Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 07-31-2010, 10:17 PM

Default Rats

Wondering what time of year most of you start trapping muskrats? Also any info on good sets, whats the best way to trap them?
Old 07-31-2010, 11:14 PM
Banned

Probably the best thing for you to do, is contact the ATA in Westlock and have them send you their Trapper Ed Manual. You will have all the info you need and more..
Old 08-01-2010, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird1980 View Post
Wondering what time of year most of you start trapping muskrats? Also any info on good sets, whats the best way to trap them?
Hey Bird1980, welcome to the forum.

When I trapped, I averaged 60-70 of them a year and they were my main staple. 110 conibears were the weapon of choice.

The sets were nothing spetacular. Usually on runs, den entrances or funnel points. However, I had two tricks up my sleeve that were unbelievably productive.

The first, was by using 1"X1" wire mesh to roll into a tube about 48" in length and 18" in diameter. Both ends were finished with mesh funnels, and it was placed underwater in some of those really narrow marsh streams. Vertically placed sticks were sometimes used to direct the 'rats toward the funnel, and obviously a horizontal obstruction on the surface forcing them to dive was needed as well. My best morning had five drowned 'rats in there.

My other trick came from finding a bit of a honey hole that was really difficult to conventionally trap. Brush right to the waterline, really soft bottom with water too deep to wade out in to get at the den entrances.

What I did was cut a pair of 8" diameter logs to 4' in length. I set them the distance of a 110 apart and nailed a board in the middle that did not overlap the sides. I then flipped this thing over and nailed a further two boards at either end.

Once flipped back, I did the three finish nail thing to secure set 110's at either end. You now have a 'death raft'!

Float the bugger out and anchor it. Place bait (apples worked best) on the middle board and collect your 'rats the next day. The conibears will be partially submerged and they will take the route of least resistance. Just place 'em back a bit so the 'rats can climb onto the board and really become engaged. Works like a charm!

Good luck!
Old 08-01-2010, 08:15 AM

OK, but what about RECIPES??!! We have some in our freezer that I am supposed to cook up for a friend of ours who heard that they are quite a delicacy... Do they benefit from a slow braise or are they tender little guys??

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 08-01-2010, 10:33 AM

Default rat food

Thanks for the tips treeguy, I'll give them a try. Recipes for rat I don't know about that one. Do people really eat them.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:18 PM

Default rats

my dad is a trapper he is 73 and yes the muskrat is very good to eat most are very tender the meat is like rabbit only more moist .good fried ,baked in oven or in slow cooker only don't over cook not much fat on them....