Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo View Post
Eventually, when a bear eats somebody important enough, that'll be enough bears. Who would you like to see go first?
That Jim Pizzant guy..
LOLOLOLOL

Ok not killed.. but a good beat down wouldnt hurt

Jamie
Old 02-14-2009, 11:43 AM

I believe blacks are destoyed because they can't take my problem to your house. Grizzlies are given a chance and relocated unless they do something extreme or are repeat offenders. The Bergen bear was destroyed and incinerated, so I was told.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino View Post
I believe blacks are destroyed because they can't take my problem to your house. Grizzlies are given a chance and relocated unless they do something extreme or are repeat offenders. The Bergen bear was destroyed and incinerated, so I was told.
The "Canmore" bear, if you will, was indeed a repeat offender. Is that negligence?
Old 02-14-2009, 12:16 PM

I'm not sure about the Canmore bear but the mauling may have been the second offence. Could it be that bears hold a grudge and don't like being handled? The Bergen bear was extremely smart, travelled through heavily populated areas and managed to keep even her cubs out of the traps.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
That Jim Pizzant guy..
LOLOLOLOL

Ok not killed.. but a good beat down wouldnt hurt

Jamie
1. The village idiot in Calgary City who wants me to hire a sidewalk snow shoveler when I go on vacation.

2. The village idiot who wants to ban idling and thinks the haze over Calgary on a clear morning is caused by vehicles and not the Fleischmann's Yeast factory.

3. The Lilliputian city governors in Calgary with the Lilliputian POV's who now want to ban the little memorials at fatal accident sites where the speed limit is above 70km/hr. That would be almost everywhere.

All these "important" types frequent the great outdoors too.

And I thought Dartmouth N.S. was bad when they wanted to ban street hockey. Then came a ridin' Syd 'the kid'! With six-guns a blazin'.

Don't get me goin' on the bears, Jamie!
Old 02-14-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
Can someone please explain something to me? Why would the Alberta Government want to shut down the grizzly hunt and "mislead" people as to the numbers of Grizzlies in Alberta?
Who has a louder/stronger voice? The hunter or the environmentalist? Happen to catch the end result of the Calgary Sun poll on whether or not to classify grizzly bears as endangered? I looked at it halfway thru the day and the vote was leaning heavily towards yes. When it comes to government, they will try their best to appease the majority of the voting public.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I would hate to think by feeding them up high we keep them out of shape for the rigors of living in the mountains.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
Can someone please explain something to me? Why would the Alberta Government want to shut down the grizzly hunt and "mislead" people as to the numbers of Grizzlies in Alberta?
MountainTi hit the nail on the head, they're playing to the loudest voices out there.

And I'm not sure they are trying to deliberatly mislead people on the numbers, but I (and many many others) believe they did a **** poor job counting them.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I believe blacks are destoyed because they can't take my problem to your house. Grizzlies are given a chance and relocated unless they do something extreme or are repeat offenders. The Bergen bear was destroyed and incinerated, so I was told.
In my neck of the woods grizzlies keep the black bear numbers in check. The Fish and wildlife officer was referring to destroying problem grizzlies.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure about the Canmore bear but the mauling may have been the second offence. Could it be that bears hold a grudge and don't like being handled? The Bergen bear was extremely smart, travelled through heavily populated areas and managed to keep even her cubs out of the traps.
Last fall I met a mature fellow who has hunted 316ish for quite some time and he claims to have known the Bergen bear and that it had reputedly at one time charged a fellows pick up, scaring living daylights out of him and then tried climbing in the back as he tore off. He also had reason to question whether it was really the offending bear that was subsequently shot.

I doubt any wild animal likes being handled. Grudges. Well, I'll bet dimes to doughnuts they don't forget it.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:08 PM

Too many are failing to see the 'big picture' here.........

The antis are fully aware that they will never be able to ban hunting. There is simply too much sound biological evidence to support its value. Not to mention the 100's of millions of dollars poured into conservation by outdoorsmen.

Thus, they pick at the edges of our sport. With the grizzlys, they have found their star.

The cancellation of the hunt is the reason I will never support the provincial Tories in their current form again. They let their 'liberal' show. There is probably no safer party to belong to in North America. Why on Earth would this hunt be cancelled? Easy, long ago, liberals realized that there was no way they could get into power under their brand. Thus they infiltrated the Tories. Face it folks, we live under a liberal provincial government here in Alberta.

The antis are using the grizz in conjunction with all the overly hyped contraversy surrounding the abuse of OHVs to shut down vast tracts of public land.

The attitude is, 'If we can't get rid of hunting, lets make acessing hunting areas very nearly impossible'. It is working.

The fact of the matter is that the bear population is probably more vibrant than it has been in years. Antecdotal evidence is just that, but when on this board, you have 100's of accounts saying their are more bears than ever, combined with EXTREMELY poor scientific method applied to the research, you MUST put credence into the antecdotal stuff.

Folks, we are being LIED to on this one. Plain and simple!

Tree
Old 02-14-2009, 08:20 PM

Default Griz

Our bears do not carry our politcal banners. As to who wins or loses we make the choice. And as we all know our choices are not always right. limited hunt no hunt or who the seat warmer in charge of our natural resources making these discissons will be supporting these moves by our governing powers.

Oh ya I hear that the CWD is now being cancelled due to the lack of funding.Way to be guys lets let these sick Deer push back to show us we all were wrong.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:37 PM

Default griz

In my opinion we as hunters, are the root of the problem, because we are far to passive. We as a group are not voicing our opinions to the people who count. we need to be more active, in calling our mla's and biologists. we need more members in our rod&gun clubs.I would bet that only one in 200 hunters belongs to a club or actively participates in one.As hunters we are also conservationists, far more so than the tree huggers, we contribute, more, economicaly ,and otherwize.But we have allowed them to be more powerful because of our silence. It is time we as hunters and sportsman,stood up for our sport, and pleasure,or it will all just be memories of what used to be.Join clubs ,write letters, make phone calls.Make your mla's aware of the amount of money , you as a sportsman pump into the economy year after year,how your keeping your kids off the streets, and participating in a sport they will continue to enjoy for a lifetime.unless the tree huggers take it away from us.Bears are just the start, whats next.The tree huggers don't give a rats ass how many bears there are they already won ,they suspended the season. guys we gotta get more passionette about this, we cant just take a wait and see attitude. Okay thats it wheather I made any sense or not I feel a little better.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:20 PM

Well said Spurly! We do need to make our voices be heard. I would recommend anyone with grizzly sightings Alberta wide to report the sightings to the Willmore Wilderness Foundation, they are doing a grizzly survey based on sightings, they had well over 400 reported last year and will continue the study in 2009. Based on last years survey they believe there is a healthy and increasing population, and will be recommending to the government to re-open the hunt this spring with at least 20 resident tags, and to have a review in two years to see if this number can be increased.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:39 PM

Default griz

they went through the same bs in BC a few years ago,when the hunters and rod&gun clubs spoke up and let it be known how much money is injected into the economy, each year, and how much money and manhours are donated by the clubs and members, not to mention howmany votes they could be losing. The govt. backed off real quick. If there is a study ,it should be on a zone by zone basis, to find out which zones could sustain a hunt. every year we are having more bear human encounters, because we have more bears.thedominant bears take the prime ground sending the young,cranky aggressive bears, into morepopulated, less prime land, ending ina situation neither bear or human is prepared for .all sightings need to be reported, and we need to voice our displeasure with the present situation, and threaten to take our votes elsewhere.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:54 PM

i think the only people that think their endangered are the tree huggers, just like how they think their is a shortage of wolves(i did see less tracks this year i think mange has become a factor in my area). Their has been grizzlies spotted by the crammond hall southeast of caroline.Their is a lot more then people think
Old 02-15-2009, 12:30 AM
Banned

270 man..
As it was explained to me, the bears in coastal Alska, come out of the high mountain top dens, walk down the mountain, have a feed, walk back up the mountain have a nap and this continues for a few weeks.

I know the bears we saw that had just come out of hibernation were moving very slowly and very stiff. The guides explained it as a form of exercise.

So now if we move those thoughts into Alberta, they come out of the high stuff feed down low in the foothills, then head back up for a nap.. So if we are feeding them up high, are we messing with something???

Not saying its true, but it was what I was told by my guides in Alaska.

Jamie