-10-2010, 11:45 PM

Just a open question, but if the habitat is present would the beavers have not found it on their own?
Old 04-11-2010, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerdBull View Post
Trackhoe? That's no fun. Let's go catch a couple with our bare hands. We'll drag em kickin and screamin and throw em in burlap sacs. We'll put em in the back of the truck and haul em to the new place. I'd be on that like flies on crap lol.
Ironically enough, last Sunday the wife and I were beavering on the creek, one popped up so close to the bank I was standing on it was just point and shoot. Well he started doing the familiar spins in the water, told the old lady "Hurry up and grab it". She tells me "are you ******ed, its still alive". So me to the rescue, over the old 2 wire fence, across the beaver damn, break through the ice on the bank trying to stretch for it, up to my stomach in water now and grab the bugger by the tail. Well as luck has it I just grazed it on the nose and he was very much alive. So wife is on the other side of the creek, beaver is trying to bite me and I no longer have my gun with me. But I'm not letting him go because thats my $17 kicking and biting at me. So I put him so his front feet were on the ground and he was trying to scramble away, but I'm dragging him towards the gun by the tail so we can end the excitement. Well try to imagine getting a live beaver over a barbed wire fence that is the very least to say ****ed at you. Got him out and to the gun, reloaded the gun and lifted the beaver up with 1 hand and holding the gun in the other get it to his head and it was all over. Cold, bleeding(as I cut myself a good on the barbed wire, trying not to get bit) and a wife that just doesn't understand why I love doing what I do, with a big smile on my face we make our way back to the truck. I love it.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:46 AM

i think post #2 sounds like more fun
Old 04-11-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo1010 View Post
i think post #2 sounds like more fun
Also, the only one that makes any sense. Our dog cornered one in the woods one day. Never realized how big they are and he was bound and determined to have that German Shepherd , for lunch.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 04-11-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:48 AM

As far as I know it is illegal to purchase wildlife in Alberta (dead or alive) without a permit! As a retired farmer all I can say is be careful what you wish for . Them little critters don't know when the water is "high enough".
Old 04-11-2010, 10:02 AM

My couisin has some on his land, he wants the beaver ponds, but they are really doing a number on his tress, so he trying to control the numbers, its a little tough though as he wants 1 or 2 around we counted 12 last fall.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerdBull View Post
You can't even shoot one!! How the heck will you get one with your bare hands? lol
Old 04-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Banned

Shaadap Meech lol. I'm goin tmrw EVENING lol... You comin?
Old 04-14-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
My couisin has some on his land, he wants the beaver ponds, but they are really doing a number on his tress, so he trying to control the numbers, its a little tough though as he wants 1 or 2 around we counted 12 last fall.
You have to decide which is more important, trees or water filled ponds. If you want to keep the trees, I would build a dam yourself.

Make sure you get the proper permits.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:23 PM

check out plenty of fish...theres lots of live beavers there!
Old 05-26-2010, 09:02 AM

just put wire mesh around the bottom of the trees you want to keep and let em take care of the rest easy way to get wood for the fire pit after it down and all limbed out for ya lol
Old 07-09-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeti7 View Post
Ironically enough, last Sunday the wife and I were beavering on the creek, one popped up so close to the bank I was standing on it was just point and shoot. Well he started doing the familiar spins in the water, told the old lady "Hurry up and grab it". She tells me "are you ******ed, its still alive". So me to the rescue, over the old 2 wire fence, across the beaver damn, break through the ice on the bank trying to stretch for it, up to my stomach in water now and grab the bugger by the tail. Well as luck has it I just grazed it on the nose and he was very much alive. So wife is on the other side of the creek, beaver is trying to bite me and I no longer have my gun with me. But I'm not letting him go because thats my $17 kicking and biting at me. So I put him so his front feet were on the ground and he was trying to scramble away, but I'm dragging him towards the gun by the tail so we can end the excitement. Well try to imagine getting a live beaver over a barbed wire fence that is the very least to say ****ed at you. Got him out and to the gun, reloaded the gun and lifted the beaver up with 1 hand and holding the gun in the other get it to his head and it was all over. Cold, bleeding(as I cut myself a good on the barbed wire, trying not to get bit) and a wife that just doesn't understand why I love doing what I do, with a big smile on my face we make our way back to the truck. I love it.
Next time ya get one give me a call we'll throw it in a guys truck or van an watch what happens when he gets in lmao, ooh boy would be a rodeo for sure