Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-24-2016, 07:53 PM

Default HELP - Wall Tent Stove Issues

We can't solve our stove.

This past weekend we got smoked-out numerous times. Thankfully we brought a back-up stove that friends use in their tent. See attached picture of our set-up...

- the pipe is 5"...which we've learned is uncommon. 6" is standard.
- every time we open the door of the stove, smoke billows out as if there is no draft pulling it up the pipe.
- fires have a hard time burning consistently.
- once outside the tent, we have about 3-4 feet of pipe vertical.
- there is no flange on the back of the stove that a pipe fits snug over....instead we have to insert a crimped elbow into the stove hole the best we can. (possibly the biggest issue?)

Any experts out there that see obvious issues with our set-up and can troubleshoot? Help is appreciated guys. Feel free to PM.

Fwee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2972.jpg (73.9 KB, 599 views)
Old 10-24-2016, 08:01 PM

Do you have a tan cap on it.
The reason I'm asking is I showed up at my sons camp and he had the same issue and I found the spark arrester was pluged almost solid.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:02 PM

Or you may not have enough or not enough stove pipe

You need a taller rise- more like 8 feet or more to get it to draw correctly.

Default stove pipe

the biggest thing is to make sure the pipe stack is above top of tent
Old 10-24-2016, 08:11 PM

5 inch pipe doesn't draw as well, but should be fine. Ours is 5 inch also and we run into the issue occasionally.

Is the stove pipe clogged (or spark arrestor like previous poster mentioned), or chimney damper closed? Also, restriction from the front air vent can cause that problem.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:20 PM

You need bare minimum twice the verticle as horizontal pipe. I have to clean my spark arrestor every three days. Weld in a 6 inch stub so you can run the big pipe close uour fresh air inlet and open the damper before opening your door.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:31 PM
Banned

Pretty sure that it's because of the two 90 degree bends in the chimney and the gases are cooling off too much for them to cause an upward draft. Replacing them with two 45 degree bends (one at stove and one outside the tent) should fix the problem. Google search "chimney pipe bends" or something along that lines.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:09 PM

I have the same stove that i put in my ice hut i built, i bought a 5" to 6" adapter to run 6" pipe right from the stove and went straight up through the roof with the damper at the 4.5 to 5 foot mark in the pipe up from the stove, the stove does not have a spark arrestor but as a couple of guys have mentioned i also think the 5" pipe is causing you grief especially with the 2 90 degree elbows. i think its not drawing up the stack enough (restricting the exhaust for the amount of intake).I think 45's should help. Have also seen other side applications like that where they com through the side of the tent at an angle upwards which would help the draw up the stack so it doesn't have to come through the wall horizontally.
Regardless of the overwhelming odds or obstacles in your path,
you always have an opportunity to overcome.
It is your attitude that will determine the outcome.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:06 PM

Umm I am no expert...but shouldn't that pipe be running vertical? Looks to me like the horizontal section is your problem....just a shot in the dark here.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:30 PM

On a side note get rid of those galvanized 90s you got on there. The flue gases are too hot for galv and you don't want to be breathing the smoke that will be coming off of them. You need to get yourself some black 90s made for a wood burning stove.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwee6 View Post
We can't solve our stove.

This past weekend we got smoked-out numerous times. Thankfully we brought a back-up stove that friends use in their tent. See attached picture of our set-up...

- the pipe is 5"...which we've learned is uncommon. 6" is standard.
- every time we open the door of the stove, smoke billows out as if there is no draft pulling it up the pipe.
- fires have a hard time burning consistently.
- once outside the tent, we have about 3-4 feet of pipe vertical.
- there is no flange on the back of the stove that a pipe fits snug over....instead we have to insert a crimped elbow into the stove hole the best we can. (possibly the biggest issue?)

Any experts out there that see obvious issues with our set-up and can troubleshoot? Help is appreciated guys. Feel free to PM.

Fwee

I also have a Deluxe Wall Tent, and a side wall exit stove pipe hole.

The rule of thumb to use when determining how to set up your pipe is:

You need three times as many vertical sections of pipe for each section of horizontal pipe.

If you need 2 horizontal sections, you need 6 feet of vertical pipe to create adequate draft.

Start by opening the damper, and the air intake.

Then open the door.

This will allow smoke that has accumulated in the firebox to exit out the pipe easily, reducing the chances of backflash and filling your tent with smoke when you open the door.

We use a 10ft steel rod that is pounded into the ground, and a sliding support that holds the bottom of the last horizontal pipe. The pipe rises alongside the rod, and we attach it with a 8" hose clamp. Works well and stands to very strong winds. Was designed and built by a fabricator friend who is great at solving problems!