Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-14-2009, 10:35 AM

Default Real time coyote hunting.......

Down south- east this weekend on the inlaws farm, out in the field by 7am, -23 deg, fog. Did some calling, no luck, moved , more calling, nothing move, still heavy fog, back to the house for some pancakes. 10:30am, heading back out, fog has lifted a little, packing 22 hornet, half dozen calls, warmed up to -18. There is tracks around, going to setup by the coulie.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:25 PM

Started calling by the coulie, about five minutes into it a coyote showed up, blew the squeaker call , he came in to about 150 yards, he got it , back to the shop to do some skining, out back for the evening now.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:42 PM

Did a lot of calling , nothing moving, even tried the siren, yotes must be some where, will do some scouting tomrrow morning.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayer View Post
Did a lot of calling , nothing moving, even tried the siren, yotes must be some where, will do some scouting tomrrow morning.
Siren? What's that?

Old 02-17-2009, 07:31 PM

I have a hand crank siren that I use to locate coyotes, sometimes they will yell back, then I will go back latter to the area and try calling. I had 3 dogs come in, got one, the other 2 hung out just far enough out of range of the 22 hornet, should have packed the 243 wssm. Seen a mulie buck with almost pure white horns, is this because the horns are ready to shed? Also seen a cougar, and some moose.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayer View Post
I have a hand crank siren that I use to locate coyotes, sometimes they will yell back, then I will go back latter to the area and try calling. I had 3 dogs come in, got one, the other 2 hung out just far enough out of range of the 22 hornet, should have packed the 243 wssm. Seen a mulie buck with almost pure white horns, is this because the horns are ready to shed? Also seen a cougar, and some moose.
What were the circumstances with the cougar, Did you inadvertantly call it in? Lucky to be seeing that.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:18 PM

I was walking along the fence line between two quarter sections, cougar was laying down next to bunch of hay bales that are stacked up, it stood up, thats when I seen it, it seen me and took off at mach 2 accross the field, no I did not fire any shots, not sure if there,s a season.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:26 PM

I do not have the regs handy, But I believe the land owner can hunt them on their own property year round (without hounds.) I am not sure if a hunter with permission/access can hunt them though.

They do have to be reported and forfeited to SRD.