Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: Landowners: Would you allow me to hunt on your land?
Yes...stop by my place and say hello. 7 50.00%
No....keep on driving. 7 50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2009, 05:23 PM

Question Landowners: Would you allow me to hunt on your land?

I have read the thread asking landowners about the proper way to approach them to gain permission. I found the info and opinions in there to be helpful in some cases and incredibly disappointing in others. I firmly believe in respecting the land itself and the landowner's rights...and I think there can be a positive experience for both the hunter and the landowner if there is a healthy mutual respect between both parties. I feel the only way that can happen is through some clear communication. So this is what I have come up with: what if I post a description of what type of hunter I am and see if a landowner would want to contact me to further explore the possibility of me getting permission for their land?

The only reason I am posting this as a separate thread is because:

1) I did not want to "troll" as requested by the original thread starter of the landowner discussion. Fair enough.

2) I think what I am about to do may create a fair amount of discussion...good, bad, or otherwise. Is this a good idea?

So here goes:

I am a 34 year old firefighter from Calgary. I have hunted since I was a teenager and I love to hunt whitetails. I don't have any experience with mule deer since I originally came from Manitoba but I would love to give that a try. I would also love to hunt elk or moose but I currently just don't have the freezer space for that much meat (I'm looking for a stand-up freezer...If you have one for sale, please let me know)!

I love to hunt with my muzzleloader because I love the challenge of getting closer to my game and the skill in making that one shot count. I do believe in a quick, clean kill. I do not believe in blasting away repeatedly at some deer 450 yards away from the hood of my truck as I have seen so many times before with other "hunters". I have not shot a deer that was over 120 yards away. I take hunter and gun safety very seriously and will not pull the trigger unless I am 100% sure of my shot and what is behind it. Even though I really love shooting the M/L, I also will use a .30-06.

I grew up on a cattle farm in Manitoba and I understand how landowners feel when fences are cut, crops are damaged, etc. You will not see that happen with me...count on it.

I am not a trophy hunter but I do like a nice rack like most other people. The meat is just as valuable to me because 'wild' meat is the best there is! There is something to be said for meat that you hunted, cleaned and cooked (or turned into sausage or jerky) yourself.

When I come to your door, I will shake your hand and introduce myself. I will also leave you with a business card with all of my info on it. I will ask for your permission and will tell you basically the same stuff I have said here because I want you to understand what kind of guy I am. I will ask you about yourself and your farming operation and offer a helping hand if need be. If you don't want to give me permission, I'm ok with that...but I will ask you if you could point me in the direction of somewhere that I might get permission. I will thank you for your time and leave.

But if you grant me permission, I will present you a written paper that we can both sign outlining the details of the arrangement....a copy for you and one for me. I will also let you know how the hunt turns out...successful or not. And if I am successful, I will thank you personally and bring a gift (sausages, jerky, a bottle...whatever you would prefer).

That is basically me as a hunter and how I like to operate. I don't honestly think this has to be rocket science...it can easily be done as long as there is simple, clear, and respectful communication from both parties. And once that relationship is established, it can become a thing that you can count on year after year.

I have not pulled the trigger in this province yet (I have lived here for 7 years) because I have been going to hunt on my best friend's farm in Saskatchewan. He loves hunting as much as I do and we look forward to the next season as soon as this one is done. I figure it is time that I experience what Alberta has to offer for hunting but I honestly don't know what areas to start in nor do I know any landowners so I plan to get out there in the spring and start knocking on some doors. Also, if I get permission for elk or moose hunting, I'll at least know what areas to apply for tags in.

As a landowner, is this what you would like to see from a hunter? If this interests you and you have some property where deer are ruining your crops, bales or whatever...please let me know.

I also welcome comments on what you have read...constructive discussion is never a bad thing.

Thanks for reading and good luck.

Last edited by Jack&7; 02-12-2009 at 04:22 PM. Reason: wanted to add: "If you have one for sale, please let me know."
Old 02-10-2009, 06:25 PM

Yes I would give you permission to hunt my land.

You would just need to give me your name and contact number and the date you plan on being there.

For me, it would be that easy.

And the fact you are a fireman doesn't hurt either......
Old 02-10-2009, 06:34 PM

very good resume' I would consider you for permission

Take a kid hunting and see some great smiles
Old 02-10-2009, 07:17 PM

excellent respectful approach... if i had land i'd give you permission...
Old 02-10-2009, 07:28 PM

hunt my land ................. hell I'd let you marry my daughter (if she wasn't already hooked up that is ) ...............
Old 02-10-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw'd View Post
hunt my land ................. hell I'd let you marry my daughter (if she wasn't already hooked up that is ) ...............
now that was funny
Old 02-10-2009, 10:11 PM

Hi Jack good thread

Looks like you are of the same cloth as most of us here on the board. I wish you the best of sucess in find land to hunt on. Seem like you have a good way of talking to people.

I would (for whats its worth) Watch how you show your appreation for being allowed to hunt on others property. Not that we all dont give thanks to thoughs that allow us to hunt on there property. In the REGS there is a clause that states nothing shall be given nor taken for gaining permission to hunt on private lnad. Just giving you a heads up. I do it in ways like help out during hay season or help move crops as well as help load trucks. But these are good friends that I would help anyway but it goes along ways to making the property to hunt just like it was my own.

wish you all the best in gaining as much access as you need

PS I am always up to sharing a hunt on property I have permission on if you need

AL
Old 02-10-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw'd View Post
Now that's funny! I will PM you...but that's it. I'm married already and I don't think I'd want to mess with a Dad named "Outlaw" and I think it's a safe bet that he has guns!

Seriously, I will send you a message and we can talk...I appreciate the reply!
Old 02-10-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholal View Post
Hi Jack good thread

Looks like you are of the same cloth as most of us here on the board. I wish you the best of sucess in find land to hunt on. Seem like you have a good way of talking to people.

I would (for whats its worth) Watch how you show your appreation for being allowed to hunt on others property. Not that we all dont give thanks to thoughs that allow us to hunt on there property. In the REGS there is a clause that states nothing shall be given nor taken for gaining permission to hunt on private lnad. Just giving you a heads up. I do it in ways like help out during hay season or help move crops as well as help load trucks. But these are good friends that I would help anyway but it goes along ways to making the property to hunt just like it was my own.

wish you all the best in gaining as much access as you need

PS I am always up to sharing a hunt on property I have permission on if you need

AL
Al...

I appreciate the compliment and I may just take you up on your offer!

You raise a good point...but I think that is one rule I might be willing to break. I guess just chalk it up to the way I was raised. And trust me: if you showed up with anything else BUT a bottle where I come from, you were asking for it!

I think that is why whenever I talk to the landowner, I will put the option out there and see what they say. Who knows? Maybe they don't drink and they are vegetarians! I know...it's scary to think about.

I'll definitely do some chores, though! I kinda miss that stuff!

Dean
Old 02-13-2009, 12:35 AM

Default Fire Fighter

I honestly didnt know that fire fighters had business cards. My question would be "What for?" If I need you trust me I will find you. 9-1-1. Ha ha just jokes. I think that if all hunters took this approach it would be much easier to find permission!
Old 02-13-2009, 06:17 AM

Location: i have a home in calgary however i live as much of my life as possible in the woods
Default Green zone

It is interesting to see how different aproaches work in different area's. I started a similar thread a few months ago on cgn and was chewed out immediately. It is nice to see hunters and outdoorsmen helping one another out. You can all come hunt my areas- lol all green zone lol. I have always enjoyed my crown land hunts the most. Anyways best of luck to you and if you'd like any info on green zones close to calgary I'd be happy to let up a couple of spots. RH- shoot straight shoot safe
Old 02-13-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertanoutdoorsman View Post
I honestly didnt know that fire fighters had business cards. My question would be "What for?" If I need you trust me I will find you. 9-1-1. Ha ha just jokes. I think that if all hunters took this approach it would be much easier to find permission!
911 is the general info line...my direct line is 912.

Well, regarding your last statement, I was thinking the same thing when I posted it. It seems too many guys have gone out there and done it the 'wrong way' and as a result, all hunters will have a harder time acquiring permission. Already I have heard back from a few good people and they have given me leads that I will follow up. The old saying rings true: catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar. If you're a decent guy, permission shouldn't be that hard to get. Thanks for your response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelhooker View Post
It is interesting to see how different aproaches work in different area's. I started a similar thread a few months ago on cgn and was chewed out immediately. It is nice to see hunters and outdoorsmen helping one another out. You can all come hunt my areas- lol all green zone lol. I have always enjoyed my crown land hunts the most. Anyways best of luck to you and if you'd like any info on green zones close to calgary I'd be happy to let up a couple of spots. RH- shoot straight shoot safe
That is interesting! What was the logic behind your getting "chewed out"? I am also a member on the CGN board and I find that surprising. Whew...I'm glad I posted here instead! You are correct...it is nice to see everyone helping each other out. There are a bunch of good people on here. People who genuinely care about hunting and the outdoors in general...and I am glad that is the case. I don't know about the rest of you, but sometimes I think hunting is on the decline. In some circles, it is socially taboo. I have great 'discussions' with people who criticize me for hunting and I spend a great amount of time explaining how what we all do is actually helping wildlife as opposed to hurting it. It's a point that many can't seem to grasp.

Thanks for your offer. Please PM me if you have some info to share. I'm all ears.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholal View Post
Watch how you show your appreation for being allowed to hunt on others property. Not that we all dont give thanks to thoughs that allow us to hunt on there property. In the REGS there is a clause that states nothing shall be given nor taken for gaining permission to hunt on private lnad.
Yes, you have to be careful with that. I always give a gift (not cash) at the end of the season to those who have allowed me to hunt on their land as a token of my appreciation. But I don't tell them I'm going to do that when I first ask permission. It's not a deal or a trade.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:42 AM

Well Jack,

I would probably give you permission if I owned land. However with that said, I had the time to read your letter. I would try and shorten it up, these guys are busy and probably would stop reading half way through it. Similar to junk mail.

I do not mean any offense, just trying to help ya out. If I lived in Calgary I would invite ya myself, but since you are probably a flames fan you are not welcome. . Just kidding!

Trev
Old 02-13-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Yes, you have to be careful with that. I always give a gift (not cash) at the end of the season to those who have allowed me to hunt on their land as a token of my appreciation. But I don't tell them I'm going to do that when I first ask permission. It's not a deal or a trade.
I guess I should've made that clear in my original post. I wouldn't state that I will be bringing a gift (whatever it is) up front. It's just something I would do when all is said and done...just to show appreciation. And I wouldn't take offense if the landowner refused it either for fears of it being deemed inappropriate. I honestly think that clause was put in there to prevent the exchange of cash for permission. Yet, we are starting to see the beginnings of that very thing with the whole "paid hunting" debate that you can read in other posts. Thanks for the comment.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_N_Wide View Post
Well Jack,

I would probably give you permission if I owned land. However with that said, I had the time to read your letter. I would try and shorten it up, these guys are busy and probably would stop reading half way through it. Similar to junk mail.

I do not mean any offense, just trying to help ya out. If I lived in Calgary I would invite ya myself, but since you are probably a flames fan you are not welcome. . Just kidding!

Trev
Trev...

Good point...and no offense taken (even if you are an Oilers fan) heh heh.

I think I will condense things down to a point form that covers the meat and potatoes.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Jack&7; 02-13-2009 at 03:28 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 02-13-2009, 06:11 PM

Default Good Post

Excellent Post Jack. When I was living in Alberta I would go out in the summer and volunteer my time to fix fences for the opportunity to hunt on their land. Alot of landowners looked at me in dismay and appreciated the offer but was usually not necessary. I would also get their number and call a couple of days in advance before I would go hunt to confirm permission. During dry seasons changes things and you can understand the farmers concerns. Had to move to BC for work but sure miss the hospitality of the Alberta people and the amount of game. I like your idea and may try a similar post for the one week Saskatchewan whitetail season.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:32 PM

myself, and a lot of other farmers/landowners are proud and busy people. all you would have to do is call the night before and ask. if you were in the area midday come stop by the house. no need to ask to help with chores (we have too much pride) or stop by first thing in the morning. just my opinion.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer01 View Post
Excellent Post Jack.
Thank you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by berjerkin View Post
myself, and a lot of other farmers/landowners are proud and busy people. all you would have to do is call the night before and ask. if you were in the area midday come stop by the house. no need to ask to help with chores (we have too much pride) or stop by first thing in the morning. just my opinion.
First of all....I love the avatar you have. Where did you find that?

Second...interesting perspective. I never really thought that my offer of assistance could be looked upon as an insult. As I said before, I grew up on a farm and I kinda miss doing stuff like that, so I guess that's why I would offer the help. Plus, it gives the owner a chance to get to know me and see what I'm about. But I guess it shows that what may work for some people won't work for others. I'll just try to "feel out" the situation when I get to it.

Thanks for the input..
Old 02-16-2009, 09:56 PM
csummer79

[QUOTE=berjerkin;265648]myself, and a lot of other farmers/landowners are proud and busy people. all you would have to do is call the night before and ask. if you were in the area midday come stop by the house. no need to ask to help with chores (we have too much pride) or stop by first thing in the morning. just my opinion.[/QUOTE
Old 02-16-2009, 09:59 PM
csummer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by okotokian View Post
yes, you have to be careful with that. I always give a gift (not cash) at the end of the season to those who have allowed me to hunt on their land as a token of my appreciation. But i don't tell them i'm going to do that when i first ask permission. It's not a deal or a trade.
dont forget about the kneepads