Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-15-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonhunter View Post
amen tundra.
i have to say though that i'm a bit jealous of your dall sheep adventures. i've been looking for them in both tungsten and canol trail for years
Bison,
I have taken moose and caribou out of Tungsten too. I have yet to hit Canol. Last summer, I went to Tungsten for two week in late July/early Aug with my two sons. I took them there for the experience before the area is ripped apart for those approved roads! We had Dall tags so did some looking. We went North to Steel river and then glassed near that slide area. We camped down at the washed out Steel River bridge for a night. The water was too high to continue across the Steel. The two boys had a great time!!! Could not believe where the "old man" would take a quad!!

I think a small jet boat is the way to go at Tungsten for Dall. I would put in at the old ranger station and jet the Little Nahanni and its feeders. I have just the boat too!

I would also like to run the North Nahanni with a jet. You can get Dall back there too. In fact, we spotted some dall on the way out of our dall camp this summer.

Wanna make a plan??

Diggs
Old 02-16-2009, 02:45 PM

Hey Diggs : Wow , wouldn't you go figure eh. My daughter was on the YK Boston Pizza Pee Wee team in the same tourney. Too bad I didnt know you were there , would have definately bought ya a beer and traded stories. If your up this way again let me or Tundra Monkey know, maybe Bisonhunter would like to join in too.
Already planning our trip west of the Wells for Dalls this July.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Now let me tell you about my firearm. I have a Model88 .308 and everyone told me that it was not the right rifle to hunt sheep. So...after much debate, I was convinced to take my business partner's Mannlicher Model M 7x64. I had shot his rifle the fall before and found it to be accurate for me. What I did not recall was during a woodland caribou hunt in January 08, he had several misfires in the field. Back to the hunt...

Wow what a great story! But I betcha you know what I think about not using your trusty 88.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m88.358wn View Post
But I betcha you know what I think about not using your trusty 88.
Hmmmm....I have no idea what you would think, M88.358wn!!! But I could guess....

If I was double jointed in the hips and knees, I'd still be kicking my ass!

Diggs
Old 02-16-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldredneck View Post
Hey Diggs : Wow , wouldn't you go figure eh. My daughter was on the YK Boston Pizza Pee Wee team in the same tourney. Too bad I didnt know you were there , would have definately bought ya a beer and traded stories. If your up this way again let me or Tundra Monkey know, maybe Bisonhunter would like to join in too.
Already planning our trip west of the Wells for Dalls this July.
OK...my team played an exciting team against BP on Saturday (we lost 6-5) and then my son was picked up to play D for the other Hay team on Sunday morning at 8 am...another close one right down to the wire, only Hay came out on top in that one.

Up here in the NWT, the saying "its a small world" applies often!

Diggs
Old 02-17-2009, 02:03 AM

There was talk about closing the Canol to Quads and such...did this happen last season? There was a pile of NWT residents in the west end the last few years and lots of moose were taken. Could make for some poor hunting if you are looking for a big bull.
Can't agree more about that Dall's meat!! If you get the chance try cooking it on a rock. Get a nice thin flat rock and put it on your back pack stove. Stay away from it while it gets good and hot. The first couple of chops will stick a bit and then it's good to go. Salt and pepper to taste and don't be suprised by how much you WILL eat. Is it sheep season yet??