Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-27-2015, 10:59 AM

Default Best low price 8wt

So I don't have much to spend. Less than $200 more like $150. I saw bass pro and cabelas have a few outfits in my price range. I need a complete set up and just wondering if anyone has a recommendation rod and reel combo. Mostly for pike but I'm goin to Cook Islands and Australia this winter and would like it to handle some nice fish. Salt and fresh water
Old 10-27-2015, 11:10 AM

Check out streamside rods from wholesale sports, they are relatively cheap. Can say you'll be getting an amazing rod for that price range, but I understand money is tight for everyone.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
So I don't have much to spend. Less than $200 more like $150. I saw bass pro and cabelas have a few outfits in my price range. I need a complete set up and just wondering if anyone has a recommendation rod and reel combo. Mostly for pike but I'm goin to Cook Islands and Australia this winter and would like it to handle some nice fish. Salt and fresh water
U want to spend $150 for complete outfit
Line is $70 so that leaves u $80 for a rod
And reel. Yikes. I think u r better to find a
Used set up u will pay half price

If u buy a dragonfly rod there $80
Okuma reel at walmart $65
Line $70
Total $215 plus gst $228
U can probably find some combos
Line rod and reel around $150 but u get
Crappy line. Cheap reel single pahl

If I were u if u want new and not used
Up your budget
Old 10-27-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I just picked up the st.croix Rio Santos combo from cabelas and I'm pleasantly surprised on how well it casts I only use it for pike and some of the large lakes In b.c, the reel is pretty bad though, just upgrade the reel at some point and you'll be good.I did buy the 8wt.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:14 PM

Orvis Encounter 8wt outfit with rod reel line is $189.99 at wholesale sports. Haven't used one but I've heard they're pretty good for an inexpensive outfit.

Other than something like that I'd be looking at used as well in the under $200 price range.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
U want to spend $150 for complete outfit
Line is $70 so that leaves u $80 for a rod
And reel. Yikes. I think u r better to find a
Used set up u will pay half price

If u buy a dragonfly rod there $80
Okuma reel at walmart $65
Line $70
Total $215 plus gst $228
U can probably find some combos
Line rod and reel around $150 but u get
Crappy line. Cheap reel single pahl

If I were u if u want new and not used
Up your budget
So what's the difference between good and crappy line. All I've ever bought was cheep line and used it for years with zero complaints
Old 10-27-2015, 02:15 PM

I bought a Greys XF2 Salt from Wholesale Sports a couple years ago. Very nice rod under $300.

Whatever you choose, a couple things to keep in mind:
  • Get a rod and reel rated for saltwater use if you can. For reels that usually means at least a sealed drag system. I think you might be able to get away without a special salt rod.
  • Whatever you get, rinse it out thoroughly in fresh water each night after use.
  • You will probably have to get a different line for use on your vacation than what you might use for pike or salmon here. The reason for this is the heat and warm water. A line that would be good there will be very stiff in our cold water, and vice versa. I bought a special bone fish line when I went to Mexico. Perhaps others who have done a lot of fishing both north and south can comment further.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:02 PM
Banned

Most common manufacturers use saltwater grade hardware from 6wt and up.

Any reel will do as long as it can stop the fish you're after and not break down while doing so. Just rinse after each day.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:06 PM

If your looking to keep it under 200$ I highly recommend this cabelas rod. I bought the 5wt combo 3 years ago and I have put it through the ringer. I have been really rough with it, I even broke the tip off the end section and took it back to the store and they gave me an entire new set up no questions asked. Im alot more careful with my redington and echo rods but this cabelas rod has never failed, great drag system on the reel as well. Give the 8wt combo a look.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishi...0#productChart
Old 10-27-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
So what's the difference between good and crappy line. All I've ever bought was cheep line and used it for years with zero complaints
The coating is the diffrence. Cheap line usually cracks quickly
Good line usually is very smooth and easier to cast
For single handed rods I've had good luck with Rio

Sealed drag system combo for under 200. I've never seen
My small arbor sealed drag reel was $225 it is a 5/6
My large arbor sealed drag 8/9 was $300

Grey rods r great rods but were bought out by shakperse so
Good luck with warranty

I have 14 rods with reels line and rod not one of them cost me
Only $150 I might have one at $225 but nôt for salt water
Old 10-27-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
That is because you have no reference to a good line. Get a good rio line such as a good and you'll be shocked at the difference it makes.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:45 PM

Default 8 wt

If moneys tight do some research and keep an eye on kijiji lots of guys buy 8 wts for bones and pike rarely use them and up selling them for a lot less than they paid The tricky part will be your patience waiting for the opportunity
Old 10-27-2015, 08:26 PM

I have a reddington pursuit two peice and rio grande line I'm in Calgary pm if your interested and can give you a good deal but no reel. line and rod are both brand new.

Last edited by vital shok; 10-27-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
That is because you have no reference to a good line. Get a good rio line such as a good and you'll be shocked at the difference it makes.
Rio good is good
Old 10-27-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Rio good is good
You know it ol' son
Old 10-27-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Rio good is good
A step up from Rio Average. I think he meant Rio Gold.
I believe I read some good reviews on th Cabelas set up. Good be the best deal on a new set up.Or if the fishin hole has an 8 weight Orvis you can wait for the Boxing Day sale and get it a bit cheaper.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingTies View Post
If your looking to keep it under 200$ I highly recommend this cabelas rod. I bought the 5wt combo 3 years ago and I have put it through the ringer. I have been really rough with it, I even broke the tip off the end section and took it back to the store and they gave me an entire new set up no questions asked. Im alot more careful with my redington and echo rods but this cabelas rod has never failed, great drag system on the reel as well. Give the 8wt combo a look.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishi...0#productChart
That's the American website. Not on sale here is $350
Old 10-27-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak1138 View Post
A step up from Rio Average. I think he meant Rio Gold.
Yeah haha, I'm just giving my fishing buddy a hard time. Thanks for the clarification though
Old 10-27-2015, 10:27 PM

One thing I hate about cheap rods is they sacrifice on quality and u find out the worst way like hitting the rod with a big fly and rod breaks orknicking it and it breaks. Do your homework on write ups on the rod should help
Old 10-28-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
That's the American website. Not on sale here is $350
I made the trip down to Kalisepll. It was well worth it.

Just a suggestion...

Cheers.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:18 AM

I can't really help except to say it's too bad you weren't looking for this 2 months ago. The Fishin Hole had a great deal on William Joseph fly rods and reels, 40% off and get a free Catalyst chest pack if you bought both. I got a 7/8 weight rod, reel and chest pack for about $190 instead of $470 regular price.

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.c...oduct&se=27585
http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.c...oduct&se=27584
http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.c...oduct&se=29390

Again, I know it doesn't help you now but figured The Fishin Hole's wall-to-wall sale deserved to be mentioned. Over 2 months later and I'm still pretty stoked at the deal. Good luck in your search.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:52 PM

Thanks for all your help. I just picked up a tfo pro series with a white river Hobbs creek reel set up from bass pro for $210. So I'm super happy. I love tfo rods
Old 10-28-2015, 10:56 PM

I bought a TFO NXT combo a few years back and that set up has seen more miles, casts, and fish than my other 4 rods combined. It's a workhorse. And I'm not afraid of breaking it.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:42 AM

A couple days late for you , but fishin hole weekly sale features a TFO 8/9 weight for $104.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all your help. I just picked up a tfo pro series with a white river Hobbs creek reel set up from bass pro for $210. So I'm super happy. I love tfo rods
The TFO Pro 8 wt is a really good rod. It can handle everything from bonefish to pike. I am sure you will enjoy fishing with it.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:38 AM

It wouldn't hurt to just browse through Cabelas and see if they have any deals. I'm looking for a 5 or 6 WT and struck out but the Regina store had a Ross Essence on sale for I believe $180 since they are discontinued as well as a couple other 8WT. http://www.cabelas.ca/product/28889/...fishing-outfit

As JCJ said, the TFO NXT is supposed to be a great kit. I've done as much reading as I can since I just decided I want to try fly fishing and knew next to nothing about it. I've found lots of experienced fly anglers mention they prefer it over many of their more expensive setups. I'm most likely going to buy the NXT unless I find a screaming deal on something else. Been watching for almost 2 months now and have hardly seen any sales aside from Cabela's US site, but with our dollar being so weak it would have been a pretty marginal buy.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:53 AM

I know the OP is looking for an inexpensive option, but I think that it is a shame to cheap out on an 8wt. An 8wt is a workhorse. Bonefish, pike, bass, steelhead, salmon. If there is one set-up that is worth spending a little extra cash, it is an 8wt.

The other critical aspect to an 8wt is it needs to be comfortable to cast for long periods. Steelhead requires many many casts to catch a single fish. Bonefish require very quick accurate casts. With pike, an angler is casting a big fly (and then fighting a fairly big, angry fish).

If you are going to fight saltwater fish, you actually need a good reel.

The bargain combos are good but it seems like you would benefit from a better than average set up. A TFO BVK, Lamson reel, and saltwater line could come in under $400. It would last for the rest of your life for all sorts of awesome angling.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I used to think that way growing up using nothing but air cell. I purchased some orvis hyros and what a difference. With all the advances in blank technology the newer tapers are needed. It shows when you can cast a 3 wt nearly as far as a 5 or 6 wt. Try some new super lines if your using a newer faster graphite rod you will be very surprised with them.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
It wouldn't hurt to just browse through Cabelas and see if they have any deals. I'm looking for a 5 or 6 WT and struck out but the Regina store had a Ross Essence on sale for I believe $180 since they are discontinued as well as a couple other 8WT. http://www.cabelas.ca/product/28889/...fishing-outfit

As JCJ said, the TFO NXT is supposed to be a great kit. I've done as much reading as I can since I just decided I want to try fly fishing and knew next to nothing about it. I've found lots of experienced fly anglers mention they prefer it over many of their more expensive setups. I'm most likely going to buy the NXT unless I find a screaming deal on something else. Been watching for almost 2 months now and have hardly seen any sales aside from Cabela's US site, but with our dollar being so weak it would have been a pretty marginal buy.
Bass pros set up is the best deal I found. The tfo pro series is a step up from the nxt. And wasn't a fan of the drag system on the reel. Bass throws in one of their reels and that's the set up I got. Only down side is it doesn't come with a case but I already had one. It was a cheeper set by $90.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:32 AM

I have to echo the TFO Nxt praise. I've caught a ton of walleye and pike on that setup. The line that comes with it is garbage though...upgrade that as soon as you can!

I think you'll be very happy with any TFO product. Good rods, and awesome customer service if you need anything.

Bill