Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-13-2009, 09:51 AM

Default First Dall Hunt-Aug 08

I had a chance to experience my first dall hunt this past summer. We did our own self-guided hunt. I did not get my animal (long story) but my partner did! Our first day was really our only day we were able to hunt. We were socked in for the remainder of the trip except for the last day which was scheduled for pickup.

What a great experience!! I will be doing it again!

Diggs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dall Hunt 2008 010.jpg (119.1 KB, 481 views)
File Type: jpg Dall Hunt 2008 016.jpg (33.1 KB, 395 views)
File Type: jpg Dall Hunt 2008 023.jpg (114.7 KB, 395 views)
File Type: jpg Dall Hunt 2008 026.jpg (36.7 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg Dall Hunt 2008 033.jpg (36.4 KB, 379 views)
Old 02-13-2009, 10:11 AM

Congrats to you buddy.
Some nice pics. If you get a chance you will have to post a story.
Thanks for sharing.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 02-13-2009, 10:31 AM

Great pics, thanks for sharing!
Old 02-13-2009, 10:35 AM

Nice sheep. Congratualtion to your bud.
Great pictures.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Banned

Diggs.. We have lots of time..
give us more info and storys.
It sounds like a great adventure

Jamie
Old 02-13-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Congrats to you buddy.
Some nice pics. If you get a chance you will have to post a story.
Thanks for sharing.
The Story: (sorry for the length!)
I had heard that my buddy had his original partner for this trip cancel, so a week before his trip, I gave him a call and committed to fill in. I must say I was somewhat concerned as I had never hunted in mountains before and although I play 50+ hockey games a year...I was concerned about my conditioning for the hunt.

Since we were doing a self-guided four day hunt, we had to be careful to plan properly for our gear/supplies as we were going in to our camp with a Cessna 205 on floats...so space was limited.

We had a four drive to Fort Simpson and then a one hour flight into our hunt location. We touched down at around 3.30pm on a Thursday afternoon. The lake level was quite low so we had to carry our gear from the plane about 40ft to shore. Camp setup and then we were glassing the surrounding mountains within 2 hours. We were fortunate to spot three rams...two were legal. We watched them for about an hour and then I noticed a fourth larger ram...moving up the same mountain below the three. He kept on climbing and disappeared over the summit. We focused on planning our hunt the next morning on three rams.

In the morning...we awoke to the ceiling being down to only 200' or so. We had a good breakfast packed up and waited. About 9am the ceiling started to lift so we loaded the boat and headed out. At the start of our hike, the first 500m's had me seriously doubting my ability to handle the physical exertion. Hiking in knee deep moss with a twenty lb pack and rifle takes some getting used to. We settled into a groove and I really had very little issues the rest of the hike.

After about 2 hrs and some significant elevation change...we hit the slopes about the tree line. Shortly after, we spotted the three rams bedded down about 750 yards upslope of us. We were downwind and had been using the odd tree as cover. The three were bedded in such a way that each was able to watch below them. We were able to stalk up the long gentle slope to about 350 yards. They were still bedded so we kept crawling. At about 150 yards, they stood up. We also discovered that there was a dip between us and them on the slope. The rams had still not caught us and were grazing their way down this dip out of our sight. We crept up closer to just see over the lip of the slope down the dip. The two legal rams were lower down. My partner, prone on my left, said he would take the lower animal...I was to take the second one up. We were just getting ready to shoot and the wind suddenly changed going across us down to the rams. My partner poked his head up and the lowest animal had caught our scent. His head was looking directly up the slope to the lip. My partner told me we need to shoot...they had seen caught us. We double check our rifles and were about to shoot when I got an elbow in my ribs. What the hell now!!! My partner whispered my name...I looked at him and he was pointing to his left. There...only 45 ft away stood the largest ram...peering at us with his left eye as he stood broadside to us. He had come up the slope to inspect the strange scent!! Slowly, my partner pointed his 300winmag and was able to literally blow the ram off the mountain! I jumped up and ran to the edge of the slope and the two remaining rams were off and running to my left. I had to pick out the legal ram and just as I did...they stopped at 150 yards quartering away to the right(a near broadside left shot). I shouldered my rifle and prepared to fire.

Now let me tell you about my firearm. I have a Model88 .308 and everyone told me that it was not the right rifle to hunt sheep. So...after much debate, I was convinced to take my business partner's Mannlicher Model M 7x64. I had shot his rifle the fall before and found it to be accurate for me. What I did not recall was during a woodland caribou hunt in January 08, he had several misfires in the field. Back to the hunt...

I squared crosshairs on the opposite shoulder of the ram and squeezed....click. *&%$. I rechambered and quickly re-set. Click. My partner was at that time beside my yelling "FIRE! FIRE!" I grabbed his cannon from his hands and the animals had started to move away and were now over 200yds. I peeled off two quick shots but never touched hair. After a thorough search for the animal and sign of a hit, we resigned to a complete miss. We turned to dress the animal we had and saved the regret for later. We had three more days to hunt and we were optimistic.

Well...while hiking down the mountain with the animal, our ceiling dropped again.. and we had wicked wet weather for the next three days. Finally the afternoon of our scheduled pick up the sun broke through and we were able to get another four hours in...but did not see an more rams. We did see a few ewes and lambs.

I really thought I had screwed up with the borrowed rifle. The evening after, I inspected the two misfired cartridges and there clearly were faint pin hits on the primers. I then recalled the earlier misfire. My M88 would of handled that shot with no problem and would not have misfired.

My biz partner found the whole thing kinda funny and I had the nickname "Click" for a couple of weeks after. Turns out, a good cleaning of the gun was needed and I regret not doing this prior to the hunt.

All in all...it was still a great experience! And I will be going back!

Diggs

Last edited by DiggsNWT; 02-13-2009 at 12:17 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 02-13-2009, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the story Diggs, guess you should have taken your .308 'eh.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:43 PM

Thanx for sharing Diggs. We chopper out of the Wells each year and have a blast.....got our butts handed to us last year with an even split between snow and rain.....but no sun

Glad you're taking advantage of living up here.....don't let too many others know about it though

tm
Old 02-13-2009, 01:18 PM

Nice pics and story, thanks, I enjoyed!
Old 02-13-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
Thanks for the story Diggs, guess you should have taken your .308 'eh.
To be sure!!! I am actually been looking to upgrade to a newer rifle. I love my M88 (1957 vintage) and it has been on many a successful hunting trip...from antelope and mulies in South Sask to Elk in east Sask, Whitetails in Northern Sask. and moose, barren and woodland caribou, wood bison and wolves in the NWT!!

I have been watching the forums here for either a BLR 30.06 or WSM 300 or I am thinking of a T3.

Diggs
Old 02-13-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggsNWT View Post
To be sure!!! I am actually been looking to upgrade to a newer rifle. I love my M88 (1957 vintage) and it has been on many a successful hunting trip...from antelope and mulies in South Sask to Elk in east Sask, Whitetails in Northern Sask. and moose, barren and woodland caribou, wood bison and wolves in the NWT!!

I have been watching the forums here for either a BLR 30.06 or WSM 300 or I am thinking of a T3.

Diggs
Nice Dall great story thanks for sharing oh and if you want an opinion on the T3 in 300wsm ask Da Jimmer
Old 02-13-2009, 02:28 PM

Congrats on what sounds like a great hunt Diggs. Thanks for sharing the story.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:28 PM

Great pics...thanks for sharing...

Ram looks to be 6.5 or 7.5 years old?

Last edited by Rackmastr; 02-13-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:46 PM

Thanks for posting, good read and photos. I'm saying' that ram is 6.5? What is a legal ram defined by up there?
"I am fascinated by the wild, rough country sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes." - JOC
Old 02-13-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
What is a legal ram defined by up there?
I was thinking the same thing. Not a very large ram and definetely not full curl like most areas that have to be or a certain age to be legal. I don't say that to get down on the ram because I have always said it doesn't matter the size of the ram to make a good sheep kill. It is the best thing in the world no matter the size. Congrats on a great hunt and hope to hear next years adventure.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:33 PM

3/4 curl is legal in the NT.

Probably the best meat there is.....it was probably still even red.....not that the purple meat out of 10 year old is "bad"

I'm jealous.....got our butz handed to us this year

Fantastic first sheep ........How much for a roast Diggs?????

tm
Old 02-13-2009, 07:44 PM

good story, nice photos, thanks for sharing
Old 02-13-2009, 07:53 PM

great story and pics. I assume you are not an AB resident?
Old 02-14-2009, 04:45 PM

hey diggs ,

what is a self guided trip like thta run a guy .. we are looking for 2011.

thanks mamba
Old 02-14-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
hey diggs ,

thanks mamba
A non-resident cannot self guide a Dall sheep in the NWT
Old 02-14-2009, 05:06 PM

thanks rack,

i was not aware of this !!
Old 02-14-2009, 05:09 PM

No prob....you can bet I'd be up there if it was a possibility!!
Old 02-14-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
A non-resident cannot self guide a Dall sheep in the NWT
True, but ya could come with me and watch me shoot mine....for the price of a seat

Cost is "pretty" minor.

Can be as cheap as a 7hr drive and a floatplane.....Diggs is in Straw Creek so he's only 4hrs away.

I fly commercially to Norman Wells and then chopper out of there. Factor in

$1000 heli
$500 jet
$200 hotel

I don't wanna talk about everything else in case my Wife see's this. Let's just say if I fall off a cliff and break everything I hope I die.

And to think some guys have to pay $15000 to do it

tm
Old 02-14-2009, 06:20 PM

Tundra, what is the length of time required to become a resident hunter up there?
"I am fascinated by the wild, rough country sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes." - JOC
Old 02-14-2009, 06:53 PM

2 years for residency

= per year at $10 each

1 mountain goat
1 dall
1 moose
1 woodland
1 bbear
2 barren-ground
unlimited wolves
unlimited wolverine

Once in a lifetime grizz

bison draw - $25 or $50 if you get drawn
musk-ox draw - $25 or $50 if you get drawn

fishin ain't bad

tm
Old 02-14-2009, 07:12 PM

amen tundra.
i have to say though that i'm a bit jealous of your dall sheep adventures. i've been looking for them in both tungsten and canol trail for years and still have never seen one. although the moose/woodland caribou hunting is superb. my friend downed a 64" moose with 50" pans this year......waited a lifetime for that one. my other friend made book with a 406 5/8 caribou.......more importantly we all had a great time in the mountains. still looking for that dall though
Old 02-15-2009, 08:49 AM

Hey bison......beer one day?....I'll introduce you to Coldredneck.....he's a bit of an azz but not that bad

I've never made the drive all the way around before but have lots of friends that do. A few of them have taken sheep but they usually are there for a couple weeks and spend a bunch of time going back and up.......the moose that come out of there are unreal........and the magical 400 eh.....awesome!!!

We just focus on the sheep when we go although if the right bou or bear steps out it's game over.

If you're ever out the trail swing into Cassidy Pt......I'm the 3rd place on the right. Go passed the 2 huge ones and I'm the little one after that

tm
Old 02-15-2009, 10:00 PM

Default NWT Self guided Dall

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
hey diggs ,

thanks mamba
Yep...resident only on self-guided. Me and my bud put out $1100 each for the Cessna 205 charter in and the Beaver charter out (we coulda fit in a 205 but they were concerned about getting off the lake). Toss in $75 each for gas from Hay River to Devil's Island, some grub, and you have yourself a hunt!

Now...many of your Alberta brethern own the outfitting units up here...you may be able to score a guided hunt for $15k(???).
Old 02-15-2009, 10:03 PM

[QUOTE=Tundra Monkey;266270]True, but ya could come with me and watch me shoot mine....for the price of a seat

x2 here Tundra. Anyone interested in heading out with me for the experience is more than welcome. Cuts down the charter costs too!!! That said...I would love to "tag" along for some Alberta big game hunts too. Any takers??

Diggs
Old 02-15-2009, 10:09 PM

Default Dall meat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
3/4 curl is legal in the NT.

Probably the best meat there is.....it was probably still even red.....not that the purple meat out of 10 year old is "bad"

I'm jealous.....got our butz handed to us this year

Fantastic first sheep ........How much for a roast Diggs?????

tm
The animal was about 8 years old...base circumference was 14" my WO friend reported to me....taper was quite dramatic. Not broomed at all. And actually, in these pics, you cannot tell...but the tips were curled up a fair bit...but very thin! I will try to post up a side view.

The meat was a very nice red and very very tender. Unbelievable flavour. The best wild meat I have yet to have.

Price of a roast...free...too bad you had not asked earlier...I just got back from Yk tonight. I was up coaching our pee-wee team in the hockey tourney since friday afternoon!

Diggs