Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-03-2009, 06:09 PM

Default Trail Cam Owners

I was just wondering if some of you trail cam owners could take a minute and list some of the pro's and cons of the models you have had experience with. I am looking to pick one up soon and would like some help before the big purchase.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2009, 06:28 PM

I have a moultrie one. Not sure what one it is though. Was $150.00 at cabela's. It seems to work alright. But takes 6 D cell batteries, so the cold weather takes its toll on them. Guess I can't really complain about it.

Last edited by Rust; 02-03-2009 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 02-03-2009, 07:16 PM

I started with a 1 megapixel moultrie cheapo and it sucks. Learned to make my own for a fraction the cost of most these days and they have way better battery and picture quality and it is fun to make.
If you wan to know what to buy then check out
Chasin game forum
http://www.chasingame.com/forum/index.php
It will give you the info you want.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:01 PM

Stealth cams are all good imo...I have 4 of 'em i have 2 moultrie cheapies 150 bucks....And the winner is....The Cuddeback Xpert Great trail cams...

Hope this helps

CP
"If it gobbles, quacks, bugles or grunts, chances are I’ve chased it more than a time or two. Droppin’ the hammer and closin’ the coffin on anything with antlers, feathers or fur just never gets old."
Micheal Waddell....... just a cool cat IMO

"there is more fun in hunting with the handi cap of a bow than the sureness of a gun."
Fred Bear........ probobly the greatest hunter to ever live, definately the most respected.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:48 PM

I have one camera and its a Scoutguard 550 I got for Christmas and I haven't had any problems so far. I did a bunch of research before I put it on the Christmas list. Its probably one of the best out there for battery life, mine went for 1500+ photos (elk, deer, some birds and a marten) with some temps. in the -30's before I changed the batteries although I think they still had some juice left in them. They cost about $300 and have a 1 second trigger time. So far I'm real happy with it.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:50 AM

Thanks alot guys, website was a big help too.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:59 AM

Chasinggame is the best source of info out there. Check out the complaints on the Cuddeback's. Impressive in the volume of unhappy users.
I run about 12 cams, I used Stealthcams quite a bit, they were okay for the money, but they started giving trouble after two seasons.
I switched to Buckeye Cam's and I have been totally impressed. Large rechargable battery, 1/15 of a second trigger time, customer service is unreal, plus with the new Buckeye, there is absolutely no flash or red glow. You can't tell its on unless you open up the case. Good for stealthy photos of poachers. Plus no flash or glow to spook game, I got more mature deer when I switched over to the new cams.
Just my opinion
Old 02-13-2009, 08:48 AM

chasingame site is a great site. Convinced me to order a couple reconyx, they are fast, and they look really well bult. I have a cuddy no flash, used it all last yr, about 3000 pics on a set of batteries, less in the cold (-20), but it worked really good. The cuddy was expensive, and the reconyx are a bit less, and they are consistently used as the model to compare others too. Currently setting up a bushnell and the reconyx together to test them in the office. If you are an inspector gadget type, you might want to build your own. Probably is a thread with pics from different cameras, if not maybe we should start it.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:24 AM

first test, bushnell trail sentry took 64 pics, Reconyx took 900pics. Reconyx is black and white pics, bushnell is color. Both take good pics. More testing to come.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:37 PM

I got a Scoutguard 550 for Christmas as well. I have had good luck with it so far. Got lots of deer and coyote pictures. I heard that lithium batteries work good in cold so tried them. They lasted about a week in -10 - -30C weather (took lots of video, so figured it was hard on batteries). The batteries still have juice, but don't seem to work as well under -15C anymore. I had the camera set to take 50 sec of video every time it was triggered.

I see they have an advertising link on top of the Buy/Sell Forum page if you want to check them out. Looks like they have a new model SG550V that allows you to view the pictures on the camera.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:07 AM

I've got a Moultrie 6 meg, I get alot of pictures of animals either staring at the camera or running away. When I set the camera out in the trees in front of my home I can see the light bar glowing every time it tries to take a picture.