Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2020, 10:05 AM

Default Rock auto wins again

Guess I tend to order maintenance parts in quantity such as oil filters, air filters etc. I do a bit of price shopping but generally get the part number from Rock Auto and then plug that number into google to see if it is worth bringing them in from the USA. Most times even with conversion Rock auto beats the local price but then I have about an extra $15 to justify for the Fed Express delivery to my door whcih has always been 3 or at most 4 days from Rochester NY.
Recently when I googled oct 14 th I noticed Air filters for both my son and my truck were $1. + cheaper at Amazon and with my (recently cancelled) Prime membership shipping was free. Amazon promised guaranteed next day deliver so I ordered a bunch. Next day no sign of them. Day after I get notice on Amazon the delivery was attempted yesterday but the business was closed. Well I live 50 feet from that business and know I was here all day. Amazon says check for delivery attempt notification and contact (none big name courier) to give them delivery instructions. No tracks in snow of driveway and no attempted delivery card hanging on any doorknobs as I have seen done before so I called courier and they said couldn't deliver so sent it back to Amazon.
Ordered filters again and guaranteed delivery (weekend) was 2 days so they were supposed to be here yesterday. No show. Checked Amazon and "sorry (a different no name courier) couldnt deliver by promised date but should be there within 48 hours or you can cancel order".
It is not like I need them urgently but the problem seems to be drivers from these small companies seem to be high turnover and while we had one great one a year or so ago who delivered regularly all the other drivers seemed to be about a 50-50 chance of delivery and having to reorder. Now Fed Ex, Purolater and UPS seem able to find me for both deliveries and pick ups and there are detailed directions on finding the rural property on all of my accounts including Amazon but once again the second order appears to have been returned to Amazon today. Ordered from Rock Auto this morning and they will be here Wednesday by Fed Ex. Rant over I just wasted 5 days trying to get them from Amazon.ca now I have to get them to cancel 2 charges to my credit card
Old 10-19-2020, 10:15 AM

That's crazy!

We've had good luck with our local courier (Intelcom Express) so far... That being said, I did have one item that was listed as undeliverable (an RV door latch), but it only made it as far as the CAN/US border before it went back to Amazon. The odd part about that is that I needed to follow up on the shipment in order to get my refund. Have to stay on top of those things, I suppose.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:10 AM

Only recently have started checking rock auto. On the weekend I noticed daughters struts on front of car were pooched so call the regular local parts outfits. Imagine my surprise when I got quoted 515 and 466$ each per strut. Rockauto total price shipped for 2 was 416$. I check them with everything now
Old 10-19-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gade81 View Post
Only recently have started checking rock auto. On the weekend I noticed daughters struts on front of car were pooched so call the regular local parts outfits. Imagine my surprise when I got quoted 515 and 466$ each per strut. Rockauto total price shipped for 2 was 416$. I check them with everything now
It's crazy isn't it. Quoted Bosch quietcast rotors locally for $144 each. Rockauto, $35 each and $70 in shipping.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:31 AM
Banned

Made two separate orders on Friday (Amazon). Both were delivered by Intelcom this morning.
I've had 63 orders with Amazon this year so far...all but one have arrived within the stated time.
What can I say...other than your rant is falling on deaf ears
Old 10-19-2020, 12:05 PM

It must be the address, does it come up on google maps? Maybe make a business listing on a google page and get your address on there?

I remember on the farm we could move the pin that google used years back somehow.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2020, 01:24 PM

Default Right in the delivery insturctions

Google Maps for Whitewolf Gamebird Hatchery will bring you right to the front door.
Interesting as Intelcom was the company that was supposed to deliver yesterday.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:57 PM

My wife was expecting a package and received an "attempted delivery" notice. She thought that odd, as she'd been home all day, and indicated there was no way they'd attempted to deliver the package. She call them the next day, and it was essentially, "Our delivery driver was running late that day and didn't make an attempted, we'll deliver the item today.". Kinda sounded like it's standard practice, if you can't deliver the last several packages by the end of the day, just head back to the warehouse and say you attempted delivery.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:04 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

always pays to shop around hopefully no issues shipping etc along the way....its your wallet but man never had an issues with amazon to date....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-19-2020, 03:52 PM

Have done 4 Rockauto orders in the last two months. Savings is amazing. Timely shipping as well. No complaints so far..
Old 10-19-2020, 07:40 PM

Last fall, I ordered a reconditioned transfer case for my truck through Rock Auto. After core return, it was less money than a used one from Pick n Pull. I have ordered alot of stuff from them, but also try to support the local auto parts stores if the price difference isn't too huge.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:20 PM

Amazon sucks. Pricing from my experience can be had cheaper locally more often than not. Not a fan.

Rock Auto on the other hand has been very good.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:37 PM

And I've had the exact opposite experience. I've ordered tens of thousands worth of parts from RA in the past and was very happy with the prices and service, however... the last ten or so orders have been incorrect, late or never showed up at all. RA has no phone number to contact them as they used to. I gave up and give most of my auto parts business to Parts King and a couple of shops I've been dealing with for ages. Parts King is usually about the same price as RA and can be picked up or delivered within 24 hours.
As for Amazon, I don't really order auto parts from Amazon but have never had an issue with the delivery of anything I've ordered. Usually it Intelcom that delivers and their service has been top notch. I don't say that lightly as they put me out of business when they came to Edmonton about 18 years ago.
They send an email letting me know it's out for delivery and then send me an email when it's been delivered letting me know who signed for it or a couple of pictures showing where they left it on my porch.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
My wife was expecting a package and received an "attempted delivery" notice. She thought that odd, as she'd been home all day, and indicated there was no way they'd attempted to deliver the package. She call them the next day, and it was essentially, "Our delivery driver was running late that day and didn't make an attempted, we'll deliver the item today.". Kinda sounded like it's standard practice, if you can't deliver the last several packages by the end of the day, just head back to the warehouse and say you attempted delivery.
I've had this a few times. I've wondered if this is a default to fulfill their delivery contracts with Amazon.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
And I've had the exact opposite experience. I've ordered tens of thousands worth of parts from RA in the past and was very happy with the prices and service, however... the last ten or so orders have been incorrect, late or never showed up at all. RA has no phone number to contact them as they used to. I gave up and give most of my auto parts business to Parts King and a couple of shops I've been dealing with for ages. Parts King is usually about the same price as RA and can be picked up or delivered within 24 hours.
As for Amazon, I don't really order auto parts from Amazon but have never had an issue with the delivery of anything I've ordered. Usually it Intelcom that delivers and their service has been top notch. I don't say that lightly as they put me out of business when they came to Edmonton about 18 years ago.
They send an email letting me know it's out for delivery and then send me an email when it's been delivered letting me know who signed for it or a couple of pictures showing where they left it on my porch.
The last several deliveries have been without pictures. Placement is sometimes suspect (my bench at the beginning of the sidewalk that is only used by visitors?). I did have to call about a year or two back as somebody was dropping parcels at the beginning of the driveway, in full view of the traffic and out of view of the house. I will say they were great and dealt with it.