Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-12-2009, 05:34 PM

Default Large Elk with Heisler Alberta Connection?

A few years ago (approx. 10 yrs) a gentleman took a large bull elk in the Heisler area or he was from Heisler, AB? I recently was discussing with someone who was formerly from Heisler, AB and they don't believe me and of course I can't find any information. If anyone knows the name of the hunter or details on the elk that was taken it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:18 PM

That was Brent Kuntz 414 5/8'' archery bull there as a pic it in the AO Record Book. I had the privlege of seeing his bull and meeting Brent, seeing that bull up close is unreal, the bases are HUGE I couldn't get two hands around them.

Last edited by steve; 02-12-2009 at 09:24 PM. Reason: not 418
Old 02-12-2009, 06:26 PM

Brent Kuntz
September 4, 2002
414 5/8

This was one big elk. I remember holding the antlers at a local archery shop. That itself was a job and a half.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 02-12-2009, 09:21 PM

pope and young has the record listed at 412, this elk is 414 typical according to the record book section on AO. So this would be a world record, was it not registered? Must be missing something...
Old 02-12-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowchaser View Post
pope and young has the record listed at 412, this elk is 414 typical according to the record book section on AO. So this would be a world record, was it not registered? Must be missing something...
I was told there was some American politics involved on how a point was scored....
Old 02-12-2009, 09:56 PM

American politics and scoring elk, I know all about that!!
Old 02-12-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
American politics and scoring elk, I know all about that!!
Care to elaborate? Sounds like this could be interesting.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
Care to elaborate? Sounds like this could be interesting.
Thats about all I know. He mentioned to me that it wasn't the world record because of american politics. I'm thinking it was the P&Y panel?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:41 PM

I should just keep my mouth shut, I am in the middle of a scoring review, one day "it might be typical" and then maybe " it's probably non typ". So much for the saying " It is what it is" oh I wish it that was true!! I don't really care one way or the other anyway, I just find it kind of funny that's all.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
I should just keep my mouth shut, I am in the middle of a scoring review, one day "it might be typical" and then maybe " it's probably non typ". So much for the saying " It is what it is" oh I wish it that was true!! I don't really care one way or the other anyway, I just find it kind of funny that's all.
well seeings how you went this far..... is posting a pic to much? please
Old 02-12-2009, 10:59 PM

Yes the elk has been registered.
It has been scored by numerous people. With scores ranging from 422-414.
I was there the first time that some of the B&C boys scored it. If my memory is correct it came out at 421....? When it finally got to the final panel in the US it scored much lower than the first scores.
Of course there is the conspiracy theory that the guys from the US didn't want a new record coming from Canada so they scored against it. They claim that there was some discrepancies as to where some of the abnormal point measurements started from. Maybe it was a US vs. Canadian thing, but my money is on the way it was measured.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 02-13-2009, 07:24 PM

Default Hi guys

Do you know what is the average size in b&c points for alberta's elk? I do n't live in canada but wish to hunt alberta soon.
Saludos!!!
Old 02-13-2009, 07:49 PM

I just checked the Pope & Young records book. The record book is wrong on the Alberta Outdoorsmen page. Brent's bull scored 397" typical, and 414" Non typical. The Alberta record and Canada's record for the largest typical archery bull elk is 402 5/8" harvested by Will Huppertz. Shawn Patterson holds the world record at 412".
Old 02-15-2009, 08:19 AM

Default elk

You whated to know about the elk well Im the guy ,the record you said from shawn paterrsen was entered in the typical catigory 20 years ago and was bought by outfitters and rentered in non typical ,my bull was scored and was put back in the crate just when I was ready to go they had to rescore dont know why but after I knew .I got to be good friends with the head outfitter at three forks ranch in the states and was told the story there was no way any canadians were going to win right from the horses mouth money talks its the same year with the zaft buck and a fellow from brooks with a antilope three word records from alta there goes a lot of income for the yanks. And they were so kind in leafing the pencal marks on the horns ,had it rescored three times back in canada and it was the origanal score 422/5/8. I wont ever enter a nother animal again .There was a big right up in kings world about it ,why the politics give the animal the greatness it diserves regard less where the person is from
Old 02-15-2009, 09:20 AM

Hey Brent good to hear from you. Unfortunately most of what Brent has posted seems to have some merit. The only thing is your thinking of a different bull that they pulled out to try to beat your score. Shawn Patterson just harvested his bull a couple of years ago and it's registered in the typical category. Most bulls, whether they are from north or south of the border get nocked down in score when scored by the P&Y pannel. Chuck Adams bull went from 412" to 399" even though the B&C pannel scored it at 412" It is unfortunate that politics MAY play a part in some of the scoring of these trophies.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:41 AM

so were all the judging panel Americans?
Old 02-15-2009, 09:52 AM

Default elk

Im sorry I thought that was the owner of the horns I was thinking of ,and yes they were all americans. Our guys up here go by what the p and y say down there so thats why its 414 and change. I wish canada would have its own book

Last edited by cooter 1; 02-15-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:11 AM

Brent, those that know you and know of your elk, know that you held the world record for non-typ elk for a couple of years. You get to look at one of the largest elk every harvested with a bow every day, and you have memories that 99% of hunters will never get to experience. You didn't get the recognition that you deserved, but they can't take the experience and the elk away.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:48 AM

Where was this bull taken? Was it taken near Heisler or was Brent Kuntz from Heisler?
Thanks.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:37 PM

Brent's bull is an amazing bull. So sad that all that BS had to come into play.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 02-17-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Brent's bull is an amazing bull. So sad that all that BS had to come into play.
x2. Makes me not want to join those clubs.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
x2. Makes me not want to join those clubs.
X3
Old 02-17-2009, 01:36 PM

Just a curious thought but why don't we as canadians start our own book. Screw the american and their politics. Bring hunting back to what it used to be without all the BS politics.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 02-17-2009, 09:30 PM

I met you Brent at your cousin Red's Place down by the Battle River a few years back. As i recall you harvest a good Bull almost every year.?
You had shot a nice 6 point Bull and found an old arrow and broadhead inside the ribcage that this bull had been carrying for at least a year.

Anyway thats a Smokin bug Bull !! I remember you winning the Biggest Elk on the back of the Alberta Hunting Regs.

Cheers
Old 02-17-2009, 09:55 PM

I hunt with Brent and yes that is a big bull, he also has another bull that scores over 370. I can not remember what the exact score was. He isn't making it easy for me to try and compete with him, but it sure is fun. I can't wait till bow season.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:33 AM

i think the best thing that we as canadians can do is boysott the americans and their" everything for a dollar" mentality. no matter the size do not enter it. have it scored by an official scorer and leave it at that. sooner or later they may just ask themselves why all the big animals from canada are not being entered. it will take something like that for them to pull their head out of their asses. in the mean time they can continue food plotting their miniature deer in hopes of growing something that roams wild and free here in alberta.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:18 PM

If I do ever get lucky and shoot something that big it will be scored in Alberta and that will be as far as it will go.