Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-13-2009, 09:32 PM

Default Hunting Outfit

Who eles has thought it would be neet to run a hunting outfit?
http://www.harrymccowan.com/
Old 02-13-2009, 09:47 PM

I think it would be awesome
Old 02-13-2009, 10:05 PM

Yep definatly a dream of mine...

The economy the way it is you'll see a few changes for sure....
Old 02-13-2009, 10:18 PM

Already got my own and I love it. Take 70+ guys a year and have made some great friends. Made some good money and been given a lot of cool equipment. Killed a lot of critters.
It is an interesting question as well by the way because a lot of people on this forum sure hate outfitters and guides yet I am sure they would love to be doing it themselves.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:37 PM

Nube
Can you tell me more about getting started in the outfitting business?
I have never guided but it have been a dream of mine for a while.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:44 PM

Its a good time you learn lots and meet lots of interesting guys, but it doesnt pay enough starting off, for me to mile up a truck and spend your hunting season not doing any hunting yourself. Check out the APOS website last time I was there I saw a guides wanted section.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:49 PM

Question Outtfitters

Hey Nube Not All Outfitters are Hated Just The Ones That Consatly Break The Rules And **** All the regular Hunters off In My Area La to Two hills Some Of the Outfitters Figure The Are Above the Law Just there to rape And pillage For Money These ones Are hated But the good Ones seem to be few And Far bettween Just My toughts And Experiance On The Outfitter Issues
Old 02-14-2009, 08:23 AM

Not in my wildest dreams have I ever considered being an outfitter. I love to hunt and fish and have found away to make my living that gives me about 8 months a year to do what I want. What I don't want is having some turd complain about anything to do with my hunting, cooking or choice of what I want to do on any particular day. I also don't want my name associated with apos as that has a tendency to lose you a lot of land to hunt on around here.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:31 AM

HAwken, you can contact APOS and they will give you the run down of it all if you are serious. If you are from the U.S then it won't happen and have to be Canadian here in Alberta I believe.

Quote:
Hey Nube Not All Outfitters are Hated Just The Ones That Consatly Break The Rules And **** All the regular Hunters off In My Area La to Two hills Some Of the Outfitters Figure The Are Above the Law Just there to rape And pillage For Money These ones Are hated But the good Ones seem to be few And Far bettween Just My toughts And Experiance On The Outfitter Issues
I believe that most Residents don't like the outfitting industry and I can fully understand why for a few reasons. The problem is that people blame the outfitters all the time when in fact it is mostly the guides that the Residents have to deal with. It is really hard to find a decent guide with a good attitude and had good hunting skills. If I could find a good guide every year then it would save me a ton of problems. I have been lucky and have had some good ones and I have also had guides that have run clients off and ticked off farmers. It all comes back to me in the end but you can not control it all.

STEVE- I would say that it pays pretty good depending on what you get yourself into and what you know.
I use to guide for bears in Gunslingers area before he ever got up there for about 5 or 6 years. I had to drive my truck up there and then it was all on a quad after that. I got fed and had a place to sleep. Didn't spend a dime. Got decent tips of $300-1000 each from 2 hunters per week plus a weekly payment. More money than most jobs. It was very long stinky hours but I also enjoyed it.
Whitetail camp is a breeze if you are prepared. All a guy need to do is know the area well and have some landowner connections. I guided the same zone for 8+ years and had about 8 stand locations where guys would constantly see deer and they were confortable even when it was cold out. I would take the guy to stand in the morning till about 10:30 am and then would pick the guy up around then or a little later. Then I would go rattle or do bush pushes for a couple hours and eat a bag lunch and then kick him out to a stand for the last few hours in the evening. As long as you have spots that are going to show the client deer and have some decent stands and work with the clients around slow times in the afternoon and mix things up what more can they ask for? This way is easy on the truck and you don't have to drive them all over the place. Tips are usually good and have been given Leica scopes, leica Rangefinders and tips as big as $1500. I think it is good money and do it when I have time. I have not done it in years as a guid but will do it again sometime. You could even doa week or 2 and then use the oney to pay for your whole years worth of hunting for yourself.
The one thing is that if you are not prepared and have not done your homework it is high stress. Be prepared and there are no problems
Old 02-14-2009, 11:39 AM

Its defintely a dream...i'm in the process right now. hard to start out....
Old 02-14-2009, 04:27 PM

hey guys ,

just wondering if anyone has guided in the N.W.T. As i am seriously thinking of going up there this year . I don t want to guide , just really intrested in learning and being a part of the of that whole situation . I really want to learn everything thing that is included in those camps , I think it would really be an experiance of a lifetime .. Your thoughts??
Old 02-14-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
hey guys ,

just wondering if anyone has guided in the N.W.T. As i am seriously thinking of going up there this year . I don t want to guide , just really intrested in learning and being a part of the of that whole situation . I really want to learn everything thing that is included in those camps , I think it would really be an experiance of a lifetime .. Your thoughts??
Plenty of guys looking for wranglers and guys to work in camp up there if you start getting your name out. Lots of guys looking for guides as well if you keep your ears open.

As well, lots of guys in BC and Yukon looking for guys if you're looking for work in a remote hunting camp somewhere.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
hey guys ,

If you are serious about this I would start to look into it now. I bet this year it will be easier for the outfits to find guides, camp help, packers, etc..

I spent 2 years in the Mackenzie mountains guiding sheep hunts and it was a great experience.

http://www.huntnwt.com/nwt.html
Old 02-14-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDraw View Post
If you are serious about this I would start to look into it now. I bet this year it will be easier for the outfits to find guides, camp help, packers, etc..
Yep this year will be the opposite from the last couple years when guys were screaming for guides, etc. This year lots of guys lookin for any jobs so outfitters shouldnt have any problems filling jobs up.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:10 PM

thanks guys ,

appreciate all the info , sorry scotty if I hi jacked your thread didn t mean too!!
Old 02-14-2009, 05:37 PM

I have spent over 20 years guiding for a few outfitters in BC. I have found that most BC. outfitters love to hire Alberta our other out of provance guides, this way when the guide has had enough of guideing he can not go back and hunt his area as easy.... if i were you i would look into working for a back country outfit, there is something about truck hunting that just dose not do it for me...... good luck and have fun...

Jim
Old 02-14-2009, 09:21 PM

Thumbs up Agreed

I believe that most Residents don't like the outfitting industry and I can fully understand why for a few reasons. The problem is that people blame the outfitters all the time when in fact it is mostly the guides that the Residents have to deal with. It is really hard to find a decent guide with a good attitude and had good hunting skills. If I could find a good guide every year then it would save me a ton of problems. I have been lucky and have had some good ones and I have also had guides that have run clients off and ticked off farmers. It all comes back to me in the end but you can not control it all.

ya i would agree with that statement But I Also think Some Of the Outfitters Are To blame for Hireing loose canons like that
Old 02-15-2009, 12:20 PM

Yes I would agree with Nube it is a great my wife and I have run an outfitting business for 6 years now and I love it. We take over 100 plus hunters, friends, and clients a year and 99% say that we dont relize what we have here compared to where they live and hunt. It can very rewarding and challenging at times. If you are prepared for your clients then everything goes great if your not it is a nightmare.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:

ya i would agree with that statement But I Also think Some Of the Outfitters Are To blame for Hireing loose canons like that
Very well said,but part of the reason for the negative image of outfitting held by some people is the fact that APOS continues to allow members that have been convicted of criminal offenses,as well as wildlife act offenses.If APOS tossed these people out,and their allocations were revoked,the image of outfitting in Alberta would be much more positive.
I have friends that are outfitters,as well as being good people,and they are not happy to be in any way associated with convicted criminals and poachers.