Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-18-2009, 10:51 PM

Question filming hunts?

hey, im looking to get into filiming my hunts for the 2009 season and before i purchase a camera i was wondering if very many guys out there are filiming their own hunts?

if so i was wondering if there are certain things to look for in a camera? i was thinkin zoom might be an issue?

and i guess i should also ask if i can even attempt to film my hunts in hopes of only spending about 5 or 600 bucks on a camera?

thanks in advance

Robb
Old 02-18-2009, 10:54 PM

www.huntingfootage.com

site that shows and shares other peoples self video hunts and experiances, as well as some professional opinions
Old 02-19-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbman View Post
hey, im looking to get into filiming my hunts for the 2009 season and before i purchase a camera i was wondering if very many guys out there are filiming their own hunts?

if so i was wondering if there are certain things to look for in a camera? i was thinkin zoom might be an issue?

and i guess i should also ask if i can even attempt to film my hunts in hopes of only spending about 5 or 600 bucks on a camera?

thanks in advance

Robb
If you are looking to film them for your own personal collection then a 500 vid cam will work.If your looking at making a videos to sell then you will need a more exspensive one i would imagine. Lots of the film crew for hunting shows are useing the Canon Gl2...it is around 3 Grand...
Old 02-19-2009, 10:16 AM

Hi Robbman, I've filmed a lot of our hunts with a Canon Optura 60. It's small enough to fit into my jacket pocket, yet still takes pretty good video. I would recommend using a decent tripod as well, as I tend to get a little shaky when a rutting bull moose is closing in. Image stabilization would be a must for any hand held video. I would recommend a camera that uses Mini DV tapes for the best quality, however I have not used any of the cameras with a hard drive for storage. Also, you will need a camera that gives you the ability to focus manually, otherwise, auto focus tends to focus on things like branches, and not necessarily your subject. Mac and PC both come with basic video editing software included. I've just recently upgraded to a more serious HD camera, but you can get some pretty decent small HD cameras in the $1000 range. Here are some videos shot with the Canon Optura 60:
http://www.HuntingFootage.com/showga...00/ppuser/2020
Old 02-19-2009, 10:22 AM

If your looking just for yorself with no editing then get a mini dvd camera you can finilize them on the camera an ds poip right into your dvd player, if you want to produce at all then a hdd camera for around 1200 will give you great quality, and easy to upload, but for tv quality a mini dv camera uses mini dv tapes a Canon Gl2 is about the lowest end Id go with, and the best prices out of the states, Try http://www.campbellcameras.com/ on the web they sell packages for a good cost .
Old 02-19-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
If you are looking to film them for your own personal collection then a 500 vid cam will work.If your looking at making a videos to sell then you will need a more exspensive one i would imagine. Lots of the film crew for hunting shows are useing the Canon Gl2...it is around 3 Grand...
Good recommendation but most of us in TV have moved on to HD and the Canon XH1 the HD version of the GL2. In addition to the HD format it has great audio control and versatility in peripheral add ons like mics.